Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

Worst Coaching staff in D1

hosftra...Every weight getting bonused/beat in 1st round of Scuffle except for 5th year Senior Hughes who is a Beast and recruited by former HC. They go to Scuffle with 14 wrestlers and have only Hughes wrestling in 2nd session,,everyone else already eliminated... Hire the right staff and stop the debacle in Long Island, 

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

Every weight getting bonused/beat in 1st round of Scuffle except for 5th year Senior Hughes who is a Beast and recruited by former HC. They go to Scuffle with 14 wrestlers and have 1 wrestling in 2nd session. Hire the right staff and stop the debacle in Long Island,

Dylan  Palacio is from Long Island and gives excellent motivational speeches - just sayin'.

Paul Schmidt...7 miles away and would be a solid guy to have in the helm to run the business aspect.  He knows the area,  I think he could do some solid things with Hofstra.

Coaching Record- Nassau CC 1996-2017 
8 NJCAA National Championships 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
2 NJCAA Dual Meet National Championships 2004, 2005
15 District Wrestling Championships Championships
16 District Coach of the Year Awards
NJCAA National Wrestling Coach of the Year   2003, 2009, 2011, 2012,2013, 2016
National Wrestling Hall of Fame 2015
NJCAA Wrestling Hall of Fame 2010
Nassau Community College Hall of Fame 2012

Every weight getting bonused/beat in 1st round of Scuffle except for 5th year Senior Hughes who is a Beast and recruited by former HC. They go to Scuffle with 14 wrestlers and have only Hughes wrestling in 2nd session,,everyone else already eliminated... Hire the right staff and stop the debacle in Long Island,

Hughes is a big boy. Would be nice to see him go far at NCAAs this year.

Cornell

Bing 

Buffalo

Columbia

Are all schools I would prefer to go to over hofstra, they are all better academically and two ivy leagues that are the same price as hofstra.

Dennis is a great guy, but Hofstra needs a big name coach that can help make the program relevant again... Damian Hahn, Troy Nickerson, Casey Cunningham, Jake Varner, DT, Dake, Burroughs... Would be GREAT opportunities to see some of these guys begin their coaching career. 

Paul Schmidt...7 miles away and would be a solid guy to have in the helm to run the business aspect.  He knows the area,  I think he could do some solid things with Hofstra.

Coaching Record- Nassau CC 1996-2017 

8 NJCAA National Championships 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

2 NJCAA Dual Meet National Championships 2004, 2005

15 District Wrestling Championships Championships

16 District Coach of the Year Awards

NJCAA National Wrestling Coach of the Year   2003, 2009, 2011, 2012,2013, 2016

National Wrestling Hall of Fame 2015

NJCAA Wrestling Hall of Fame 2010

Nassau Community College Hall of Fame 2012

Paul Schmidt is a great man. He'd do a heck of a job turning around the Hofstra program. He's a bit long in the tooth, so his years there would be a nice set-up for someone else to come in and keep progressing upon what Paul built.

Dennis is a great guy, but Hofstra needs a big name coach that can help make the program relevant again... Damian Hahn, Troy Nickerson, Casey Cunningham, Jake Varner, DT, Dake, Burroughs... Would be GREAT opportunities to see some of these guys begin their coaching career. 

Hofstra has pretty strict roster management and no way the school would pay the money those names would command. The landscape of the school that Dennis has now is considerably different than what Tom Ryan had. 

Hofstra has pretty strict roster management and no way the school would pay the money those names would command. The landscape of the school that Dennis has now is considerably different than what Tom Ryan had. 

Agree but this is not about the Tom Ryan era (11 years ago)...Showing up at not great Scuffle with 14 wrestlers and having 1 guy make the night session in day 1 is bad...Hofstra wasn't close to even being competitive in the 1st round. 

Hofstra 1st round

125- L pinned

133- L  by tech 17-1

141- L  by tech 15-0

149- L pinned and L 16-2

157- L by Major 9-0

165- L by Major 12-4

174- L by tech 17-0 and lost 10-3

184- L by tech 18-2 and lost by Major 9-1

197- L by Major 12-4

285- W by fall in 2 minutes.* only wrestler recruited by former staff. 

Hire the right staff and bring back a decent D1 Team to Long Island! Stop with Excuses!

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

and yet the 2 coaches after Tom Ryan were still able to get guys in who went on to be ranked and qualify for nationals and in a few instances AA. The only guy on Hofstra's current roster who is ranked and a national qualifier and also the only guy who wrestled today was recruited and signed by Rob Anspach

Wasn't Hofstra terrible when Ryan arrived?   Why can't it happen again?  Not necessarily Tom Ryan success but something along the lines of being competitive in your conference and getting 4-5 to NCAA's?  

And I agree with the poster who brought up how poor Hofstra's performance was.  The Scuffle is pedestrian this year.  Why is their roster so bad?

these are the worst kind of posts on the mat dot com. either you actually care about the program and are invested in their long term success and have merely chosen a terrible medium for expressing your concern, or you are just enjoy pointing out poor performances and get a kick out of publicly calling for someone to get fired. 

the latter is pitiful. the former can do some good, but I suggest first learning far more about the program in question, about the dozens if not hundreds of factors that go into assessing the performance of the coach, and then work with the university and admin to help improve the program.

just a suggestion. and apologies for giving this awful thread a bump. 

these are the worst kind of posts on the mat dot com. either you actually care about the program and are invested in their long term success and have merely chosen a terrible medium for expressing your concern, or you are just enjoy pointing out poor performances and get a kick out of publicly calling for someone to get fired.

the latter is pitiful. the former can do some good, but I suggest first learning far more about the program in question, about the dozens if not hundreds of factors that go into assessing the performance of the coach, and then work with the university and admin to help improve the program.

just a suggestion. and apologies for giving this awful thread a bump.

did it occur to you that the people who make these criticisms have been and are invested in the program? Have you not seen the way that program has been trending since the coaching change? This isn’t the first time someone has expressed their feelings on how a coach is running a program and it won’t be the last

did it occur to you that the people who make these criticisms have been and are invested in the program? Have you not seen the way that program has been trending since the coaching change? This isn’t the first time someone has expressed their feelings on how a coach is running a program and it won’t be the last

obviously it occurred to me. the whole reason I wrote what I did was because it in my estimation the OP is not involved at all with the program. if I am wrong, then they are merely, imo, expressing their concern in an inappropriate manner. 

I'm familiar with the program and what's going on at Hofstra. more so than just looking at the team's performance at tournaments and duals. Hofstra is facing an uphill battle for many factors completely out of control of the head coach or administration. the biggest obstacle is that there is no longer an east coast conference of peer institutions. Hofstra is in the EIWA, which is mostly comprised of Ivy League and Patriot League schools. a better fit was the old Colonial Athletic Conference, which featured more similar schools such as Wagner, James Madison and Boston University. Those schools no longer have teams and the Colonial Conference is no more. 

that's just one huge factor among many others. I'm sure Coach Papadatos is not looking for excuses or message board defenders but that is the reality. It's good that people care about the health and sustainability of programs like Hofstra. I would suggest (and it's a just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it) that if you are sincere in your concern that you call or write to the coaches and admins and ask what you can do to help. it will be far more constructive than a hysterical message board thread calling for the coaching staff to be summarily fired after a poor showing at the Southern Scuffle. 

obviously it occurred to me. the whole reason I wrote what I did was because it in my estimation the OP is not involved at all with the program. if I am wrong, then they are merely, imo, expressing their concern in an inappropriate manner.

I'm familiar with the program and what's going on at Hofstra. more so than just looking at the team's performance at tournaments and duals. Hofstra is facing an uphill battle for many factors completely out of control of the head coach or administration. the biggest obstacle is that there is no longer an east coast conference of peer institutions. Hofstra is in the EIWA, which is mostly comprised of Ivy League and Patriot League schools. a better fit was the old Colonial Athletic Conference, which featured more similar schools such as Wagner, James Madison and Boston University. Those schools no longer have teams and the Colonial Conference is no more.

that's just one huge factor among many others. I'm sure Coach Papadatos is not looking for excuses or message board defenders but that is the reality. It's good that people care about the health and sustainability of programs like Hofstra. I would suggest (and it's a just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it) that if you are sincere in your concern that you call or write to the coaches and admins and ask what you can do to help. it will be far more constructive than a hysterical message board thread calling for the coaching staff to be summarily fired after a poor showing at the Southern Scuffle.

the op along with others aren’t voicing their concern just off of a poor showing at the southern Scuffle alone it’s been a downhill slope since the change. You mentioned the EIWA but Hofstra’s first year in the conference they finished in the top 5 how could they go from being a top 5 team to a bottom tier team in that conference in the span of 1 year? The only guys they lost in that span were Booth Fraco and Vaith and replaced both with Hudson and Passaro top tier recruits coming out of NY both of which never finished their tenure at Hofstra Edited by NYWRESTLER94

the op along with others aren’t voicing their concern just off of a poor showing at the southern Scuffle alone it’s been a downhill slope since the change. You mentioned the EIWA but Hofstra’s first year in the conference they finished in the top 5 how could they go from being a top 5 team to a bottom tier team in that conference in the span of 1 year? The only guys they lost in that span were Booth Fraco and Vaith and replaced both with Hudson and Passaro top tier recruits coming out of NY both of which never finished their tenure at Hofstra

yes thanks, I'm aware of all that. I stand by comments.