Sign in to follow this  
matts1w

How About Duke?

Unless things have changed, it seems a completely underfunded/minimal scholarships/little supported from admin Duke wrestling team is having a heck of a Southern Scuffle.  Maybe this will be a turning point for a program that seems on the verge of being cut year after year.     

Anyway, I just figured they deserve some attention on here as they are wrestling tough.

Glen Lanham & staff doing a great job. If my sons had choice between money for schools, I’d push him to Duke for the education and staff.

These kids need to wise up and go to the Duke’s, Standford’s, Harvard’s, Columbia’s, Northwestern’s, of the world and get a free world class legacy education and make real money & life long connections. Working wrestling camps the rest of your life doesn’t pay.

Go to a few bar restaurants every year for post NCAA finals dinners and drinks, especially in NYC, with many teams there. In one corner was the broke down Iowa guys, hobbling 40 years old dressed in $10 wrinkled GAP shirts, tobacco ‘chaw’, unshowered,, gobbling Taco Bell. In the other corner were Stanford and Harvard grads, dressed like grown-ups, quiet money, behaving & eating well. I’ll take the later...

Glen Lanham & staff doing a great job. If my sons had choice between money for schools, I’d push him to Duke for the education and staff.

These kids need to wise up and go to the Duke’s, Standford’s, Harvard’s, Columbia’s, Northwestern’s, of the world and get a free world class legacy education and make real money & life long connections. Working wrestling camps the rest of your life doesn’t pay.

Go to a few bar restaurants every year for post NCAA finals dinners and drinks, especially in NYC, with many teams there. In one corner was the broke down Iowa guys, hobbling 40 years old dressed in $10 wrinkled GAP shirts, tobacco ‘chaw’, unshowered,, gobbling Taco Bell. In the other corner were Stanford and Harvard grads, dressed like grown-ups, quiet money, behaving & eating well. I’ll take the later...

KMF is the one zipping his pants up while stepping out from behind the curtain.  His old lady is the one with the sh!t eatin' grin.

When you get a Stanford or Harvard degree, you're selling the name and not necessarily the education.  The arrogance of your post is boring.

They write Ohio State diplomas in crayon, on the side of a kid’s menu. You’re right, the world really needs more wicked smart Ohio State dopes climbing live cell towers

Point still stands - the longevity, pay opportunity, and professional opportunities for wrestlers in the sport are minimal; Be honest to kids about that. The collegiate wrestling sport probably has the highest % of 1st-time-in-family-college-attendees and I bet it’s not even close.

The meathead mentality ruins the sport long term for growth & support.

Not encouraging kids to take advantage of the opportunities to put good wrestlers into the top technical & Ivy type schools to become future doctors, engineers, scientists is the dumbest thing to do. The irony is on the women’s side, the best academic schools are putting out, in general, the best performing sports team.

took a nice sentiment and ruined it with the last paragraph. stop smearing the decent folks who graduated from duke, stanford et al with that miserable attitude. gross.

"I'll take the later..."??

Geez, if you are going to be pretentious at least get the expression right. It's "I'll take the latter"; meaning the second of your two choices, as opposed to a choice made at some indefinite future point in time. 

They write Ohio State diplomas in crayon, on the side of a kid’s menu. You’re right, the world really needs more wicked smart Ohio State dopes climbing live cell towers

Point still stands - the longevity, pay opportunity, and professional opportunities for wrestlers in the sport are minimal; Be honest to kids about that. The collegiate wrestling sport probably has the highest % of 1st-time-in-family-college-attendees and I bet it’s not even close.

The meathead mentality ruins the sport long term for growth & support.

Not encouraging kids to take advantage of the opportunities to put good wrestlers into the top technical & Ivy type schools to become future doctors, engineers, scientists is the dumbest thing to do. The irony is on the women’s side, the best academic schools are putting out, in general, the best performing sports team.

Ok, genius:  Where did you go to school?  

I'm guessing two digits...the first number ain't round on the top. 

Duke has put someone on the podium in each year after Lanham's first, has had 9 guys nationally ranked, has taken half the lineup to nationals without much funding, and has produced teams within the top 10 of the GPA ranking. Their two All Americans in that span, Hartmann and Kasper, were only recruited by one D1 school. This is all after scoring 0 points the year prior to hiring Glen Lanham. The staff is continuing to produce and develop high level wrestlers 

Unless things have changed, it seems a completely underfunded/minimal scholarships/little supported from admin Duke wrestling team is having a heck of a Southern Scuffle.  Maybe this will be a turning point for a program that seems on the verge of being cut year after year.     

Anyway, I just figured they deserve some attention on here as they are wrestling tough.

+1

If the "Iowa guys" are in a restaurant or bar "gobbling Taco Bell", shouldn't their abstemious nature be recognized for avoiding over-priced food and possible corkage fees (especially in NYC)?

Perhaps the Stanford (my mother was an alum) and Harvard guys should take note?  This way, they could use some of those savings for more of their quiet money angel investing ventures.

Then again, I'm a State school alum (the large one in Pennsylvania), so what would I know...

With the need for advanced degrees now, no one really cares where you go to undergrad, it's graduate school that counts.

This isn't necessarily true though because the so called "prestige" of your undergraduate school can give you some kind of advantage in applying to graduate schools. It isn't everything, but in many fields the name recognition still matters. And these schools often have well built alumni networks which helps in job placement 

"I'll take the later..."??

Geez, if you are going to be pretentious at least get the expression right. It's "I'll take the latter"; meaning the second of your two choices, as opposed to a choice made at some indefinite future point in time. 

Chaos is a latter

....we just moved out of a neighborhood that was full of "dressed like grown-ups, behaving and eating well" driving their imports to a neighborhood that has "broke down Iowa guys" , deer, fox, and a lot of Ford's.  If I was in a bar restaurant and a fight broke out, I know where the  

punk a*s "grown ups" would run- out to their imports and gone.... I'll take the Iowa style 24/7......

If the "Iowa guys" are in a restaurant or bar "gobbling Taco Bell", shouldn't their abstemious nature be recognized for avoiding over-priced food and possible corkage fees (especially in NYC)?

Perhaps the Stanford (my mother was an alum) and Harvard guys should take note? This way, they could use some of those savings for more of their quiet money angel investing ventures.

Then again, I'm a State school alum (the large one in Pennsylvania), so what would I know...

There's different social classes in society. I hang with upper lower class with lower upper class. It's a great mix.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007