Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Tom Ryan will be accused of blatant seed protection

Ryan has said numerous times that until duals become more important, coaches will consider the current set up when making decisions.  

But a dual could be viewed as more important if a National Champ is wrestling in it, vs a backup wrestling in his place.

And tournaments like Midlands and the Scuffle are not important anymore with the new improved watered down versions.

I really like the direction D1 wrestling is going in.

Wake me up when conferences get here, at least the best show up for those unless we are looking at more 2 second defaults.

If, as he announced on the radio, NaTo will wrestle Friday vs. Maryland then NOT WRESTLE Sunday vs. Rutgers Nick Suriano. Can't get any more blatant than that.

Yeah, and he spearheads the whole duals matter movement? Cripes. 

I'd be inclined to disagree if Ryan weren't already a serial offender. 

And tournaments like Midlands and the Scuffle are not important anymore with the new improved watered down versions.

I really like the direction D1 wrestling is going in.

Wake me up when conferences get here, at least the best show up for those unless we are looking at more 2 second defaults.

Coaches and athletes are judged on how they do in March.  And the seeding criteria overwhelmingly encourages protecting your seed by avoiding matches and wrestling a short schedule.  And actually on the mat results do as well - if you limit the grind of a long season you are not only healthier, but your opponents have less tape on you.  The way the system is set up basically makes it so everything before conference tournaments has no real lasting impact beyond having an influence on seeding for the postseason.

I don't know how to fix it, but college wrestling is broke because of the overwhelming focus on the NCAA tournament being the only thing that matters.  And we're only starting to see the impact of guys realizing this.  I think each year is going to get worse until things come to a head. 

Edited by ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

Dude is a former national champ and needs to get some bouts under his belt and test where his knee is.  Would be totally dumb to wrestle Suriano this soon.  All comes out in the wash in March anyways, so who cares?  tOSU will throw out sacrificial lamb Mead to Suriano so fans will get to see Nick compete.  Much ado about nothing.

Dude is a former national champ and needs to get some bouts under his belt and test where his knee is.  Would be totally dumb to wrestle Suriano this soon.  All comes out in the wash in March anyways, so who cares?  tOSU will throw out sacrificial lamb Mead to Suriano so fans will get to see Nick compete.  Much ado about nothing.

Clearly you're being reasonable.  Stop it.  

Coaches and athletes are judged on how they do in March.  And the seeding criteria overwhelmingly encourages protecting your seed by avoiding matches and wrestling a short schedule.  And actually on the mat results do as well - if you limit the grind of a long season you are not only healthier, but your opponents have less tape on you.  The way the system is set up basically makes it so everything before conference tournaments has no real lasting impact beyond having an influence on seeding for the postseason.

I don't know how to fix it, but college wrestling is broke because of the overwhelming focus on the NCAA tournament being the only thing that matters.  And we're only starting to see the impact of guys realizing this.  I think each year is going to get worse until things come to a head. 

I agree 100%.  Most of the top college guys were already seasoned wrestlers coming out of HS with tons of experience and the need to constantly compete especially when you have better partners than ever (NCAA rostered and RTC guys) is not as necessary as the past.

College wrestling is extremely broken.

If, as he announced on the radio, NaTo will wrestle Friday vs. Maryland then NOT WRESTLE Sunday vs. Rutgers Nick Suriano. Can't get any more blatant than that.

Yeah, and he spearheads the whole duals matter movement? Cripes.

After Hunter Stieber i don’t care. Call it what you will.

Seed Tomasello 6th or where you see fit.

Tomasello and Suriano will settle Nationals seeding at the Big 10 meet.  This is not a big deal.

so if Tomasello were to beat Suriano at B10 then how far will Suriano fall in seedings and where do they put Tomasello? 

And, Tomasello will have no RPI, correct?  He will also not have top 10 quality wins, or head to head, against guys like Picc, Cruz, LaMont, Russel, and Bresser.  Also, few common opponents to assess.  So that's 4 of the 7 criteria with a lot of missing data.  

Personally, I don't think it will matter where he is seeded.

Edited by ionel