pish6969

Ryan seed protecting

So he's been injured all the first part of the season?  Just wrestling his first match this weekend?  And Ryan is going to ease him back into things?

Good coaching move, IMO, I've got no problem with that.  Added bonus - the PSU fans will all cry "Seed Protection"!  (Fake News?)

BTW, number of wins and quality wins all factor into seeding - so holding him back may not necessarily be best for his seeding, although it may be the right thing to do.

Edited by redblades

If he's returning for the first time since injury and making 125 for the first time in a couple years why would you want to start against the number 2 guy. Ease into things. He doesn't have a seed to protect at this point anyways due to not having any matches on the season.

tOSU fans can spin it how they want.

Sad part is I’m sure NATO wants this match but he’s not the coach and has no say in the matter.

NATO a warrior. Coach not so much

You’re either ready to go or not. “Ease into it” is a total copout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

It's makes 100% sense to have NaTo sit out against Suriano given the injury and he'd have to make weight twice in three days.  Of course it sucks as a fan but he's doing what's best for his wrestler.

Cory Clark sat out against NaTo in the dual last year, turns out that was the right call. 

Edited by Gantry

It's makes 100% sense to have NaTo sit out against Suriano given the injury and he'd have to make weight twice in three days.  Of course it sucks as a fan but he's doing what's best for his wrestler.

Cory Clark sat out against NaTo in the dual last year, turns out that was the right call. 

Stop making sense.

I just don't get it. A January win or loss versus Suriano is meaningless because the result will be irrelevant until the March matchup. When is wrestling going to become fan friendly again? Ryan also pulled Bojo against Hall last year. This from the guy that preaches the need and importance of duals for fans. Give me a break...

It's makes 100% sense to have NaTo sit out against Suriano given the injury and he'd have to make weight twice in three days. .

He only has to make weight once. Wrestle Sunday and skip Friday if you worried about weigh ins

Edited by pish6969

He only has to make weight once. Wrestle Sunday and skip Friday if you worried about weigh ins

Weight, injury, rust.  If you were coaching him would you really bring him back against Suriano?  No folkstyle matches in 9+ months, hasn't made 125 with 1 hour weighins in nearly two years.  Put him right in against Suriano instead of getting some mat time with Maryland?  He's not ready for that match, there's no shame in that.

The best thing for Nathan Tomasello right now is to only wrestle against Maryland and get back into the swing of things.  Hating on Ryan for this seems preposterous to me. To me this has nothing  to do with seed protection...

I just don't get it. A January win or loss versus Suriano is meaningless because the result will be irrelevant until the March matchup. When is wrestling going to become fan friendly again? Ryan also pulled Bojo against Hall last year. This from the guy that preaches the need and importance of duals for fans. Give me a break...

Wasn't BoJo battling a nasty foot injury most of last season? Would certainly explain why he didn't wrestle a large portion of the season.. 

Weight, injury, rust.  If you were coaching him would you really bring him back against Suriano?  No folkstyle matches in 9+ months, hasn't made 125 with 1 hour weighins in nearly two years.  Put him right in against Suriano instead of getting some mat time with Maryland?  He's not ready for that match, there's no shame in that.

The best thing for Nathan Tomasello right now is to only wrestle against Maryland and get back into the swing of things.  Hating on Ryan for this seems preposterous to me. To me this has nothing  to do with seed protection...

If it has nothing to do with seed protection, then what is the worry about wrestling against Suriano?  Is NATO injured too much to wrestle Suriano, but not the Maryland wrestler? 

I can't see this as having ANYTHING to do with seed protecting.  This is simply easing an ESSENTIAL component back into things when that component was injured and missed the 1st half of the season.  Sort of like the beginning of the year schedules for most teams that wrestle pretty weak opens and DII or DIII opponents.  He missed that 1st month or so, so now his coach is looking for a similar way for him to assimilate.  

Now, I am not saying Ryan hasn't earned his reputation for doing what he is being accused of, but I just don't think this situation fits.  

It's definitely not seed protection, he's just looking out for his athlete. How you feel about that is a whole different story but he is not protecting seeds.

Is he worried that NATO will get injured against Suriano, but not against the Maryland wrestler?  Otherwise, it is seed protection, which is a way of looking out for the athlete, but let's call it what it is.

Regarding BoJo he missed a lot of matches last year and for good reason (that reason wasn’t a secret btw and wasn’t his kids) yet certain fans screamed seed protection. Did you notice how Ryan came into the season raving about how healthy BoJo is and he’s wrestled 99% of his matches so far this season? Nate is coming back from an injury that sidelined him the entire first semester you can’t find me a coach who would put their wrestler in that situation he would face Sunday as someone noted Iowa sat Clark against Tomasello last year and i don’t remember too much whining about it and it actually was the right call.

Nevertheless, he is very far from being Suriano.

If NATO's knee is injured to the point that he will risk further injury against Suriano, then putting him out on the mat against the Maryland wrestler with the knee in the same condition is not looking out for NATO's best interest, health-wise.

If NATO's knee is injured to the point that he will risk further injury against Suriano, then putting him out on the mat against the Maryland wrestler with the knee in the same condition is not looking out for NATO's best interest, health-wise.

It isn't so much about worrying about him getting injured as it is getting him prepared to actually be able to wrestle at the level necessary to compete with a Suriano.  This is no different than MMA or Boxing scheduling several soft opponents for a guy and slowly building up his confidence and getting a good look at his performances to gauge where he is at.

Simply put, there is NO benefit to throwing him right into a match with currently the best guy at the weight.  Protecting a seed, which it literally can't do with how little he has remaining on the schedule, has nothing to do with it!

Edited by MSU158

If NATO's knee is injured to the point that he will risk further injury against Suriano, then putting him out on the mat against the Maryland wrestler with the knee in the same condition is not looking out for NATO's best interest, health-wise.

He is a redshirt senior with

If it’s the latter, then he might have 2-3 matches with a Suriano type “left” in the season before he literally cannot wrestle at all. Feels like an understandable and wise coaching move to me and not seed protection this time.

I also don’t even get why it would be seed protection since Nato will have to face Suriano (or now Lee, or both) anyway at B1G before seeds get calculated.

Edited by wrestlingnerd