pish6969

Ryan seed protecting

We have a similar situation going on in the NBA right now. Isaiah Thomas of the Cavs was out 7 months. Made his debut last night and team announced he would be sitting out the next game against his former team.

Coach Ryan knows they do not hand out trophies in January. If they did, Suriano would have been an AA last season, at the very minimum.

Past history indicates that NATO will be ready to compete when it matters most, in Cleveland.

You all need to take a deep breath.  From what Ryan said, if NaTo is healthy after this week, he is planning on starting against the Gophers next week.  If memory serves, they have a pretty decent 125 pounder so NaTo is not exactly ducking everybody.  I think Ryan would be more rippable for putting NaTo out against Suriano without a warm up match -

It isn't so much about worrying about him getting injured as it is getting him prepared to actually be able to wrestle at the level necessary to compete with a Suriano.  This is no different than MMA or Boxing scheduling several soft opponents for a guy and slowly building up his confidence and getting a good look at his performances to gauge where he is at.

Simply put, there is NO benefit to throwing him right into a match with currently the best guy at the weight.  Protecting a seed, which it literally can't do with how little he has remaining on the schedule, has nothing to do with it!

I get what you are saying and I agree this is the correct way to handle NATO's situation.  However, I was responding to those who insist it is a decision based entirely on the knee, and not on being able to compete and win against the caliber of wrestler that Suriano represents.

Well, the knee impacts preparation, cardio, everything. His knee may be well, but much like Spencer Lee, what are the chances either is at 100% when they just started going live in practice two and maybe one or less months, respectively? Their knees could be 100% but there’s almost no chance they are without more training.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Is he worried that NATO will get injured against Suriano, but not against the Maryland wrestler?  Otherwise, it is seed protection, which is a way of looking out for the athlete, but let's call it what it is.

There is no world where Nato would get seeded over Suriano at the current time.

Absolute joke. Ryan announced NATO wrestling Friday vs Maryland but will sit out vs Suriano Sunday.

He couldn’t sit out bs Maryland and wrestle a Suriano?

Weak sauce

Looks like we both came up with the same thought simultaneously. 

You don't bring a guy back after 3 months on the sideline and throw him straight into a dogfight.  You guys can't really be this dense...

You don't bring a guy back after 3 months on the sideline and throw him straight into a dogfight. You guys can't really be this dense...

If he’s not ready then don’t wrestle until he is and I’d have no issue with that. When you have two duals and you choose the weaker one, that’s where I have a problem.

Ryan did same thing with Bojo last year. Sat him vs Hall and 2 days later wrestled him against Rutgers.

I’m a PSU fan and if Cael did this, I’d be right here stating its BS as well.

I have no agenda other than to call this BS out.

Again. I am NOT advocating throwing an injured wrestler out there. If you’re not healthy then rest up, don’t pick and choose your competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct.

And now that less regular season matches kills you seeding I'm sure Nato will have that taken into account, regardless of B10 performance.

So if NATO wrestled Suriano this weekend, winning or losing the match would have no effect (same effect?) on his Big Ten seeding?  I disagree.

Ducking for seeding purposes would be avoiding a loss to Suriano to keep a perfect record thus getting the top seed due to 100% win percentage.

but Suriano will have the better B1G record once the postseason comes so there’s no way you could seed Tomasello ahead of him

If he’s not ready then don’t wrestle until he is and I’d have no issue with that. When you have two duals and you choose the weaker one, that’s where I have a problem.

Ryan did same thing with Bojo last year. Sat him vs Hall and 2 days later wrestled him against Rutgers.

Again. I am NOT advocating throwing an injured wrestler out there. If you’re not healthy then rest up, don’t pick and choose your competition

Nico sat an entire season to hide from Delgado. So did Retherford!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

Ducking for seeding purposes would be avoiding a loss to Suriano to keep a perfect record thus getting the top seed due to 100% win percentage.

Might keep him ranked #1 (in say wrestlestat) but that's not going to work for seeding.  His win percentage is currently 0.0, skipping Rutgers and he only has ~8 possible matches before B10.  B10 might seed him top 4 (don't think he will get #1 over an undefeated Suriano) but he won't get much love from the NCAA seeding.

Might keep him ranked #1 (in say wrestlestat) but that's not going to work for seeding.  His win percentage is currently 0.0, skipping Rutgers and he only has ~8 possible matches before B10.  B10 might seed him top 4 (don't think he will get #1 over an undefeated Suriano) but he won't get much love from the NCAA seeding.

He would if he won B1G's by defeating Suriano in the finals.

Why do NBA players returning from injury start off with minute restrictions?  Snap counts in the NFL... pitch counts in the MLB... I suppose none of them know what they're doing.  

This really isn't a difficult concept.  Wrestling is full of antiquated logic, but it would appear our coaches are getting a little smarter. Hell, if Tom & Terry can figure this out, maybe you can too.  

I see no issue in this... The same people that are crying that Ryan is a "blah blah blah" are those same people who believe that Ryan forced Hunter Stieber into wrestling too soon from his surgeries.  

Gimme a break, get a life.  Move on, and let's see how things pan out in March. 

He would if he won B1G's by defeating Suriano in the finals.

don't think so, you should check the seeding criteria.  What if an 8 match wrestler knocks off undefeated Cruz in the EIWA or an 8 match wrestlers knocks of Bresser in the PAC or Picc in the B12?

Why do NBA players returning from injury start off with minute restrictions? Snap counts in the NFL... pitch counts in the MLB... I suppose none of them know what they're doing.

This really isn't a difficult concept. Wrestling is full of antiquated logic, but it would appear our coaches are getting a little smarter. Hell, if Tom & Terry can figure this out, maybe you can too.

I’ve never seen any of those sports restrict people due to competition. That’s the point. I’m a Mets fan. If Noah Syndergaard is on a pitch limit, they don’t care if it’s against the Yankees or Marlins. Same goes for every other sport you mentioned

Edited by pish6969