pish6969

Ryan seed protecting

And you still are a moron.

And your an ******* (see how silly that sounds?)but why even bring up name calling? If we were in person I can understand it since it could be settled, but name calling on the internet is weak. I didn’t call you any names. If you disagree that’s fine, doesn’t make me a moron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, it is simple fricking common sense.  You don't throw a guy immediately to the wolves coming off of an injury that cost him the 1st 1/2 of the season.  You EASE him back into competition.  It isn't about if you are healthy you should automatically wrestle your schedule.

He is being EASED back into his competition and if you don't understand that you are being INTENTIONALLY OBTUSE!

pish, I get where you're coming from, since I'm one of the "duals matter" crowd. But if you are willing to forgive Clark for bowing out of his match with Nato in the dual, I think you don't understand what is very likely Nato's situation. It's basically the same thing. The only difference is that Clark opted to do the surgery after NCAAs, while Nato had the luxury of doing it before (Clark did not have that option unless he wanted to forgo his senior year).

There is no knee injury severe enough to require surgery that recovers just two or three months (I don't know any that require less than 6 even). If Nato got cut up, it wasn't to remove a wart or scope out some calcium. It was to mend structural damage so that theknee doesn't fall apart during live wrestling.

When you're done with knee surgery, you have two options before full healing takes place:

OPTION 1: sit your ass down for 6+ months and do little leg extensions and band exercises

OPTION 2: risk re-injury, so wrestle VERY sparingly

I'm betting Nato isn't even practicing live because the knee may only have a few goes in it for the remainder of the season.

If you are Ryan, would you wrestle Suriano in a dual given the above?

I'm confident that I'm not exaggerating the extent of the injury. What could possibly require surgery mid-season that would leave any other option other than the two I listed? Nothing.

Hes “medically cleared,” (whatever that is). You going to send him out against stieber?

I don't know all the circumstances of this hypothetical scenario you are offering.  What I have said and will say again:  I agree with how Ryan is handling this issue.  It appears NATO is cleared to compete, but that doesn't mean he is at his competitive best.  He would most likely lose the match this weekend against Suriano, not because his knee is still injured, and not because Suriano would injure it, but because of the lost practice time, conditioning time, and competition time.  This is my response to those who insist the decision to hold him out is 100% knee-injury related. 

pish, I get where you're coming from, since I'm one of the "duals matter" crowd. But if you are willing to forgive Clark for bowing out of his match with Nato in the dual, I think you don't understand what is very likely Nato's situation. It's basically the same thing. The only difference is that Clark opted to do the surgery after NCAAs, while Nato had the luxury of doing it before (Clark did not have that option unless he wanted to forgo his senior year).

There is no knee injury severe enough to require surgery that recovers just two or three months (I don't know any that require less than 6 even). If Nato got cut up, it wasn't to remove a wart or scope out some calcium. It was to mend structural damage so that theknee doesn't fall apart during live wrestling.

When you're done with knee surgery, you have two options before full healing takes place:

OPTION 1: sit your ass down for 6+ months and do little leg extensions and band exercises

OPTION 2: risk re-injury, so wrestle VERY sparingly

I'm betting Nato isn't even practicing live because the knee may only have a few goes in it for the remainder of the season.

If you are Ryan, would you wrestle Suriano in a dual given the above?

I'm confident that I'm not exaggerating the extent of the injury. What could possibly require surgery mid-season that would leave any other option other than the two I listed? Nothing.

a meniscus tear

Fix Damage Index =2083

Suriano Damage Index = 2056

Cray Damage Index = 1200

Nato Damage Mitigation Index(healthy) = 2067

Nato Damage Mitigation Index(current) = 1943

if fix can damage a healthy Nato at 2067, imagine what Suriano would do to a (coming off injury) Nato. 

I’ve had turf toe. It ALWAYS hurts until it’s gone. My point was it hurt against Rutgers as much as it would have 2 days prior.

Ryan is a great recruiter, good coach, seems like a great person.

I just can’t stand his stances on duals and his picking and choosing of opponents.

Clark was different. He had a shoulder that was about to fall off and needed surgery to fix it. He was a senior so he needed to pick and choose opponents to try to reach his goals. NATO already had the surgery. So at this point it’s about recovery time not picking and choosing who you wrestle.

If I’m a tOSU fan, I don’t want to see NATO wrestle until he’s 100%. If he’s never 100% than send him into BiGs and let him do his thing and try to reach his goals.

I’ve spoken too much on this topic so I’m bowing out after this post. People will form their own opinions

he had his knee scoped that’s not exactly the surgery most doctors want you to get to repair the knee it’s just the quickest recovery. And again it’s still essentially the same thing you’re just coming back from an injury the sidelined you the entire first semester you can’t find me a coach that’s putting his guy against a hammer like that right away

That is not as bad as, say, Spencer's surgery, but then, he probably just started doing any kind of intense exercise with his injured leg. The point still holds.

There are specific benchmarks that must be accomplished in physical therapy before he would be cleared for practice, yet alone competition.  He would be doing multiple versions of box jumps and other plyometrics by the time he graduated from physical therapy. 

There are specific benchmarks that must be accomplished in physical therapy before he would be cleared for practice, yet alone competition.  He would be doing multiple versions of box jumps and other plyometrics by the time he graduated from physical therapy. 

Right, and my point is that he probably just started doing that type of work if he got cut up in November (or at any point in the season). He's not exactly NCAAs-ready.

Right, and my point is that he probably just started doing that type of work if he got cut up in November (or at any point in the season). He's not exactly NCAAs-ready.

..and my point is no, he has been doing that stuff for a while and has graduated from physical therapy and been cleared to practice and compete.

Coach Ryan may have told Toma that he was wrestling one match this weekend and gave him the choice as to which.

As it's his 1st time down to 125 for a college match this season, he may have wanted to get the weigh-in done and out of the way so that he could relax a little Sat & Sunday and get his cut going for the Lizak match next Friday.

He's wrestling Pletcher and Streebler in the room, he's going live with strong, tough wrestlers just about every day.

Ryan does have a reputation for not wrestling guys, but this time I believe it's not so much that.  I'd like to see Toma and Suriano go at it, but it looks to be a confluence of events that makes this seem more than it is.

So you admit he’s sitting due to competition not injury. That’s my whole point. You think that’s ok, I don’t.

You brought up the other sports analogy and they don’t work so now your on to something else.

Except I think the two are connected, whereas you view them in isolation.  Being prepared to wrestle one match doesn't mean you're ready or obligated to wrestle every match.  

I think it is better to lose, than to duck an opponent,  if Nato loses to Suriano at least he knows what the gap is he has to make up by March,  It makes it obvious he is ducking by wrestling an easier opponent 2 days BEFORE,  well the following week he has Lizak and the week after that is Spencer Lee, hopefully he does not duck them as well.

As for seedings hell with it, that will work itself out by itself,  Maybe Tournaments should go strictly to a blind draw,  that would get rid of the ducking/protecting your seed problem.

The blind draw would keep fan interest in all sessions, sometimes the 2 best would meet in the first round, and the finals would still be the top 2 that emerged from the field (33 at NCAA)

Edited by dougb

There is nothing wrong with trying to create the best possible situation for your wrestlers to win the ncaa title. I fully support coaches selectively choosing opponents even when the wrestler is 100% healthy and has been wrestling the entire season. If they believe that decision will give their wrestler the best chance to win a future ncaa match, then that's what they should do. You don't have to like it, but this does happen in professional sports. 

Coach Ryan may have told Toma that he was wrestling one match this weekend and gave him the choice as to which.

As a competitor he should have chose Suriano.

Easy to state when you're not the one cutting the weight.

Like I use to tell the rifleman that wanted to be in Weapons Company.  Everyone thinks it's easy until they're the ones carrying .50 cal receivers and 81 base plates on 20 mile humps.

Easy to state when you're not the one cutting the weight.

Like I use to tell the rifleman that wanted to be in Weapons Company.  Everyone thinks it's easy until they're the ones carrying .50 cal receivers and 81 base plates on 20 mile humps.

The weight  to 125 would be exactly the same to wrestle Suriano as it will be for Maryland.

The weight  to 125 would be exactly the same to wrestle Suriano as it will be for Maryland.

but you do realize if 125 is first to wrestle, 1 hour after weigh-in in a 7 minute match against the #2 in the country might be just a little tougher first time wrestling at said weight in two years versus if its a 3-4 (or even 7) minute match against a #40ish?

I don't know all the circumstances of this hypothetical scenario you are offering. What I have said and will say again: I agree with how Ryan is handling this issue. It appears NATO is cleared to compete, but that doesn't mean he is at his competitive best. He would most likely lose the match this weekend against Suriano, not because his knee is still injured, and not because Suriano would injure it, but because of the lost practice time, conditioning time, and competition time. This is my response to those who insist the decision to hold him out is 100% knee-injury related.

This is fair. To the last sentence though I’ll add that it’s certainly not 0% injury related.

And your an ******* (see how silly that sounds?)but why even bring up name calling? If we were in person I can understand it since it could be settled, but name calling on the internet is weak. I didn’t call you any names. If you disagree that’s fine, doesn’t make me a moron

I agree. I apologize for the name calling.