pish6969

Ryan seed protecting

Absolute joke. Ryan announced NATO wrestling Friday vs Maryland but will sit out vs Suriano Sunday.

He couldn’t sit out bs Maryland and wrestle a Suriano?

Weak sauce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the point? Somehow NATO is ranked #1 even though he hasn't wrestled a match all year. NATO shouldn't be ranked at all until he at least wrestles some matches.

Eliminate seeding and we won't have to worry about his sort of nonsense. No more easy paths for the high seeds while making the other guys work harder. It appeals to me and explains why I like the Geary Tournament so much in HS wrestling.

Edited by TobusRex

but you do realize if 125 is first to wrestle, 1 hour after weigh-in in a 7 minute match against the #2 in the country might be just a little tougher first time wrestling at said weight in two years versus if its a 3-4 (or even 7) minute match against a #40ish?

So he can lose. It isn't the end of the world.  

There is nothing wrong with trying to create the best possible situation for your wrestlers to win the ncaa title. I fully support coaches selectively choosing opponents even when the wrestler is 100% healthy and has been wrestling the entire season. If they believe that decision will give their wrestler the best chance to win a future ncaa match, then that's what they should do. You don't have to like it, but this does happen in professional sports. 

Please then just recede from the duals matter crowd. Either show up and make them matter, or don't show up and make them not matter. 

Might keep him ranked #1 (in say wrestlestat) but that's not going to work for seeding. His win percentage is currently 0.0, skipping Rutgers and he only has ~8 possible matches before B10. B10 might seed him top 4 (don't think he will get #1 over an undefeated Suriano) but he won't get much love from the NCAA seeding.

If he wins BIG10s and is undefeated he will be the top seed

If he wins BIG10s and is undefeated he will be the top seed

So you are suggesting the seeding committee will throw their criteria out the window & seed him #1 just because a few internet posters say that's what they should do? ;_;

Eliminate seeding and we won't have to worry about his sort of nonsense. No more easy paths for the high seeds while making the other guys work harder. It appeals to me and explains why I like the Geary Tournament so much in HS wrestling.

Tobus, do the folks at the Geary make effort to separate the two guys they feel are the best or could those guys meet in the first round by luck of the draw?

Tobus, do the folks at the Geary make effort to separate the two guys they feel are the best or could those guys meet in the first round by luck of the draw?

I don't think they do, Tofurky. At Geary you'll see crazy stuff like 2 state champs from different classes in the first round (it's happened before). 

Count me in the camp that sees NO issue with this. And, not that there ar many posters here that I have much respect for, I loose a little respect for each jerk poster that feels they know what is best, just a bunch of fools

I 100% agree with this statement

Edited by dtl38

Not sure where my original post went, but Tom Ryan discusses the decision to hold NATO from wrestling Suriano in podcast #20 from Steelwood Radio.  About 4-5 minutes in:

https://soundcloud.com/steelwood-radio

Transcribed below, for those that can't listen.  Not much here that most hadn't already surmised. 

"He'll wrestle against Maryland.  He is by no means where we want him... where he wants to be.  But he is far enough along that we gotta start inserting him somewhere.  We would ideally, the most ideal situation would be a tournament this weekend, but there's really nothing to go to that we want him at.  So he'll wrestle Maryland, and he will wrestle likely against Minnesota, based on just how he feels in that dual. 

So, I'm imagining that we're gonna get some questions on: why not Rutgers? why not Suriano? And the reality is just that it makes no sense.  We are all about competition, you know, Nate is a guy that will travel to every far reaching corner of the earth to find good competition.  He'll fly 20 hours in an airplane to wrestle Russians, and he certainly wants to wrestle.  But the reality is that the number one thing right now for Ohio State wrestling is health and preparation.  So Nate will wrestle Maryland, and we're looking forward to seeing him in there on the 5th.

I coach the people, student athletes that are in the room.  We always try to make decisions on what's best for them and the team, and never about the press.  And unfortunately sometimes the fans are going to sacrifice seeing a great match."

Nate is a guy that will travel to every far reaching corner of the earth to find good competition.  He'll fly 20 hours in an airplane to wrestle Russians, 

explains why he didn't go to Iowa,  those guys will travel to a different galaxy to find better competition ... ohh ... but they won't wrestle the back side of local (this planet) tournaments

also appears he is leaving an easy out on wrestling Minny & Lizak 

again, I don't see a problem with this, he isn't protecting seed (maybe B10) cause he won't have enough matches to matter for NCAA 

maybe they should've sent him to Scuffle, expect for Cruz really no big hammer there

Transcribed below, for those that can't listen. Not much here that most hadn't already surmised.

"He'll wrestle against Maryland. He is by no means where we want him... where he wants to be. But he is far enough along that we gotta start inserting him somewhere. We would ideally, the most ideal situation would be a tournament this weekend, but there's really nothing to go to that we want him at. So he'll wrestle Maryland, and he will wrestle likely against Minnesota, based on just how he feels in that dual.

So, I'm imagining that we're gonna get some questions on: why not Rutgers? why not Suriano? And the reality is just that it makes no sense. We are all about competition, you know, Nate is a guy that will travel to every far reaching corner of the earth to find good competition. He'll fly 20 hours in an airplane to wrestle Russians, and he certainly wants to wrestle. But the reality is that the number one thing right now for Ohio State wrestling is health and preparation. So Nate will wrestle Maryland, and we're looking forward to seeing him in there on the 5th.

I coach the people, student athletes that are in the room. We always try to make decisions on what's best for them and the team, and never about the press. And unfortunately sometimes the fans are going to sacrifice seeing a great match."

Tom says some crazy ****, but this isnt one of those times.

The fact that he could wrestle a tournament this weekend should end the debate about the knee being healthy enough to compete.  Call it protecting his seed, or protecting him from a loss, same idea. 

Plus, Ryan basically admits that this is about Suriano being a tougher opponent. So what does that say when you are willing to put your guy out there if the opponent is weaker, but not if the opponent is tougher? It says you, as a coach, are ducking the tougher guy. For whatever your reasons may be, you ARE ducking the tougher guy. 

Plus, Ryan basically admits that this is about Suriano being a tougher opponent. So what does that say when you are willing to put your guy out there if the opponent is weaker, but not if the opponent is tougher? It says you, as a coach, are ducking the tougher guy. For whatever your reasons may be, you ARE ducking the tougher guy.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1693525387371555&id=121346977922745

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nato is attending a friend's wedding on Saturday night. Good for him.

Edited by cjc007

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1693525387371555&id=121346977922745

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nato is attending a friend's wedding on Saturday night. Good for him.

I played DIII football years ago, and our Quarterback's sister was getting married on a game day.  Our coach wouldn't let him go.  He went anyway and got benched.

If Nato and Ryan decided not to wrestle Nato this year would he qualify for a medical redshirt?

No he wouldn't.  He already red shirted as a true freshman and he wasn't injured then (wrestled a lot that season).  You need to have 2 years lost to injury to get a 6th year.