Frank_Rizzo

149 and 157

Injury, illness and even their own Larry Owings may well be waiting in the wings. Get a cold at the wrong time. Slip on some ice while opening the door to the car, an opponent rolls over an ankle  - whatever. It can and does happen.

As the man said, "it ain't over til it's over".

Nolf and Retherford are the two of most dominant wrestlers in collegiate history.  The best ever at their respective weights, IMO.  They're right there with Dake, Askren, and Sanderson.  And yes, all things being equal, I'd take Retherford over Gable as seniors in college. 

I'm getting sick of hearing the word dominant in the context of wrestling because it's overused, but I can't think of any other word to describe these two. There is absolutely no doubt of the result before they step on the mat. 

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

Nolf and Retherford are the two of most dominant wrestlers in collegiate history.  The best ever at their respective weights, IMO.  They're right there with Dake, Askren, and Sanderson.  And yes, all things being equal, I'd take Retherford over Gable as seniors in college. 

I'm getting sick of hearing the word dominant in the context of wrestling because it's overused, but I can't think of any other word to describe these two. There is absolutely no doubt of the result before they step on the mat. 

This is so obviously true that it really can't be reasonably argued against. Great post. 

Well except for that Steiber guy that dominated Zain.

I highly doubt either lose, though I do think Kemerer is going to close the gap a little this year. 

overall though....never say never. 'bout this time last year it was all about Gabe the Destroyer of Worlds and how no one had a shot.  

Well except for that Steiber guy that dominated Zain.

Zain is one of the three or so losses Stieber had in college, and he did it as a true freshman. I'm not trying to support the "most dominant wrestler" claim, just responding to your comment.

Does Lee Kemp count?  I'd put him over Nolf for now.  

I highly doubt either lose, though I do think Kemerer is going to close the gap a little this year. 

overall though....never say never. 'bout this time last year it was all about Gabe the Destroyer of Worlds and how no one had a shot.  

I think a fair amount of people were giving Bo a decent shot until he lost to Martin at Big10s

I think Sorenson has a better chance at upsetting if he actually uses his new offensive weapons and doesn't try to slow things up too much. Which he will probably do.

Feb 10 is going to be great.

Not sure how this would go. Although we are mostly talking here in a fantasy scenario.

That said I am thinking about (sr season) Larkin vs The Train. Erik was so dominant throughout his sr season.

He won everything that was available to win.....just saying. 

Nevertheless, Larkin accomplished that 4-3-2-1 thang. Always have thought of that as - very cool

I think this depends on exactly how far Nolf is perceived to have improved/level jumped, in terms of his dominance.  

Frankly, he's taking his mastery of the sport to that of an art form.  Like a wrestling version of Picasso, or Dali.

Zain is showing elements of that as well, with his top game. 

Snyder shows it from neutral.

Nolf shows it from all elements and positions.