CoachWrestling

Iowa Pulls Lee's Redshirt

National champ

Not convinced that is the case. That big brace seems to limit his attacks from neutral. He is a monster on top, but I think Suriano, Cruz and Tomasello present a big challenge in neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree he will be seriously challenged but I see him pulling it off. The Bresser loss didn’t really take away my enthusiasm for his abilities. More a credit to Bresser than anything but I’m pretty confident a rematch would go differently.

I would pick Nato if not for his injury.

Maybe.  Still has to deal with Nate, Suriano and Cruz.  That's a nice quartet with Lizak and Pic lurking.

so you counting on someone else knocking off Bresser?  Wouldn't necessarily depend on Suriano for that, don't think Bresser will make that backing up out of bounds mistake again.

Wow the shirt is pulled!   I had someone tell me this was going to happen but it just seemed to go against all logic.  Perhaps the Brands really are feeling the hot seat to get the team back to relevance and to erase that ugly look of Lee with his 6th place medal.     We speculated on the other thread if they can't get a 3 time world champ into the Midlands finals, how effective can they be going forward?   It sounds like they're placing it all on Lee and they'll ride with his results.    This is a bit of a shocker but I suppose it makes sense.   

Maybe this means we will not see PD3 in an Iowa singlet and keeps them in the top 5.

It could also hurt tOSU's chances if he can knock of NATO.

I actually go the other way - I think this means Brands is confident about PD3 and is pulling Lee's shirt to push them in to the top 3 and an outside shot at a title. That's 2 guys who are likely to be high AAs and score some bonus points on the way there.

Edited by ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

There goes his chance at 4x'er status... Lee as a true frosh 125, is a top 4-5 guy, no doubt, and probably within 1-3 pts of anyone in that upper crust.  The problem is that there are others in that upper crust.  

I like his chances much better if he kept his RS... (similar to my Yianni post a few weeks back, that I took hell for, and then he loses to Eireman, so I rest my case).  

Edit:  Before any of y'all give me more 'ell... I said "chances"... it's not that I don't think he (or Yianni for that matter) can't win as a trush frosh, it's just the chances grow greater given the RS.  

Edited by treep2000

Not sure if Brands has rocks in his head or not with this decision.

I do believe that seeing the knee brace every smart wrestler will attack the other leg hard and force him to rely on the re-built knee every period of every match. Force it and make him worry about it holding up.

He is not there mentally yet and most likely won't place higher than Fourth - plenty of good for the Squawkeyes these days.

There goes his chance at 4x'er status... Lee as a true frosh 125, is a top 4-5 guy, no doubt, and probably within 1-3 pts of anyone in that upper crust.  The problem is that there are others in that upper crust.  

I like his chances much better if he kept his RS... (similar to my Yianni post a few weeks back, that I took hell for, and then he loses to Eireman, so I rest my case).  

Edit:  Before any of y'all give me more 'ell... I said "chances"... it's not that I don't think he (or Yianni for that matter) can't win as a trush frosh, it's just the chances grow greater given the RS.  

I completely agree but I also hate seeing the 4 timers be 4 timers because they avoided someone.    If Lee becomes one he's legit, not because he waited an extra year for the weight class to lean down.    From my perspective this is much better.    

Honestly, does being a 4 timer mean THAT much anymore? When Smith did it, it was unreal. When Cael did it, undefeated, it was one of the best achievements ever in all NCAA sports. When Dake did it in four weight classes, it added a different twist to it, and the drama of his final year taking on the Hodge winner was special. When Stieber did it, he too breathed rarified air. But it’s now been done a few times, and I don’t know if getting 4 is as meaningful a goal as it once was. Is that really the motivation for a redshirt? Lee has stated many times, since before high school, that he has one and only one goal: Olympic/world gold. He strikes me as the type of kid who would rather get out there (if heathy, which you now have to asssume he is), face the toughest competition available in college, and move on to bigger and better things.

Edited by wrestlingnerd