Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Drexel

I posted this last year when he landed Desanto: he has been impressive at every coaching job he has taken and has learned from some of the best in the game (Douglas, Koll, et al). One of the more underrated coaches out there. I’m excited to see what he can do with a Desanto sliver athlete and hope that translates into more high-level commitments soon.

From an educational standpoint, their co-op program lands their alumni some amazing jobs. Real unique academic situation, one of the real educational gems with a wrestling program. Typically overshadowed academically by its neighbor, Penn

It seems that Drexel and Teller have a lot in common.

I posted this last year when he landed Desanto: he has been impressive at every coaching job he has taken and has learned from some of the best in the game (Douglas, Koll, et al). One of the more underrated coaches out there. I’m excited to see what he can do with a Desanto sliver athlete and hope that translates into more high-level commitments soon.

They also teamed up with Penn to form an RTC. Slay has been pumping up the Drexel guys on Twitter since then which should help with recruiting.

Just wanted to put them atop a thread.  Matt Azevedo is doing a great job.

Drexel tied Lehigh

Lehigh could've/should've beat Penn St

Illinois should've beat Iowa

Wyoming could've/should've beat OSU

and OSU is The wrestling OSU vs that tOSU

therefore

Drexel should be #1  (at least in dual rankings)  

well ... except for that Navy thing  ;)

Drexel tied Lehigh

Lehigh could've/should've beat Penn St

Illinois should've beat Iowa

Wyoming could've/should've beat OSU

and OSU is The wrestling OSU vs that tOSU

therefore

Drexel should be #1  (at least in dual rankings)  

well ... except for that Navy thing  ;)

That is another program, when did Navy improve so much?  4th place finish. 

FWIW - from seeding, they were projected to finish 13th at the Scuffle, with 19 team points; instead they finished 6th, with 77.5 points, 7 wrestlers in placement. Not too shabby!

But to mention, DeSanto was beating a guy (close match) in the semis before Defaulting out to 6th.

Even if Mualler won that match, DeSanto would’ve certainly gotten another win or two, which is a lot of points as they are all placement matches.

From an educational standpoint, their co-op program lands their alumni some amazing jobs. Real unique academic situation, one of the real educational gems with a wrestling program. Typically overshadowed academically by its neighbor, Penn. 

Had to jump in on this one.  My first job out of college I worked for a Navy research facility just north of Philadelphia, before moving there I didn't know much about Drexel.  They sent tons of engineering students on co-ops to the place, very impressed with the people they sent and the quality of the education there.  They also had a 'fashion design' department or study, I know nothing of that business, but they did.  Same requirements, 6 months in the classroom, 6 months in NYC or somewhere working in the industry.  I wish we had a lot more educational programs like this, and not euphemistic 'internships' where people are just aiming for a good reference letter or such - we had realistic but real work expectations for the engineering co-ops.  One thing puzzles me on this thread, though, the co-ops are nowhere near campus for six months.  I thought most of the school's academic tracks required co-op experience, but seems incompatible with a sports program.  Rizzo, any other Phila natives have info on that, can athletes still work this out somehow?  Anyway, glad to see Drexel doing well - to stay healthy, wrestling needs more than the big boys to thrive.

For one thing, it would depend on where they co-op. If it's close they can work something out. I would imagine some co-op during red-shirt years and/or in the summer.

I worked in the industry in the 80s in Lansdale, Pa (about an hour north of Drexel). We were a small company with several Lehigh types but also Drexelites. They were definitely good.

I think we only beat them on tie breaker!  smile.png

Hmm, pretty sure one young lady I dated came from Lansdale - short but sweet time :-)  I was there same timeframe as you, worked at a place in Warminster, Pa (or Johnsville to the old-timers).  The place (NADC) was about the same distance from Drexel and Lehigh, but I don't remember too many Lehigh alum at the place - maybe just didn't know them, the place had 2000+ employees.  They had some apartments nearby for the students.  It would have been very tough to get back and forth for team practices, if anybody did it, that would be one disciplined hombre.  Some people are wired different, though; in the same time period, Jimmy Martin carried a 3.9 or so premed GPA while wrestling for Penn State - still managed to win a few matches.

Had to jump in on this one.  My first job out of college I worked for a Navy research facility just north of Philadelphia, before moving there I didn't know much about Drexel.  They sent tons of engineering students on co-ops to the place, very impressed with the people they sent and the quality of the education there.  They also had a 'fashion design' department or study, I know nothing of that business, but they did.  Same requirements, 6 months in the classroom, 6 months in NYC or somewhere working in the industry.  I wish we had a lot more educational programs like this, and not euphemistic 'internships' where people are just aiming for a good reference letter or such - we had realistic but real work expectations for the engineering co-ops.  One thing puzzles me on this thread, though, the co-ops are nowhere near campus for six months.  I thought most of the school's academic tracks required co-op experience, but seems incompatible with a sports program.  Rizzo, any other Phila natives have info on that, can athletes still work this out somehow?  Anyway, glad to see Drexel doing well - to stay healthy, wrestling needs more than the big boys to thrive.

The wrestlers are on a Spring/Summer Co/Op so their Co Op starts after NCAAs and ends before September so they are in class like normal students during the season.

Most majors have a lot of co/op opportunities in and around the city but there are students who take opportunities outside of the areas.

Hmm, pretty sure one young lady I dated came from Lansdale - short but sweet time :-)  I was there same timeframe as you, worked at a place in Warminster, Pa (or Johnsville to the old-timers).  The place (NADC) was about the same distance from Drexel and Lehigh, but I don't remember too many Lehigh alum at the place - maybe just didn't know them, the place had 2000+ employees.  They had some apartments nearby for the students.  It would have been very tough to get back and forth for team practices, if anybody did it, that would be one disciplined hombre.  Some people are wired different, though; in the same time period, Jimmy Martin carried a 3.9 or so premed GPA while wrestling for Penn State - still managed to win a few matches.

The President of the company was from Lehigh. He and I lived in the same dorm and he was a year ahead of me. This was half a dozen years after graduation but another Lehigh guy and myself had met at the computer center at Lehigh and he told me about the company. I guess we kind of hired each other to the company.

Thanks for the update/reminders, I'd forgotten they use the trimester system, makes things different.  I believe we had co-ops at our place year-round, but I don't think any of them were into sports or much other activities at school, so not an issue to them.  Nice to know there are opportunities near campus for those who can handle the demands of both.  I'm not a fan of much of how academia operates, but I'm a fan of Drexel and programs like this.  Barring the rare Snyder, Sanderson, Smith, et al, no one earns a living from wrestling - good programs also make sure their guys keep the big picture in mind.