• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:15 AM

Well, I’m officially a freestyle fan. Really want to go to the World Cup and am interested in seeing the fabled Iowa domain.

That said, I’m coming from east coast and am trying to minimize time off from work, and dealing with school schedule for son. So want to not have to take Monday off. All while trying to keep cost in check.

Some questions - what is the best way to get to Iowa city? I’m strongly considering a cheap flight to Chicago and then renting a car. Looks like 3.5 hour drive. Smarter move?

What is the schedule? If I go via Chicago, will need to leave Iowa City by about 4pm on Sunday (more like 3:30pm). Will it be done by then? Web site is silent still. Anyone have decent history on this?

Thanks for any wisdom. Really want to make this happen.
  • 2td3nf likes this

#2 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:10 AM

I live in Chicago and made the drive to Iowa City many times (NCAA in whatever year that was, Kinnick dual, OTTx2) and it's pretty harmless.  Very doable...

Don't see an official site for the World Cup yet, just random articles about them hosting it.  So can't give any schedule details yet.  I would honestly guess no to everything being done by noon on Sunday when you have to drive back.  But again, total guess...

#3 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:37 AM

Thanks Gantry. I’d have to leave by 3:30pm or so. Better. But is the last dual scheduled for 3pm or later?

Also, here is the site

Www.worldcupiowacity.com

#4 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:05 AM

Not sure where you are out east, but Des Moines is <2 hours from Iowa City and they have flights to/from Newark, NYC, Philly, and DC

#5 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:00 AM

Rpm - coming from Boston. Looks like no directs and the extra $200 per ticket won’t be worth the driving time saving. But thanks for raising the option. I’m looking for ideas.

Boston to Chicago is pretty cheap, direct, and has good times. Might be hard to beat.

#6 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

If you're flying into Chi, you may want to also check flight options going into MDW airport - it's less busy, less of a hassle than ORD which means you won't have to get there so early or worry about cancellations and such. Either way, the drive to IC should be really nice around that time of year. I'm envious.

#7 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

If you're flying into Chi, you may want to also check flight options going into MDW airport - it's less busy, less of a hassle than ORD which means you won't have to get there so early or worry about cancellations and such. Either way, the drive to IC should be really nice around that time of year. I'm envious.

This is 100% right.  Midway = Southwest Airline and almost nothing else.

#8 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:03 AM

You might also try the Milwaukee airport.  It is only about 40 miles further to Iowa City than Chicago, and doesn't have the Chicago traffic.

Edited by jchapman, 08 January 2018 - 05:03 AM.

Record Holder:  Most Escapes in a Season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users