Sign in to follow this  
wpialchamp

Is Maryland fully funded with 9.9?

I believe MD was fully funded at 9.9 during the late Santoro/early McCoy coaching era, when they were still in the ACC, but the scholarships were reliant on private donations. It’s possible the university stepped up and provided the program with a full allotment when they entered the BIG but I seriously doubt it.

Edited by gromit

Remember being at the most recent occurrence of that against a Division I institution...incidentally, it was a non-Division I school (Upper Iowa) that beat the Division I school (Wagner) 60-0...of course, Wagner dropped their program after that season.

How many forfeits?  I'd be curious to know when it occurred with 10 bouts contested.

Suriano wants so change that.

I don’t see Nicky spending a lot of time on the international level. He has mentioned in some fairly recent video that he more of a fighter and seemed to suggest that MMA is a bigger interest to him after college. If I remember correctly, he boxes a bit, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see Nicky spending a lot of time on the international level. He has mentioned in some fairly recent video that he more of a fighter and seemed to suggest that MMA is a bigger interest to him after college. If I remember correctly, he boxes a bit, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even so, I think NCAA success has a bigger impact on recruiting than Olympic/World level success. Im sure there are far more kids coming out of high school that have their sights set on winning an NCAA title than an Olympic/World title as it's fair more attainable. NCAA success is more relatable than world level success as well. Cael isn't know as the greatest Olympic/World level American wrestler ever, he's known as the greatest NCAA wrestler ever. His Olympic gold is more icing on the cake.

Further evidence of this is that we didnt see the floodgates open for recruits at Nebraska inspite of them producing arguably the greatest American Freestyler in Jordan Burroughs. If Nick Suriano goes undefeated this season and the next 2 winning NCAAs the next 3 years, more NJ natives will become interested in wrestling for Rutgers as they will see it's possible to win national titles there. If he goes into MMA and becomes a world champion there I'm sure we also will see him having a positive impact on Rutgers wrestling recruiting.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Perhaps financially. Morally and ethically, definitely not if you support our Liar in Chief, Child in Chief, Molester in Chief.

Mods - - feel free to delete this post? I just couldn't let it go by.

You talkin about Hussain, or Bill or both? Mods--I just couldn't let this go by. Delete if you must!

Even so, I think NCAA success has a bigger impact on recruiting than Olympic/World level success. Im sure there are far more kids coming out of high school that have their sights set on winning an NCAA title than an Olympic/World title as it's fair more attainable. NCAA success is more relatable than world level success as well. Cael isn't know as the greatest Olympic/World level American wrestler ever, he's known as the greatest NCAA wrestler ever. His Olympic gold is more icing on the cake.

Further evidence of this is that we didnt see the floodgates open for recruits at Nebraska inspite of them producing arguably the greatest American Freestyler in Jordan Burroughs. If Nick Suriano goes undefeated this season and the next 2 winning NCAAs the next 3 years, more NJ natives will become interested in wrestling for Rutgers as they will see it's possible to win national titles there. If he goes into MMA and becomes a world champion there I'm sure we also will see him having a positive impact on Rutgers wrestling recruiting.

Maybe, but the top end kids are trending towards wanting that potential run at World and Olympic titles. A good way to gauge that is to read the "Seven Minutes" questionnaires on Track Wrestling: http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?TIM=1515429034051&twSessionId=njzucejdkgiusgk&postId=67081132. That is an example of one of the 49 that have been done.

As to Cael, I don't know what other people think, but I always think of him in this order: 1. Olympics/World, 2. undefeated college career, 3. coach.

I can only guess why Nebraska wasn't a destination for a lot more studs, but my thought is that it had something to so with having an Olympic gold medalist and world silver medalist as a coach; having the only undefeated four-time national champ as a coach; having new, massive facilities in which to train; being right in the middle of the top wrestling state in the country; having David Taylor follow Sanderson to Happy Valley certainly helped, among other things. Again, I can only surmise as to what recruits considered when considering where to go.

You might be right on Rutgers and Suriano's impact upon the program. Time will tell.