Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Biggest Surprise In Big Ten

We just got started, but to me this NCAA wrestling season has been fantastic. All the different story lines, really great action, cool scoring moves and lots and lots pins. Even Iowa joined the pin party last night. Love it. 

Sorry, but going there again. What a product this would be if they kept the NCAA athletes on the mat for the full 7 minutes. Make it a true 3min, 2min, 2min periods. Still, too many NCAA matches are like a 5min, 3min, 3min periods due to the "make-believe" action calls when the wrestlers walk off the mat for their free timeout.

Iowa.  They just weren't supposed to be this competitive.  Won Midlands handily.  Have ripped apart dual opponents.  Now they have Lee and possibly PD3 in lineup.  

Is it possible the Brands bros are doing a good job?

How many top 5 teams (or even top 10 & complete starting roster) were at Midlands & just exactly who have they ripped up in duals? Lee will make a difference but let's not get ahead of ourself.

How have the Iowa wrestlers done vs ranked opponents? Have they over performed or underperformed against their rank and seed? Have they seen as many ranked opponents compared to the other top programs?

Midlands was not as strong as previous years so has the Iowa team in general faced as many ranked opponents as PSU, OKState and NCState?

Compared to Gable? NO.  Compared to Zalesky? The same.

Zalesky: 111248274  mean 3.33

Brands:   81113344254  with an expected 7-10th this year.  mean 3.27

Brands had a brief burst when he took over. So did Zalesky, but that might have been residual Gable. Brands' decline is directly aligned with Sanderson's success. OK State saw a decline when Gable derailed them in the 80s - 90s, as well. Zalesky's "decline" was aligned with Minnesota's success and OK State's resurgence after hiring John Smith. There is a derivation in the variables of that timeline, where Minnesota had a few great years halfway through Jay Robinson's 30 year career. Besides that, I wonder if the other great success stories have a new style that emerges and eventually gets adjusted to(?). 

So, I wouldn't diagnose a lack of success at Iowa as much as a surge from other successful programs.

What I think is most interesting in comparing all these successful programs is what I perceive to be the program philosophy.

Iowa dominated under Gable with a grind and sacrifice philosophy, which I think was the dominant national philosophy during that time before falling out of favor in the late 90's - I could speculate a parallel between this shift in thinking and the death of those three guys in 1997 - not that those deaths had anything to do with Iowa, but the national philosophy came under serious reconsideration. Now Iowa still embraces the grind, but there's something more interesting than sacrifice at play: it goes something like, "We're so freaking serious about this that it's funny. Watch how serious we are, now watch us make fun of how serious we are." I'm enjoying this as a fan, and I think the athletes are enjoying it too. 

Sanderson's philosophy of "play" or "having fun" has seen huge success. I enjoy that as a fan as well.

Ohio State's presumable "Faith in God, and focus on body" is also seeing success. That philosophy puts me on edge a little, but I'm still impressed at how well it's working. 

I haven't paid as much attention to OK State to make suppositions about their philosophy, but I'm sure there's something great in what the Smith family brings to that program. 

Compared to Gable? NO.  Compared to Zalesky? The same.

Zalesky: 111248274  mean 3.33

Brands:   81113344254  with an expected 7-10th this year.  mean 3.27

Brands doesn't lose duals to Iowa State though, so that goes a long way from keeping his coaching seat from getting too hot.

Midlands wasn't that tough this season, so an Iowa win is not that surprising there. They haven't dualed any top team and I don't put much stock in beating down Maryland or MSU. With pd3 and lee they could break into the top 4 if things go perfectly for them, though.

I think northwestern's studs have impressed me the most, especially rivera.

Midlands wasn't that tough this season, so an Iowa win is not that surprising there. They haven't dualed any top team and I don't put much stock in beating down Maryland or MSU. With pd3 and lee they could break into the top 4 if things go perfectly for them, though.

I think northwestern's studs have impressed me the most, especially rivera.

It just pains you to see Iowa surpassing pre-season expectations doesn't it? Why do you hate Iowa so much? Just curious

It just pains you to see Iowa surpassing pre-season expectations doesn't it? Why do you hate Iowa so much? Just curious

125 - right about what is expected for Lee

133 - below expectations

141 - supposedly going to have an AA here. No chance of that. Below expectations

149 - at expectations so far. Hard to exceed when expectations are 3rd at worst.

157 - same as 149

165 - above expectations. Impressive stuff in an excellent weight class

174 - below expectations. Expected to be a fringe AA, borderline qualifier

184 - hasn’t wrestled yet

197 - at expectations but that’s after far exceeding them last year

285 - exceeding expectations. Was a borderline AA pre season, will likely be ranked 5th or so next week

Do you disagree with this? Overall they are about right at pre season expectations. The difference ranking wise is due largely to removing Lee’s redshirt and PD3 possibly starting.

How have they exceeded preseason expectations? As Perry alluded to, there wasn't another top 10 team at Midlands and they haven't wrestled a dual against a top 10 team yet. Stating facts isn't trolling or hating, it's called rational discussion.

Well they haven't failed and you have been waiting for it. It's a down year for the University of Iowa wrestling team and so far yes indeed they have exceeded preseason and offseason expectations.

But Iowa isn't surpassing expectations. Everyone knew that if Lee and PD3 wrestled that Iowa would be 3rd to 5th. Is this now deemed "exceeding expectations" at Iowa?

I literally just said they have the potential to finish a top 4 team this year and you accuse me of being a hater.. you Iowa fans are the most delicate group of people on here, I swear.. What about my post specifically has you so on edge?

I literally just said they have the potential to finish a top 4 team this year and you accuse me of being a hater.. you Iowa fans are the most delicate group of people on here, I swear.. What about my post specifically has you so on edge?

You literally say a lot of negative things about Iowa and its wrestlers. Something positive gets posted and you're quick to take a nut shot. Go back and look at your own posting history. And when you say "you Iowa fans" are you stereotyping all the fans or just a select few that fire back at your bull****?