2td3nf

The 2018 Yarygin (Jan 26-28)

A few questions on the upcoming Yarygin tournament:

1. Who is on Team USA's roster? Pretty sure I heard Kyle Snyder is going again. Who else?

2. Will we see the new 10 weight classes here?

3. What will Russia do with the brackets this year?

a) Last year they put all the Russian athletes on the opposite side of Snyder's bracket. Wonder why? Kyle still ended up pinning his Russian opponent in the finals. 

b) Will Russia (and all countries) honor an international courtesy where they separate teammates from the same country into different brackets? (C'mon, guarantee the athletes an international tournament. Don't have Stieber and Futrell travel halfway around the world and then wrestle each other in the first round. Defeats the whole purpose of traveling and competing in an international tourney.)

At the same time I'd have no problem if Team Russia wants to separate whatever Russian wrestlers from each other in the brackets being that they'll have a ton of Russian entries here.

After the Ohio State Rutgers dual this morning on the Big Ten Network, Kyle was interviewed and he confirmed that he is in fact going to the Yarygin.

Kyle is simply a new level I have never seen. The guy is GOAT unless major injury. With Sad back down is there anyone in the world anywhere that can keep the match under a tech fall at 213? Yarigin is going to be cake walk for him unless a roided up Bolt shows. I really think the guy could beat Akgul or Geno?

Edited by PRyan2012

Snyder is amazing, but Akgul and Petriashvili are huge.  He'd be giving up ~40 pounds or so to each... not to mention 5 or 6 inches in height. 

I know but he is 15 points better than the #2 guy in the USA Gadsen and at least 10 everywhere else. Serious question is there anyone out there that could survive not being teched by Snyder at 213? Sad but he is going back down. That is why I thought about a match up with Geno or Akgul or Mahkov. Could he pull that off? He wrestles the big guys already in college.

Edited by PRyan2012

I know but he is 15 points better than the #2 guy in the USA Gadsen and at least 10 everywhere else. Serious question is there anyone out there that could survive not being teched by Snyder at 213? Sad but he is going back down. That is why I thought about a match up with Geno or Akgul or Mahkov. Could he pull that off? He wrestles the big guys already in college.

Didn't the Yarygin used to have a Grand Champion where the 97kg champ wrestled the HWT champ?

I haven't heard that Sad is going back down in weight.   Where is this news listed?

mspart

I think Russia knows that under most circumstances Sad will lose. But I have not heard if the new weights will be implemented at Yarigan or not?  

PRyan2012, on 08 Jan 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

I think Russia knows that under most circumstances Sad will lose. But I have not heard if the new weights will be implemented at Yarigan or not?  

Paul, here's one year (2010) they had the Ivan Yarygin Absolute Cup where the 96kg champ Belonovskaya (RUS) beat 125kg champ Shemarov (BEL).

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/results

Edit: have to punch in data, year, style, etc. Results listed in post below.

Edited by 2td3nf

PRyan2012, on 08 Jan 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:PRyan2012, on 08 Jan 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:PRyan2012, on 08 Jan 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

I don't remember them having this? Would be pretty cool to see him vs Mahkov.

OK, this one.

96 kg/211.5 lbs.

Gold - Yuri Belonovskaya (Russia)

Silver - Shamil Akhmedov (Russia)

Bronze - George Ketoev (Russia)

Bronze - Aslanbek Aliyev (Russia)

120 kg/264.5 lbs.

Gold - Aleksey Shemarov (Belarus)

Silver - Fatih Cakaroglu (Turkey)

Bronze - Alan Dzampaev (Russia)

Bronze -Cyril Gotovtsev (Russia)

Ivan Yarygin Absolute Cup (96 kg/120 kg finalists)

Champions bout - Yuri Belonovskaya (Russia) dec. Aleksey Shemarov (Belarus)

Runner-up bout - Fatih Cakaroglu (Turkey) dec. George Ketoev (Russia)

Edited by 2td3nf

Kyle said he would leave after the Iowa dual and head off to Russia, I am sure he knows what he's doing, but I am a little worried that he won't have much time to get acclimated.

Considering Snyder has managed to lose quite a bit outside of the world / Olympic Games I’d be prettt stoked if he won Yarygin convincingly. I’ve always felt his losing in the WC or other tournaments was a function of it being during the school year and folk season and a bit about peaking and wasn’t too worried. However should he trample the field it would signal he’s moved to an even higher plane which would be pretty damn cool.

Considering Snyder has managed to lose quite a bit outside of the world / Olympic Games I’d be prettt stoked if he won Yarygin convincingly. I’ve always felt his losing in the WC or other tournaments was a function of it being during the school year and folk season and a bit about peaking and wasn’t too worried. However should he trample the field it would signal he’s moved to an even higher plane which would be pretty damn cool.

Snyder has never lost "quite a bit". He has an unreal win â„….

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk