2td3nf

The 2018 Yarygin (Jan 26-28)

I saw a fair amount of folkstyle moves come into useful play for DT.  Partly body memory and instinct perhaps; partly strategic stuff that simply works and that international guys aren't so familiar with.

I like Steiber but after he won Worlds at 61 KG he hasn't had much success.  No setup on his shots, which are predictable and which he pulled off easily in college but not at this level.  Guys are ready for them and prepared to counter.  He got horsed around quite a bit at 65 KG, too.   Not sure where he goes from here.  The cut may be too much, but he looks better at 61 KG (even if he ran into some hammers last year in Paris).

I said this was coming with Steiber. I really liked what Taylor did in this tournament. If he was going to fall apart the match with the Cuban would have done it. He fell behind afterwards, had a plan, worked it, and won in unorthodox scrambles. Taylor can adapt. Not sure where he goes in the next Olympic trails but he has matured. Dake is, and will remain, an enigma. He can beat Taylor everyday for eternity but I just don't see him maturing to have consistent results that gets to firsts international.

I don't see how these are different than last year. Seem identical.

I don't consider Dake's throw to be grand amplitude (therefore doesn't satisfy the 4 point criteria). I suppose you could argue that it was, but then we are talking judgement call, not rule interpretation.

2 points

1. -  To the wrestler who overcomes and then controls his opponent by passing behind (three points of contact: two arms and one knee or two knees and one arm or head).

2. -  To the wrestler who applies a correct and complete throw that brings his opponent into a prone position or lateral position or a position with three points of contact. The defensive wrestler must lose control during the throw.

3. -  To the wrestler who executes a hold that places his opponent's back at an angle of less than 90 degrees, including when his opponent is on one or two outstretched arms.

4. -  To the attacking wrestler whose opponent rolls onto his shoulders.

5. -  To the wrestler who blocks his opponent in the execution of a hold from the standing position, in a

position of danger. 

Looking at the replay, I agree, it was a nice, but not that significant of a throw.   Seemed more dramatic when it happened.

Anyone know why there is no access to the 2018 Yarygin matches on UWW's site? They have all the results posted with a corresponding button to click onto the match video but most videos still aren't posted yet.

Then, clicking on the replay of "Relive the action" of Mat A, Mat B or Mat C, it says "The event is not available in your location" and "The owner of the event has chosen to block your location", "Contact the owner of the event". 

American fans are now blocked from UWW videos?

Also paid trackwrestling the annual membership fee of $50 for UWW events. Nothing there either. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I said this was coming with Steiber. I really liked what Taylor did in this tournament. If he was going to fall apart the match with the Cuban would have done it. He fell behind afterwards, had a plan, worked it, and won in unorthodox scrambles. Taylor can adapt. Not sure where he goes in the next Olympic trails but he has matured. Dake is, and will remain, an enigma. He can beat Taylor everyday for eternity but I just don't see him maturing to have consistent results that gets to firsts international.

In what way do you not see him maturing or having consistent results?  The finals match was far from his most impressive but otherwise he has been an absolute monster Internationally at 174, just as he has been domestically against all but one of the all-time greats in JB and an outstanding and much much larger Jaden.  From my perspective he is the total package in freestyle these days. His defense is incredible as always, par terre is among our best, he's developed an incredible upper body game and even shows a hell of a lot more leg attacks than we'd have dreamed in college.   

I have a feeling that we see a completely different match with the Russian who beat him next time around. Tough for me to see him not leaving with a medal regardless.