2td3nf

The 2018 Yarygin (Jan 26-28)

I enjoyed the Dake match (thanks steamboat), and was surprised how easily Gadzhi scored on Dake to start. The match degenerated into what looked like two exhausted old men fighting it out, kind of like the end of Rocky I. I can imagine Dake closing the gap just on defense alone. 

Anybody have the link for Dake's semis match?  I watched the first match live then fell asleep.  

If Dake controls his composure better (in relation to arguing with the ref) he can beat anybody.  Seems like the coaches didn't tell him he's wrestling in Russia against Russians and that he wouldn't get any calls.  I was actually shocked they didn't give that other guy exposure points at the end of Dake's first match.  

I thought today's bouts were to start at 11:00 am on Track.  However, I'm having trouble finding the stream.  (The below one isn't working for me - at least not yet.)

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&loadBalanced=true&sport=wrestling&TIM=1517069390489&pageName=&ie=false&frameSize=510

Any help would be appreciated.

I thought today's bouts were to start at 11:00 am on Track. However, I'm having trouble finding the stream. (The below one isn't working for me - at least not yet.)

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&loadBalanced=true&sport=wrestling&TIM=1517069390489&pageName=&ie=false&frameSize=510

Eleven pm Eastern.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I thought today's bouts were to start at 11:00 am on Track. However, I'm having trouble finding the stream. (The below one isn't working for me - at least not yet.)

11:00 P.M.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Dake was soundly beaten in the finals but it isn't a result he cannot reverse the next time. The thing I noticed is that he allowed his opponent to control the ties. The guy had his hand on both of Kyle's shoulders throughout the match while Kyle had his hands inside, almost in a shell. He wasn't contesting the ties and that led directly to the first take down. The second and third takedown were more of the same, letting his opponent get his hands on his shoulders or upper arms, although the second was also a result of Kyle going for a high risk move. You are not going to defeat opponents at this level if you don't hand fight and contest the tie ups. In these tournaments you are up against one experienced, accomplished opponent after another. Get off on the wrong foot and you lose. 

That said it is a good experience.

Edited by straggler

Not that Dake can't make adjustments but I didn't see it being as simple as having that match over again. The Russian was just flat out better than Dake wrestling a very similar style. It wasn't until ~1:20 left when the Russian gassed that Dake even threatened a takedown, and at that point he was too tired himself to make a comeback. Maybe if he keeps the pressure on like Snyder does and avoids giving up easy takedowns (like the second one) he might be able to wear the guy down and win, but I didn't see any opportunities for Dake to score for nearly the first five minutes.

Edited by Crotalus

Dake was soundly beaten in the finals but it isn't a result he cannot reverse the next time. The thing I noticed is that he allowed his opponent to control the ties. The guy had his hand on both of Kyle's shoulders throughout the match while Kyle had his hands inside, almost in a shell. He wasn't contesting the ties and that led directly to the first take down. The second and third takedown were more of the same, letting his opponent get his hands on his shoulders or upper arms, although the second was also a result of Kyle going for a high risk move. You are not going to defeat opponents at this level if you don't hand fight and contest the tie ups. In these tournaments you are up against one experienced, accomplished opponent after another. Get off on the wrong foot and you lose. 

That said it is a good experience.

That's a good point. One thing that makes Kyle Dake fun to watch is that he hits a lot of spectacular moves, especially throws (and heavy mat returns in folkstyle), but I think he is prone to looking for a big move when something a little more straightforward will do. It's probably a tough habit to break because Dake is Dake and he actually can toss 95% of competitors around, but maybe not so many guys at this level? 

Like against Ghadz he didn't have to attempt a cement mixer (I think it's called? the rolling exposure move from a front headlock) when it might have been less risky to take the near leg and/or spin around. And earlier against Kurbanov, I think, it looked like Dake wanted to elevate from a single leg shot really high and launch or hard trip him in epic fashion but that seems to give elite guys too much space to get away or counter, and makes it harder to chain wrestle to a turn. That being said, I'm kind of torn on all this because I like the whole risk-reward thing and Dake just needs to wrestle his style, which has been working pretty well thus far.

The other thing that's been mentioned is Dake's frequent gesturing and complaining to the officials. If that's what it takes for him to get angry and wrestle with a chip on his shoulder, great, but Dake obviously doesn't need any help from the refs to win matches and the tactic can backfire sometimes. It looks like he can mentally take himself out of matches when he gets frustrated by missed calls and such. I don't think Dake was as gassed at the end of his match vs. Ghadz as he was psychologically beaten. Kind of reminded me of the way Taylor looked resigned and mentally defeated against Dake during the NCAA finals, or the way Dake let the officiating get to him during trials against JB. Apparently, Dake's biggest threat may be himself.

Dake wrestled well given his newness to international competition. Remember this is his first major international tournament EVER. He beat a couple of solid opponents, especially his first, and gained valuable experience. The finals match gave him homework to go do before his next foray overseas.

This weekend showed how tough it is to beat the best in the world. Helen Maroulis loses twice, world champ Stieber gets teched out of placing, etc. Dake will be fine going forward and will adjust, as he has always done.

Bekbulatov wins his 4th Yarygin title at 65kg (2018, 2017, 2015, 2013).

Btw, he did win it last night, right? Thought he almost lost it at the end by running away from Chakaev in the last seconds but looked like he held on to win 3-3. Did they reverse the result? Themat.com results has Chakaev 1st and Bekbulatov 2nd. UWW site has Bekbulatov as the 65 champ. Typo?

Dake wrestled well given his newness to international competition. Remember this is his first major international tournament EVER. He beat a couple of solid opponents, especially his first, and gained valuable experience. The finals match gave him homework to go do before his next foray overseas.

This weekend showed how tough it is to beat the best in the world. Helen Maroulis loses twice, world champ Stieber gets teched out of placing, etc. Dake will be fine going forward and will adjust, as he has always done.

This is not Dake's first international competition. 90c23ec916517129093022c3734feed2.jpg

Lähetetty minun MIX laitteesta Tapatalkilla

This is not Dake's first international competition. 

I said it was his first MAJOR international competition. Everything else he's done is not the same level compared to the Yarygin. I suppose you could call the Medved comparable, but Dake wrestle that with a broken hand two years ago. He has since had two surgeries and therefore considerable time off.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Bekbulatov wins his 4th Yarygin title at 65kg (2018, 2017, 2015, 2013).

Btw, he did win it last night, right? Thought he almost lost it at the end by running away from Chakaev in the last seconds but looked like he held on to win 3-3. Did they reverse the result? Themat.com results has Chakaev 1st and Bekbulatov 2nd. UWW site has Bekbulatov as the 65 champ. Typo?

It was Bekbulatov as a winner on criteria- a takedown and a pushout vs 3 push-outs. I saw his hand raised by the referee. Man, Bekbulatov is great. SUPER COOL temper. I'm in awe of him. He's the European champion already. He's the one I would model after.

Too bad, the Russians figured Logan out. Logan has the aggressive nature which the Russians were able to exploit. It is much like Bobby Douglas vs Dan Gable's aggressive style. Bobby exploit it and beat Dan over and over constantly. Logan has to be assertive rather than aggressive- wait for right moment or opening to seize.

Bekbulatov is too cool. I would love to have him as the partner where I could learn from. Viva Bekbulatov!!

Edited by Buckeyebison

I said it was his first MAJOR international competition. Everything else he's done is nothing compared to the Yarygin. I suppose you could call the Medved comparable, but even that is not the Yarygin.

This year Yarigin in 79kg was not harder than than Medved 2016 or golden grand prix 2013 where dake wrestled. 

Edited by FreestyleWrestler

Dake proved today that he is a medal contender at 79 kg.  This was one of his best performances to date. The idea that our chances of repeating as world champions increased with the introduction of the new weights took a hit though.  Gadzhi looked really tough and I actually think Dake should have lost his 1/4 match because there was time on the clock when he was turned.  . 

Dake proved today that he is a medal contender at 79 kg.  This was one of his best performances to date. The idea that our chances of repeating as world champions increased with the introduction of the new weights took a hit though.  Gadzhi looked really tough and I actually think Dake should have lost his 1/4 match because there was time on the clock when he was turned.  . 

It was 0 when I looked. Anyway, I thought more controversial than that was how he didn't get 4 on the throw. I don't see how that wasn't feet to exposure.