2td3nf

The 2018 Yarygin (Jan 26-28)

I mostly think at 65 Logan is not competitive in the world. His arm bars have been scouted and he gives up too many points. Up a weight giving up a lead is hard to come back from. I think he got his world title and obviously a 4 time NCAA guy. But I think he has reached his ceiling.

Just wait... a return to 65kg is exactly what Logan needed.  He'll blitz the field en route to an easy title.  Probably.  Maybe.  I can dream at least. 

IMO holding 61kg was killing him. I still have images of the Rashidov match burned in my retinas. You're probably right, and he won't be a medal contender at 65.  This weekend will give us a clear indication of where he is, in any case.  

Just wait... a return to 65kg is exactly what Logan needed.  He'll blitz the field en route to an easy title.  Probably.  Maybe.  I can dream at least. 

IMO holding 61kg was killing him. I still have images of the Rashidov match burned in my retinas. You're probably right, and he won't be a medal contender at 65.  This weekend will give us a clear indication of where he is, in any case.  

I always root for out guys, just keeping is real. He needs a 140 pound weight.

With many of our guys showing up a few days before the competition - is this good or will the short time to get over jet lag and get used to the area hurt?

Would be nice for them to have a couple weeks in country to work out and get ready without the recent stress of travel.

If you prep it right 3-4 days is what you need to get to get over jet lag. Getting a good work out in when you land usually covers the first 4-5 hours. Add in guys used to wrestling in different time zones and that is 3 more hours of so. The other 2-3 days make up the rest.

I kind of remember him gassing and holding on (or losing) late in some of his matches at OTTs.  Then again maybe he was trying to pack on weight since he was too small for 65 with night before weighins. 

I couldn't find the match scores or brackets from the 2016 OTT's but I remember Stieber losing a very close match to Molinaro. Maybe Logan gassed, I don't remember how the match went.

When I say Logan looked great on his Olympic run at 65kg, I was talking about all his tournaments leading up to and including the Trials. How about the Golden Gran Prix in November, 2015 where Logan wins silver and beats World (and eventual Olympic champ) Soslan Romanov in the brackets. Logan also pinned a perennial World ranked wrestler in Mustafayev from AZE in that bracket.

Ok, then Logan gets knocked out of the 2016 Yarygin first round by losing a barnburner 14-12 to a jacked Nukhadiev (RUS) with very questionable scoring in that match. (Still thought Logan outscored him, but oh well.)

Then the 2016 Medved in February, Logan wins bronze only losing to Frank Chamizo 10-8 and where Logan teched 2 different Russians, teched Futrell and beat Kontoyea (BEL). 

So yes, I still believe Logan was right there with the best guys in the world at 65kg in 2016.

This will be very interesting to see if he can bounce back at 65 especially after seeing what happened in Paris down at 61kg.

Steiber will have to go through Retherford to get the 65 KG US World Team position.   That should be one great battle.  Both are veritable octopuses from top (deadly tentacles; must feel like 8 limbs).    Retherford's neutral game is also much improved.   When Zain comes off the folk season, he should be in top shape.  And while Steiber is going up a weight, Retherford will effectively be coming down a weight.  Zain will have to transition back to freestyle (but I doubt that will be too much a problem) while Steiber will have been wrestling freestyle full time.   Yarygin should give us a good sense of where Steiber is and with whom he can hang.   Personally, I like both guys, who seem to have their heads screwed on straight and see the bigger and more important things in life.  Would prefer to see Steiber at 61KG and Retherford at 65 KG but if the cut is too much for Logan, that's understandable.  

Pretty cool that Snyder’s weight is the last day. I had wondered about him wrestling the Iowa dual and then making the journey to the far reaches of Russia. Having it be the last day gives him a bit more time to get over the travel and aclimate.

Is there any chance in hell USA wrestling (or Tom Ryan) lobbied for this timing or is this pure luck?

Cox hardly ever wrestles any tournaments unless he has too.

This is a baseless comment. He was a full time college student and wrestler until last spring. He hasn't been avoiding international tournaments. Hopefully we will see him in a lot more events in the next few years.

Steiber will have to go through Retherford to get the 65 KG US World Team position.   That should be one great battle.  Both are veritable octopuses from top (deadly tentacles; must feel like 8 limbs).    Retherford's neutral game is also much improved.   When Zain comes off the folk season, he should be in top shape.  And while Steiber is going up a weight, Retherford will effectively be coming down a weight.  Zain will have to transition back to freestyle (but I doubt that will be too much a problem) while Steiber will have been wrestling freestyle full time.   Yarygin should give us a good sense of where Steiber is and with whom he can hang.   Personally, I like both guys, who seem to have their heads screwed on straight and see the bigger and more important things in life.  Would prefer to see Steiber at 61KG and Retherford at 65 KG but if the cut is too much for Logan, that's understandable.  

I wonder if Kendric Maple will compete at 65kg this year. He's training with JB and James Green in Nebraska now, isn't he?

Haha you saw it the same place I did it seems.

I am hoping social media got it right. Snyder trashing the rest of the world is getting mundane. Sudalaev isn't going to get worked. Their last match was as epic as advertised.  Not quite the same urgency it would still be fun.

A Russian friend posted this on another board.

https://twitter.com/sikom_d/status/956221607734927361

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeVkt5DlRBl/

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

At least Tedeev is saying Ramonov and Geduev could be part of their main squad which is going to Europe and to the Worlds.

The best news so far this week about Yarygin is the possible Snyder vs. Sadulaev 2.

You know Russia is stacked when guys have to compete to make the Yarygin team. So it sounds like Ramonov, Geduev and Sadulaev didn't participate in any of the Russian qualifying tournaments, but Ramonov and Geduev are off of the roster for Yarygin because they've moved up from their Olympic weights and presumably can't cut back down, whereas Sadulaev is being allowed to compete but only if it's back up at his Olympic weight?

The rationale makes sense I guess, but why wait until the last minute to tell them they will only be considered if they compete at their Olympic weight classes or won't compete? Also, will Sadulaev be bumping someone off the Russian team at 97kg or will there be 6 reps at that weight? I assume the latter since 70 and 79 only have 4 Russian reps listed, but maybe our Blini Friend Khuzin could clarify for his Burger Friends. :)

Btw, why does Russia have ~5 wrestlers per weight on their team? Is it because of a lack of foreign participation?

http://www.wrestrus.ru/news/Novosti_turnirov/gran_pri_ivan_yarigin_2018/soslan_ramonov_i_aniuar_geduev_ne_budut_borot_sja_na_gran_pri_ivan_jarigin_2018_okonchatel_nij_spisok_sbornoj_rossii

This is a baseless comment. He was a full time college student and wrestler until last spring. He hasn't been avoiding international tournaments. Hopefully we will see him in a lot more events in the next few years.

Baseless? How many tournaments has he wrestled. OTT, a tournament to qualify weight,Olympics, WTT and worlds. Nothing extra from what I can see

Baseless? How many tournaments has he wrestled. OTT, a tournament to qualify weight,Olympics, WTT and worlds. Nothing extra from what I can see

Yes, and he did all of that while still a college wrestler and student. He did not take the Snyder route of wrestling NCAA part time (not intended as a slight in any way) so he could compete in international events. In the past decade or more, aside from Snyder, how many college wrestlers competed in that many international events?

This would be the first big international event he has missed since graduating, and another poster earlier stated that he may be recovering. He is also coaching for Mizzou, which is in the middle of the season, but that shouldn't necessarily prevent him from traveling. Now if he continues to only wrestle in a minimum number of events in the future (like Jordan Oliver), then you would have a point. But as it stands, I don't believe your comment is valid.

Edited by Crotalus

To be fair: Cox had knee surgery following the Olympics, followed by rehab and his senior season in college. He was also making plans to play football for Mizzou in his fifth year of NCAA eligibility and didn't announce that he would continue wrestling freestyle until like a month before WTTs.  Cox reinjured his knee against David Taylor at WTTs and didn't have the opportunity to compete until Worlds at the end of August. Give him a month or two to rest & recover, plus camps/clinics, appearances, his assistant coaching job and whatnot, and that's a pretty small sliver of time to go out and compete in international tournaments.

Yes, and he did all of that while still a college wrestler and student. He did not take the Snyder route of wrestling NCAA part time (not intended as a slight in any way) so he could compete in international events. In the past decade or more, aside from Snyder, how many college wrestlers competed in that many international events?

This would be the first big international event he has missed since graduating, and another poster earlier stated that he may be recovering. He is also coaching for Mizzou, which is in the middle of the season, but that shouldn't necessarily prevent him from traveling. Now if he continues to only wrestle in a minimum number of events in the future (like Jordan Oliver), then you would have a point. But as it stands, I don't believe your comment is valid.

I believe my point is valid. Until he wrestles in international tournaments that he doesn't have to my point will remain valid..all of your points just proved my argument, so thanks.

I'm not knocking the guy, he can do whatever he wants. I keep reading people say they wished Cox competed more internationally, and I said he doesn't compete unless he has too. Which has been his history up until and including now.

Edited by Ogalthorpe Haywood