Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

A New Suriano Thread

Suriano does "strut" around a lot, however that could be his way of keeping his focus. I know plenty of guys who do that when they're getting themselves "in the zone" and it certainly doesn't make him a "cocky little bastard." IMO running his mouth, disrespecting his competition or showboating would make him a "cocky little bastard."

I said he struts around like one - not that he is one.  I don't know him.

Still no love for bresser I see

Bresser needs at least one TD move against the best. He used to be undersized and unable to finish. He seems big enough and still can't finish. In till he gets that he is low AA or round of 12.

My not-so-bold prediction is that the top four seeds won't end up in the top four spots on the podium. I'd say two out of the four, tops. With guys like Bresser, Lizak, Picc, Moisey, Rivera, LaMont, Milhof and who knows who else capable of making a deep run at nationals, the weight is just too much of a minefield to go all chalk. For all we know we could see Stickley or Welch up there when all is said and done.

Yup, par for the course at this weight in recent years.

Don't see Suriano losing to Cruz. I have no issue with putting Lee and Nato above him but Cruz shouldn't be there.

You have no problem putting a true freshman who got sixth at midlands above him, but not the returning national champ? Makes sense.

Don't see Suriano losing to Cruz. I have no issue with putting Lee and Nato above him but Cruz shouldn't be there.

Pretty sure no one predicted Cruz as NCAA Champ either. You know Cruz, the guy who sort of dominated the Gilman who won a tough but solid decision over Suriano. This weight is weird in this way.

It doesn't matter who he beat. His Snaky style just pisses me off. I don't like suriano either but was very glad that he beat Bresser.

Up until this year he has been undersized and under powered, in a substandard room. Basically it is what he had to do. We'll see if he can transition. There is a back story of a over the top "little league parent" type dad as well. Why his name is sometimes Rios, and sometimes Bresser.

Thought Surian’s comment “he didn’t like the way things were handled” was inappropriate. His actions threw some dispersions at the PSU staff. So I guess Cael was wrong in not letting Suriano wrestle injured? Fact is he was uncomfortable being away from his family and Rutgers got him closer to his family. That’s like a lot of college kids. I’m a Rutgers fan but I think Suriano’s comments were out of line. I can see why he is not a fan favorite.

He kind of put me off when he said, over and over, his injury was "tragic". A tragic injury is career ending, life changing, paralysis, brain damage and death. Not a poorly timed badly sprained ankle.

Suriano is just an adrenaline-fueled hard-nosed kid. Doesn't strike me as a bad kid, just very intense. He talks like he's preparing for an MMA career, which he is:

After beating Fix at the WNO a few years ago: "I do this for a living...[all 18 years old of him]" "That's what you get [Fix] for talking trash [on social media]..."

About NCAAs last year: "I had a title stripped from me last year..." 

Clumsy choice of words more than anything.

The one thing he did which I found funny was against Bresser at Midlands. After they went out of bounds once, he ran back to the center and made a motion towards Bresser as if to say, get back here and stop resting, you puss. Gave me a chuckle.

I've never seen him do anything out of line in HS or college.

Here we go, barring injury or complete mental breakdown, the following is how they'll shake out in March.   

1. Suriano - the class of the division keeps enough of what he learned at Penn State and cruises to an undefeated national title

2. Tomasello - it isn't easy getting there, but NATO helps TOSU to 2nd place in the team race with his strong performance

3. Cruz - defending national champ unable to repeat losing a tough one in the semis to national champ Suriano 

4. Rivera - very tough drops a razor thin one in the consolation final

5. Bresser - this kid can just flat out go.    drops 1 point bouts to this years national champ and last years national champ, crushes in 5th place bout

6. Lee - goes through major growing pains, dropping several head scratcher type bouts and equals his controversial Midlands finish; Iowa 10th.

7. Lizak -   

8. Picc

Here we go, barring injury or complete mental breakdown, the following is how they'll shake out in March.

1. Suriano - the class of the division keeps enough of what he learned at Penn State and cruises to an undefeated national title

2. Tomasello - it isn't easy getting there, but NATO helps TOSU to 2nd place in the team race with his strong performance

3. Cruz - defending national champ unable to repeat losing a tough one in the semis to national champ Suriano

5. Bresser - this kid can just flat out go. drops 1 point bouts to this years national champ and last years national champ, crushes in 5th place bout

6. Lee - goes through major growing pains, dropping several head scratcher type bouts and equals his controversial Midlands finish; Iowa 10th.

7. Lizak -

8. Picc

What about Lamont?

If Cruz loses to Suriano in the semis and you have Suriano being undefeated are you putting Suriano as the 1 seed and Cruz as the 4 seed?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

What about Lamont?

If Cruz loses to Suriano in the semis and you have Suriano being undefeated are you putting Suriano as the 1 seed and Cruz as the 4 seed?

Yes that's correct.     

Lamont 2 and bar b q   Happens every year

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

5. Bresser - this kid can just flat out go.    drops 1 point bouts to this years national champ and last years national champ, crushes in 5th place bout

7. Lizak -   

8. Picc

I actually see a pretty similar breakdown although my gut is NATO #1 if he's fully recovered. Cruz at 2/3 I agree with. Maybe Picc a bit higher but I'm not sure who I would drop lower in your list. It's crazy to think Lee could drop to 6th but I see him struggling against NATO due to his size and I think Cruz and Suriano are both savvy enough to take a match from him, so depends on seeding. 

I don't see how Cruz lands at the 4 seed...he should cruise (ha) the rest of the way.  

Cruz is looking impressive, imo. I think he should be the odds on favorite at this point. Picc got lucky to beat him at the All Star match.

I don't see how Cruz lands at the 4 seed...he should cruise (ha) the rest of the way.  

This is one of my head scratchers (we get them all the time) leading up to the tournament.   He would have to get DQ'd, or pulled from a bout  and default.   It could be he gets hit with a cement job from hell and it messes up his seed.    Maybe he misses the bus to the qualifier and DNP has to get petitioned in to Nationals.  The alarm clock does not go off and he over sleeps well into the afternoon.    You never know.    My crystal ball ins't showing any of that, other than 1 Suriano over 4 Cruz.    

Nothing is "for sure", but on this site we like to make predictions.  It's possible that IMar gets injured before NCAAs and doesn't compete, just like Suriano did,  which could "possibly" happen to any wrestler.  Suriano had a freak accident in the last dual of the year.  Highly unlikely that happens again, but nothing is "for sure" about any wrestler.  However, I will wager most anyone that Suriano finishes among the Top 6, and is more than likely going to be a semi-finalist this year. 

How about betting the spread @ $10K x?  You've got Suriano and I'll take iMart.  So if both finish 2nd, then no payout.  Suriano wins and iMart second - I owe your $10k.  If Suriano 2nd and iMart 5th - I owe you $30k.  If iMart wins and Suriano is in a boot again ... well lets just say I'll be a rich and happy camper.  Or we could just do a simple sig bet at 1 month per spread point?

shop smart but also bet smart

shop and bet iMart

It's really unfair that most of you say Suriano is cocky and a "head case" when he really isn't, I mean have any of you actually have a conversation with him cause I have. He is a super respectable guy and is really nice when you actually talk to him. Don't read a book by its cover...

Pretty sure no one predicted Cruz as NCAA Champ either. You know Cruz, the guy who sort of dominated the Gilman who won a tough but solid decision over Suriano. This weight is weird in this way.

I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No way that an undefeated Cruz is the 4-seed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly, for Cruz and Suriano to botj be undefeated Cruz would at worst be seeded 2nd with probably Nato/Lee being seeded 3/4 with one having lost to Suriano at B1Gs.

The only way I see Suriano facing Cruz in the semis is an undefeated Nato being seeded 1st with Cruz and Suriano(who loses at B1G's) being seeded 2nd and 3rd. Or undefeated Cruz being seeded 1st with Suriano being seeded 4th have taken 3rd at B1G's with Nato and Lee being seeded 2/3 depending on who wins B1G's.

For Suriano to be the 1 seed and Cruz the 4th, Cruz will need to have lost somewhere before conferences.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Exactly, for Cruz and Suriano to botj be undefeated Cruz would at worst be seeded 2nd with probably Nato/Lee being seeded 3/4 with one having lost to Suriano at B1Gs.

The only way I see Suriano facing Cruz in the semis is an undefeated Nato being seeded 1st with Cruz and Suriano(who loses at B1G's) being seeded 2nd and 3rd. Or undefeated Cruz being seeded 1st with Suriano being seeded 4th have taken 3rd at B1G's with Nato and Lee being seeded 2/3 depending on who wins B1G's.

If Cruz is undefeated he has to be (by criteria) seeded above Nato, even if Nato is undefeated.