Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

A New Suriano Thread

Here we go, barring injury or complete mental breakdown, the following is how they'll shake out in March.

1. Suriano - the class of the division keeps enough of what he learned at Penn State and cruises to an undefeated national title

2. Tomasello - it isn't easy getting there, but NATO helps TOSU to 2nd place in the team race with his strong performance

3. Cruz - defending national champ unable to repeat losing a tough one in the semis to national champ Suriano

4. Rivera - very tough drops a razor thin one in the consolation final

5. Bresser - this kid can just flat out go. drops 1 point bouts to this years national champ and last years national champ, crushes in 5th place bout

6. Lee - goes through major growing pains, dropping several head scratcher type bouts and equals his controversial Midlands finish; Iowa 10th.

7. Lizak -

8. Picc

Good as a prediction as any other but this weight hasn't gone as planned in recent years.

I don't see suriano losing - even though this weight class is so good, he's a step ahead of all of them. 

TS said 4th?  Maybe if he wrestles with a broken ankle. Otherwise no way. 

I assume he's the only undefeated 125 pounder except for Tomasello who is 1-0 and just ducked Suriano so... 

BTFB, what about this:

Lee wins B1G and has one loss (to non-conference guy) going into nationals. He beats Nato in the finals, who beat Suriano to get there.

Then you could have the following seeds:

Cruz

Lee

Nato

Suriano

While Suriano's number of matches is higher than Nato's, heads up record is weighted the same, so it's a wash. Conference placement would favor Nato in this scenario.

I think that is more likely than an undefeated Nato being seeded above undefeated Cruz as the 1 seed.

I am NOT predicting this, just showing that it is possible that Cruz and Suriano could meet before the finals.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

BTFB, what about this:

Lee wins B1G and has one loss (to non-conference guy) going into nationals. He beats Nato in the finals, who beat Suriano to get there.

Then you could have the following seeds:

Cruz

Lee

Nato

Suriano

While Suriano's number of matches is higher than Nato's, heads up record is weighted the same, so it's a wash. Conference placement would favor Nato in this scenario.

I think that is more likely than an undefeated Nato being seeded above undefeated Cruz as the 1 seed.

I am NOT predicting this, just showing that it is possible that Cruz and Suriano could meet before the finals.

That's another scenario, but for that to happen Nato and Suriano would have to be seeded on the same side of the bracket at B1G's. I dont see that happening. Lee would have to be seeded 3rd or 4th and take out Suriano/Nato in the semis/finals.

The main point of all this is if both Suriano and Cruz are both undefeated entering NCAAs there's almost no chance that they will meet in the semis, unless Daton Fix gets his shirt pulled, finishes the season undefeated and gets the 1 seed over Cruz and Suriano.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

When's the last time there's been more than 1 undefeated wrestler in an NCAA bracket?

The last one off the top of my head was 2011 157 I think...

Correction.. last one off the top of my head is Sndyer vs Gwizdowski

Edited by BigTenFanboy

You have no problem putting a true freshman who got sixth at midlands above him, but not the returning national champ? Makes sense.

When that true freshman is Spencer Lee, no I have 0 issue with it. And let's not act like he would have taken 6th had he wrestled passed the championship bracket. 

When's the last time there's been more than 1 undefeated wrestler in an NCAA bracket?

Three undefeated 157s in 2004, if my memory is correct. Gentry, Tirapelle, and Percival.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ringer & I Jordan were also undefeated at the start of the 2016 NCAA tournament.  I'm not positive but weren't D Taylor , A Hall & Fittery all undefeated at in 2011.  I know DT was and Hall and Fittery were both seeded above him. 

Quinten and Kilgore @ 197 in 2013 is another 

Yes, Suriano is a head case. He was that way at Penn State and didn't fit in with the team mentality. He has a chip on his shoulder. Seems tacitly to blame others for the fact that he couldn't compete for a national championship. Now, he is "the star" (big fish) in a small universe (pond). He very barely eeked out two wins at Midlands.

This hate is not based in facts. Jesus dude. I get it. You are a PSU fan. Calm down

Exactly, for Cruz and Suriano to botj be undefeated Cruz would at worst be seeded 2nd with probably Nato/Lee being seeded 3/4 with one having lost to Suriano at B1Gs.

The only way I see Suriano facing Cruz in the semis is an undefeated Nato being seeded 1st with Cruz and Suriano(who loses at B1G's) being seeded 2nd and 3rd. Or undefeated Cruz being seeded 1st with Suriano being seeded 4th have taken 3rd at B1G's with Nato and Lee being seeded 2/3 depending on who wins B1G's.

For Suriano to be the 1 seed and Cruz the 4th, Cruz will need to have lost somewhere before conferences.

I was reading Cletus’s prediction as thinking that Cruz will lose before NCAA’s...

Yes, Suriano is a head case. He was that way at Penn State and didn't fit in with the team mentality. He has a chip on his shoulder. Seems tacitly to blame others for the fact that he couldn't compete for a national championship. Now, he is "the star" (big fish) in a small universe (pond). He very barely eeked out two wins at Midlands.

Lol, you sound like a jilted girlfriend. I can't wait to watch the response when nick wins the national title, and OSU wins the team, w PSU GETTING NO POINTS at 125-133.