• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

All of Suriano's talk about leaving PSU has been transparent BS in my opinion....

Are you suggesting he's STILL AT PSU?

• ironmonkey likes this

#42 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

yeah thats it.

#43 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

I don't see how Cruz lands at the 4 seed...he should cruise (ha) the rest of the way.  

This is one of my head scratchers (we get them all the time) leading up to the tournament.   He would have to get DQ'd, or pulled from a bout  and default.   It could be he gets hit with a cement job from hell and it messes up his seed.    Maybe he misses the bus to the qualifier and DNP has to get petitioned in to Nationals.  The alarm clock does not go off and he over sleeps well into the afternoon.    You never know.    My crystal ball ins't showing any of that, other than 1 Suriano over 4 Cruz.    

#44 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Nothing is "for sure", but on this site we like to make predictions.  It's possible that IMar gets injured before NCAAs and doesn't compete, just like Suriano did,  which could "possibly" happen to any wrestler.  Suriano had a freak accident in the last dual of the year.  Highly unlikely that happens again, but nothing is "for sure" about any wrestler.  However, I will wager most anyone that Suriano finishes among the Top 6, and is more than likely going to be a semi-finalist this year. 

How about betting the spread @ $10K x?  You've got Suriano and I'll take iMart.  So if both finish 2nd, then no payout.  Suriano wins and iMart second - I owe your $10k.  If Suriano 2nd and iMart 5th - I owe you $30k.  If iMart wins and Suriano is in a boot again ... well lets just say I'll be a rich and happy camper.  Or we could just do a simple sig bet at 1 month per spread point?

shop smart but also bet smart

shop and bet iMart

#45 WrestlingLife

WrestlingLife
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

It's really unfair that most of you say Suriano is cocky and a "head case" when he really isn't, I mean have any of you actually have a conversation with him cause I have. He is a super respectable guy and is really nice when you actually talk to him. Don't read a book by its cover...

#46 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

So, you are saying he acts like a head case?

#47 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Pretty sure no one predicted Cruz as NCAA Champ either. You know Cruz, the guy who sort of dominated the Gilman who won a tough but solid decision over Suriano. This weight is weird in this way.

I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#48 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

Yes that's correct.

Lamont 2 and bar b q Happens every year

No way that an undefeated Cruz is the 4-seed.

#49 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

No way that an undefeated Cruz is the 4-seed.

Exactly, for Cruz and Suriano to botj be undefeated Cruz would at worst be seeded 2nd with probably Nato/Lee being seeded 3/4 with one having lost to Suriano at B1Gs.

The only way I see Suriano facing Cruz in the semis is an undefeated Nato being seeded 1st with Cruz and Suriano(who loses at B1G's) being seeded 2nd and 3rd. Or undefeated Cruz being seeded 1st with Suriano being seeded 4th have taken 3rd at B1G's with Nato and Lee being seeded 2/3 depending on who wins B1G's.

For Suriano to be the 1 seed and Cruz the 4th, Cruz will need to have lost somewhere before conferences.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 08 January 2018 - 01:45 PM.

#50 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Exactly, for Cruz and Suriano to botj be undefeated Cruz would at worst be seeded 2nd with probably Nato/Lee being seeded 3/4 with one having lost to Suriano at B1Gs.
The only way I see Suriano facing Cruz in the semis is an undefeated Nato being seeded 1st with Cruz and Suriano(who loses at B1G's) being seeded 2nd and 3rd. Or undefeated Cruz being seeded 1st with Suriano being seeded 4th have taken 3rd at B1G's with Nato and Lee being seeded 2/3 depending on who wins B1G's.

If Cruz is undefeated he has to be (by criteria) seeded above Nato, even if Nato is undefeated.

#51 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,307 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

Here we go, barring injury or complete mental breakdown, the following is how they'll shake out in March.

1. Suriano - the class of the division keeps enough of what he learned at Penn State and cruises to an undefeated national title

2. Tomasello - it isn't easy getting there, but NATO helps TOSU to 2nd place in the team race with his strong performance

3. Cruz - defending national champ unable to repeat losing a tough one in the semis to national champ Suriano

4. Rivera - very tough drops a razor thin one in the consolation final

5. Bresser - this kid can just flat out go. drops 1 point bouts to this years national champ and last years national champ, crushes in 5th place bout

6. Lee - goes through major growing pains, dropping several head scratcher type bouts and equals his controversial Midlands finish; Iowa 10th.

7. Lizak -

8. Picc

Good as a prediction as any other but this weight hasn't gone as planned in recent years.

#52 ScarletKnight

ScarletKnight

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:50 PM

I don't see suriano losing - even though this weight class is so good, he's a step ahead of all of them. 

TS said 4th?  Maybe if he wrestles with a broken ankle. Otherwise no way. 

I assume he's the only undefeated 125 pounder except for Tomasello who is 1-0 and just ducked Suriano so... 

#53 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

BTFB, what about this:

Lee wins B1G and has one loss (to non-conference guy) going into nationals. He beats Nato in the finals, who beat Suriano to get there.

Then you could have the following seeds:

Cruz

Lee

Nato

Suriano

While Suriano's number of matches is higher than Nato's, heads up record is weighted the same, so it's a wash. Conference placement would favor Nato in this scenario.

I think that is more likely than an undefeated Nato being seeded above undefeated Cruz as the 1 seed.

I am NOT predicting this, just showing that it is possible that Cruz and Suriano could meet before the finals.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 08 January 2018 - 01:53 PM.

#54 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

Cruz has obviously improved in the last year, Suriano, not so much.

#55 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

I assume he's the only undefeated 125 pounder except for Tomasello who is 1-0 and just ducked Suriano so...

ahh ... you mean besides:
Cruz 14-0
Fix 5-0

#56 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:57 PM

plus Lee wasn't gifted a call like suriano was

#57 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

BTFB, what about this:

Lee wins B1G and has one loss (to non-conference guy) going into nationals. He beats Nato in the finals, who beat Suriano to get there.

Then you could have the following seeds:
Cruz
Lee
Nato
Suriano

While Suriano's number of matches is higher than Nato's, heads up record is weighted the same, so it's a wash. Conference placement would favor Nato in this scenario.

I think that is more likely than an undefeated Nato being seeded above undefeated Cruz as the 1 seed.

I am NOT predicting this, just showing that it is possible that Cruz and Suriano could meet before the finals.

That's another scenario, but for that to happen Nato and Suriano would have to be seeded on the same side of the bracket at B1G's. I dont see that happening. Lee would have to be seeded 3rd or 4th and take out Suriano/Nato in the semis/finals.

The main point of all this is if both Suriano and Cruz are both undefeated entering NCAAs there's almost no chance that they will meet in the semis, unless Daton Fix gets his shirt pulled, finishes the season undefeated and gets the 1 seed over Cruz and Suriano.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 08 January 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#58 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

plus Lee wasn't gifted a call like suriano was

yeah and thats 25% of seeding criteria ;_;

#59 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

deserved, i was just trolling.

• BigTenFanboy likes this

#60 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

When's the last time there's been more than 1 undefeated wrestler in an NCAA bracket?

The last one off the top of my head was 2011 157 I think...

Correction.. last one off the top of my head is Sndyer vs Gwizdowski

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 08 January 2018 - 02:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users