Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Georgia - Alabama

Either team would have lost had they played OhSU, MiSU, PSU, Wisc at the big 10 school last night. Anyone think a freshman QB from Hawaii could have handled playing in 15F weather? You should not be Nat'l champ if all the games you play were at sites where the record low for the date was above freezing.

And yeah, that is when I was watching the DVRed Rutgers OhSU dual

Edited by RichB

FYI, neither school has a wrestling team. Good reason to turn the TV off.

Agree. I find it really sad that on twitter today I find a wrestling page posting positive about Alabama football and specifically Bear Bryant.  Bryant had a lot to do with why Alabama dropped their wrestling program in 1979, thus creating a domino effect that led to the SEC (Southeastern Conference) eliminating wrestling as a sponsored sport after the 1980-1981 season. (The last SEC tournament was held in 1981). 

Why would a wrestling page celebrate a guy like that?  

Alabama was a decent wrestling team.  In the short 10 year period it existed (1969-1979)  they qualified at least one wrestler to the NCAA tournament except for 1972.  Three time SEC champion/NCAA qualifier Bob Walker went on to win a bronze medal at the World Championships the same year that the Crimson Tide announced they would be discontinuing the wrestling program.  Ironically enough, Jimmy Carr, who we celebrate often as being the youngest wrestling Olympian of all time, was their last qualifier. (After wrestling at Kentucky for three years, he transferred to Alabama for his final season.) 

Georgia dropped in 1981. Which was rather ironic in itself as both 1979 and 1980, they produced two NCAA qualifiers a piece.  Not bad for a program that produced a total of 8 NCAA qualifiers in total.  I think sometimes we have to remember that there were so many more wrestling teams back in the day.  Thinking of it as 77 teams, we'd expect everyone in 10 weight classes, with 33 wrestlers per weight class, to at least qualify a single wrestler per year.  With over 150 teams, I don't think it was as easy to accomplish year in and year out. 

But enough statistics and facts from me and back to my opinion.  I sure as the sun shines wouldn't be posting about Alabama or Georgia football if I were running a wrestling related website, twitter page or facebook page and I sure wouldn't be posting about Bear Bryant who like Pat Dye at Auburn and Dick Rosenthal at Notre Dame, had a lot to do with why wrestling was eliminated. 

My two cents I guess, for whatever they're apparently not worth. 

Either team would have lost had they played OhSU, MiSU, PSU, Wisc at the big 10 school last night. Anyone think a freshman QB from Hawaii could have handled playing in 15F weather? You should not be Nat'l champ if all the games you play were at sites where the record low for the date was above freezing.

And yeah, that is when I was watching the DVRed Rutgers OhSU dual

This is so incredibly wrong. Impressive stuff.

This is so incredibly wrong. Impressive stuff.

The cold snap was below 20 below zero (wind chill) at game time. I have a hard time seeing Georgia or Alabama playing well in those conditions.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

To the contrary the State of Georgia when it comes to high school wrestling is perhaps the best state, without a DI opportunity for its wrestlers. 

Their are currently 40 Division I college wrestlers from the state of Georgia this season. 

As of intermat.com's November rankings, the following are from Georgia 
#6 Ryan Millhof Arizona State 125 lbs 
#8 Sean Russell Edinboro 125 lbs 
#8 Taylor Lujan Northern Iowa 174 lbs 
#20 Forrest Pryzbysz Appalachian State 174 lbs 
#13 Bryce Carr Chattanooga 184 lbs 

Whenever asked what State's without any Division I wrestling opportunities should have one based on the talent the produce, I usually answer Georgia and Florida. Both states have produced some very good talent throughout the years, that had to go elsewhere to wrestle because the opportunities did not exist in their home state. 

To the contrary the State of Georgia when it comes to high school wrestling is perhaps the best state, without a DI opportunity for its wrestlers. 

Their are currently 40 Division I college wrestlers from the state of Georgia this season. 

As of intermat.com's November rankings, the following are from Georgia 

#6 Ryan Millhof Arizona State 125 lbs 

#8 Sean Russell Edinboro 125 lbs 

#8 Taylor Lujan Northern Iowa 174 lbs 

#20 Forrest Pryzbysz Appalachian State 174 lbs 

#13 Bryce Carr Chattanooga 184 lbs 

Whenever asked what State's without any Division I wrestling opportunities should have one based on the talent the produce, I usually answer Georgia and Florida. Both states have produced some very good talent throughout the years, that had to go elsewhere to wrestle because the opportunities did not exist in their home state. 

A friend one mine was an AA in NAIA at UGA. He is the type of person who would've wrestled D1 if an in state school had a program. He wasn't nationally ranked in HS or anything though.

How did you pull this data? Does some site keep a running list? 

Side note: you missed Daniel Bullard! He is ranked 20th at 174

A friend one mine was an AA in NAIA at UGA. He is the type of person who would've wrestled D1 if an in state school had a program. He wasn't nationally ranked in HS or anything though.

How did you pull this data? Does some site keep a running list? 

Side note: you missed Daniel Bullard! He is ranked 20th at 174

I researched it. I looked up every Division roster and made note of it. 

Was Bullard ranked #20 at 174 lbs on intermat's rankings back in November?  

Rankings again, were pulled from intermat's November listing. 

I researched it. I looked up every Division roster and made note of it.

Was Bullard ranked #20 at 174 lbs on intermat's rankings back in November?

Rankings again, were pulled from intermat's November listing.

Ah. No. He was added this past week for the first time I believe.

See? Georgia is even better than expected this season

I have said it once and I will say it again, the rest of the nation had best be happy that the Southeastern Conference does not have wrestling.

1.  They make more money each year than all the other conferences and have the very best facilities.

2.  If they ever decide to get back into NCAA D1 Wrestling they will hire the best coaches (they have more money) and be able to recruit the best athletes.

3.  Never forget that those big 6'5" and 325lb lineman that are great athletes and can run have younger brother and cousins that are just as athletic if not more so but are just to small for big time football.  Those same brothers and cousins would make amazing wrestlers.

Edited by cbg

I think the benefits of SEC money to wrestling would be marginal at best, anyway. SEC men's basketball for example has hardly separated itself from the other power conferences despite facilities, private planes for recruiting, promotion dollars, etc. And the Mizzou Athletics Department already gets SEC media money but I don't know if the wrestling program is a significant benefactor of those inflows of cash. Football money mostly stays in football.