Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Georgia - Alabama

I think it ultimately comes down to $ and Title 9. There's more bucks in nearly any male sport than wrestling. Plus Title 9 absolutely crushed our sport...gotta give out schollies and start lady's sports programs that nobody watches/cares about. The thing that I think is interesting about that is outside women's bball/softball their other sports are massive economic losers but the schools are required to keep them ANYWAY.

Regarding building a team with out of state talent, the SEC schools pretty much wouldn't have any choice in the matter if they wanted to field a competitive top 10 type team. Sure, if they got ALL the southern talent they could maybe scrape together 1 halfway decent team.

Southern boys are soft and weak though. Best they stick to sports that use a ball, preferably one big enough they can't swallow it accidentally.

I don't know how you can say that based on the talent that Florida and Georgia have produced over the years.   Texas even. 

I don't know how you can say that based on the talent that Florida and Georgia have produced over the years.   Texas even. 

You sound more knowledgeable on the topic than I do, Johnny, and I enjoyed your posts regarding SEC wrestling. Don't get upset over my opinion, I'm pretty bigoted against the SEC because they don't have wrestling.

You sound more knowledgeable on the topic than I do, Johnny, and I enjoyed your posts regarding SEC wrestling. Don't get upset over my opinion, I'm pretty bigoted against the SEC because they don't have wrestling.

I understand being upset about a conference not having wrestling or a school for that matter.  I've been blocked by certain Drake University Twitters because I have a habit of consistently asking about when they're going to rename a building "The Lonnie Timmerman Center" and reinstate wrestling. They don't like being asked that once or twice a week apparently. 

All I am saying is simply this.  If you give me a team in Florida or Georgia.  I don't care what school.  Florida, Florida State, Central Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Georgia State whatever.  If you grant me 9.9 scholarships/money to recruit, an ability to hire coaches at competitive wages (talking one head coach and at one paid assistant), facilities (wrestling room, weight room)....

WITH TALENT STRICTLY FROM FLORIDA, GEORGIA & OTHER SOUTHERN STATES...I could produce you within 5 years or less a team that consistently finished in the top 20 at  the NCAA tournament. 

I am saying that, for what it's apparently not worth. 

Fla and Georgia have produced some pretty good talent, but not enough to fill rosters for an SEC team on any given year.  You are looking through years of data to find guys who placed at the NCAA's.  Top tier D1 programs have talent and depth, and none of those SEC states produce even close to enough talent to fill a roster and be competitive.  The SEC focuses on sports where they are always going to be in the picture for a national championship, and most of those sports have plenty of talent in their own backyard. 

My father in law was an AD at a prominent southern school (D1) that used to sponsor wrestling.  He was a fan of the sport, but said the travel and lack of a built in recruiting base were the reasons for axing the program.  Title IX makes it even easier to justify. 

You just can't expect kids who grew up on grits to be competitive with kids who grew up on scrapple!

Really, the powers that be in so many Southern schools just don't really care for the idea of Student Athletes. That is why they shoot for the minimum number of teams they can get away with. Compare that with the EIWA where most of the schools athletic philosophy is that we don't want to lose a potential excellent student because we don't field a team in a sport he or she would like to compete in.  .

You just can't expect kids who grew up on grits to be competitive with kids who grew up on scrapple!

Really, the powers that be in so many Southern schools just don't really care for the idea of Student Athletes. That is why they shoot for the minimum number of teams they can get away with. Compare that with the EIWA where most of the schools athletic philosophy is that we don't want to lose a potential excellent student because we don't field a team in a sport he or she would like to compete in.  .

Academic requirements in the SEC are pretty rotten. Take that with a grain of salt from an OU fan.

A Florida school would be a good one to concentrate efforts for. All the Northern Retirees who have moved there? Get some of them involved in the push to put Wrestling in a State University.

Problem is Miami and South Florida are within a bus ride of no one. U Florida and UCF only a little better. That is why I suggest concentrating on 5 colleges closer to each other, and to existing programs.

Of course I don't understand how alabama Huntsville (or is it Birmingham) has a hockey team. 

Fla and Georgia have produced some pretty good talent, but not enough to fill rosters for an SEC team on any given year.  You are looking through years of data to find guys who placed at the NCAA's.  Top tier D1 programs have talent and depth, and none of those SEC states produce even close to enough talent to fill a roster and be competitive.  The SEC focuses on sports where they are always going to be in the picture for a national championship, and most of those sports have plenty of talent in their own backyard. 

My father in law was an AD at a prominent southern school (D1) that used to sponsor wrestling.  He was a fan of the sport, but said the travel and lack of a built in recruiting base were the reasons for axing the program.  Title IX makes it even easier to justify. 

I disagree.  You could with wrestlers from the 2017-2018 season fill a team full of kids from Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Kentucky and Alabama.  A team full of multiple NCAA qualifiers and probably an All American or two.  

The entire SEC, ok, you have me there.  But a team?  A single team.  Yes, easily.  No problem at all. 

SEC wrestling only existed from 1969-1970 through 1980-1981

By 1983 through 1985, LSU and Tennessee were competing in other conferences/regionals for NCAA qualification. 

I don't think they were affiliated with other conferences, like SEC member Mizzou being in the MAC today.  Rather they wrestled as independents (and in the NCAA regional qualifiers as you indicated) - at least that was the case with Tennessee.  Below's a link to their final season's yearbook page.  I noticed that they beat Iowa State by a point in their dual.  (The Cyclones finished 3rd at NCAA's that year and the Vols were 10th).

http://yearbook.lib.utk.edu/index.php?bid=46&pg=235

And here's an article titled "Under The Mat: Title IX, and the end of Auburn wrestling."  Good read about the job Tom Milkovich was doing building the program up in the years immediately before it was dropped.  He said he had a crowd of 6 - 7,000 at one dual.  And the article describes the biggest moment of the Milkovich era as an upset win over Oklahoma:

"In 1980, the University of Oklahoma was ranked No. 1, and we hosted them at the Memorial Coliseum back then, and we beat them.  The place was packed and everybody ran onto the mat and it was the pinnacle."  -Jamie Milkovich

https://www.thewareaglereader.com/2013/07/under-the-mat-title-ix-and-the-end-of-auburn-wrestling/

And here's an article titled "Under The Mat: Title IX, and the end of Auburn wrestling."  Good read about the job Tom Milkovich was doing building the program up in the years immediately before it was dropped.  He said he had a crowd of 6 - 7,000 at one dual.  And the article describes the biggest moment of the Milkovich era as an upset win over Oklahoma:

"In 1980, the University of Oklahoma was ranked No. 1, and we hosted them at the Memorial Coliseum back then, and we beat them.  The place was packed and everybody ran onto the mat and it was the pinnacle."  -Jamie Milkovich

https://www.thewareaglereader.com/2013/07/under-the-mat-title-ix-and-the-end-of-auburn-wrestling/

Makes you really love Pat Dye doesn't it?  Hopefully a wrestling twitter will post something in honor of him, like they did Bear Bryant the other day.  That makes a lot of sense.