• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,349 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:12 AM

Fla and Georgia have produced some pretty good talent, but not enough to fill rosters for an SEC team on any given year.  You are looking through years of data to find guys who placed at the NCAA's.  Top tier D1 programs have talent and depth, and none of those SEC states produce even close to enough talent to fill a roster and be competitive.  The SEC focuses on sports where they are always going to be in the picture for a national championship, and most of those sports have plenty of talent in their own backyard. 

My father in law was an AD at a prominent southern school (D1) that used to sponsor wrestling.  He was a fan of the sport, but said the travel and lack of a built in recruiting base were the reasons for axing the program.  Title IX makes it even easier to justify. 

I disagree.  You could with wrestlers from the 2017-2018 season fill a team full of kids from Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Kentucky and Alabama.  A team full of multiple NCAA qualifiers and probably an All American or two.  

The entire SEC, ok, you have me there.  But a team?  A single team.  Yes, easily.  No problem at all. 

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#62 HurricaneWrestling

HurricaneWrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

SEC wrestling only existed from 1969-1970 through 1980-1981

By 1983 through 1985, LSU and Tennessee were competing in other conferences/regionals for NCAA qualification. 

I don't think they were affiliated with other conferences, like SEC member Mizzou being in the MAC today.  Rather they wrestled as independents (and in the NCAA regional qualifiers as you indicated) - at least that was the case with Tennessee.  Below's a link to their final season's yearbook page.  I noticed that they beat Iowa State by a point in their dual.  (The Cyclones finished 3rd at NCAA's that year and the Vols were 10th).

http://yearbook.lib....p?bid=46&pg=235

• JohnnyThompsonnum1 likes this

#63 HurricaneWrestling

HurricaneWrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

And here's an article titled "Under The Mat: Title IX, and the end of Auburn wrestling."  Good read about the job Tom Milkovich was doing building the program up in the years immediately before it was dropped.  He said he had a crowd of 6 - 7,000 at one dual.  And the article describes the biggest moment of the Milkovich era as an upset win over Oklahoma:

"In 1980, the University of Oklahoma was ranked No. 1, and we hosted them at the Memorial Coliseum back then, and we beat them.  The place was packed and everybody ran onto the mat and it was the pinnacle."  -Jamie Milkovich

https://www.thewarea...burn-wrestling/

• TobusRex likes this

#64 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

Why would we want teams from these sh#@&$$ states? They are drug dealers and rapists. Some, I assume are good people.

I think it was Gable who said "Why do all these kids from ****hole states keep wanting to come to wrestle at Iowa???".

Ray Gable, that is, from Des Moines.

• HurricaneWrestling and Plasmodium like this

#65 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,349 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

And here's an article titled "Under The Mat: Title IX, and the end of Auburn wrestling."  Good read about the job Tom Milkovich was doing building the program up in the years immediately before it was dropped.  He said he had a crowd of 6 - 7,000 at one dual.  And the article describes the biggest moment of the Milkovich era as an upset win over Oklahoma:

"In 1980, the University of Oklahoma was ranked No. 1, and we hosted them at the Memorial Coliseum back then, and we beat them.  The place was packed and everybody ran onto the mat and it was the pinnacle."  -Jamie Milkovich

https://www.thewarea...burn-wrestling/

Makes you really love Pat Dye doesn't it?  Hopefully a wrestling twitter will post something in honor of him, like they did Bear Bryant the other day.  That makes a lot of sense. 

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users