234 replies to this topic

#221 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

The PDs would beg to differ.

So let them beg. They are at Iowa where that is what they are getting used to at the NCAA tournament.

#222 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, holy sh*t is that one of the most out of touch comments I've ever seen on this forum. And that's saying something. I don't think anyone has been more universally bashed over the past three years than Heil.

Yeah, he does get bashed, but someone always came to his defense to explain to us why we were wrong.

Edited by TBar1977, 13 January 2018 - 12:30 PM.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#223 Aviator12

Aviator12

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

I mean he already has wins over Tanner Hall and Jacob Kasper. Let's pump the brakes on that hyperbole a bit. Could be battling a minor injury.

Thats what I'm asking. Yes he had those wins, but he also recently lost to NC States backup and another guy of no rating importance the same week, right?

I wouldn't be the first person to question where Nevills is headed, that's for sure. Many on Flo think he put on some extra size losing some quickness.

Just curious to what other PSU fans think relative to what's going on with him, other than automatically get defensive and make it any more than what it is...discussion.

#224 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

Thats what I'm asking. Yes he had those wins, but he also recently lost to NC States backup and another guy of no rating importance the same week, right?
I wouldn't be the first person to question where Nevills is headed, that's for sure. Many on Flo think he put on some extra size losing some quickness.
Just curious to what other PSU fans think relative to what's going on with him, other than automatically get defensive and make it any more than what it is...discussion.

It could be Nevils had a bad tournament and then immediately after ran into a monster in Coon who pretty much everyone outside of Snyder would also lose to. Even though he's a backup, Mike Boykin from NCState isnt exactly chopped liver. Lets see how he does against MSU before declaring that he's headed down some sort of losing path.

#225 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:25 PM

It could be Nevils had a bad tournament and then immediately after ran into a monster in Coon who pretty much everyone outside of Snyder would also lose to. Even though he's a backup, Mike Boykin from NCState isnt exactly chopped liver. Lets see how he does against MSU before declaring that he's headed down some sort of losing path.

Sadly, you aren't going to learn anything against MSU..........

#226 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

Sadly, you aren't going to learn anything against MSU..........

It is what it is.

#227 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

But Hall just conceded that last takedown because he knew he would win the match by the riding time point.

Yep, he did.  Incredibly smart to do so too, otherwise he would have kept scrambling. 

#228 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

But Hall just conceded that last takedown because he knew he would win the match by the riding time point.

Yep.  He bellied out because the match was won if he did.  He could have fought it off for a few seconds and won by 3 if that was the goal.  It wasn't his best match, but the 2 at the end is irrelevant.

#229 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

its a pretty complacent move....or you could call it a mature move. It depends on whether he wins NCAAs or not.

#230 HurricaneWrestling

HurricaneWrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:07 AM

Perfect example of how the transitive property of mathematics doesn't work in sports.

Depends on what you mean by "doesn't work."  Of course, it doesn't work 100% of the time, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have predictive value.  For example, John Urschel ran the numbers for the SEC West from 2007 - 2014 and found that "the transitive property has held a stunning 88.78 percent of the time.  Meaning that if you pick any three teams in the SEC West, where Team A beats Team B and Team B beats Team C, then nearly 9 out of 10 time Team A will beat team C."

It'd be interesting to see more studies from other sports.

https://www.theplaye...operty-is-real/

#231 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

Depends on what you mean by "doesn't work."  Of course, it doesn't work 100% of the time, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have predictive value.  For example, John Urschel ran the numbers for the SEC West from 2007 - 2014 and found that "the transitive property has held a stunning 88.78 percent of the time.  Meaning that if you pick any three teams in the SEC West, where Team A beats Team B and Team B beats Team C, then nearly 9 out of 10 time Team A will beat team C."

It'd be interesting to see more studies from other sports.

https://www.theplaye...operty-is-real/

You're right. I should've put "always," but I thought that would be stating the obvious.

#232 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

Interesting.  Pantaleo has been pinned 3 times in the past by Retherford.  What makes you think moving up a weight to challenge another NCAA champ and Hodge contender will work out better for him?  Honestly interested in the thought process.

Wasn't me that posted it but I'll give it a shot. When was the last time Alec was pinned by anybody? Might have something to do with it.

#233 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

Goes to show how hard it is to fill the 125 class. If you can make weight and not die from it, you have a spot somewhere.

Funny as s h i t!

#234 Lipdrag

Lipdrag
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Wasn't me that posted it but I'll give it a shot. When was the last time Alec was pinned by anybody? Might have something to do with it.

I don't know if he's been pinned in college.  He lost his last high school match - the Michigan D1 state championship - by pin to teammate Amine.

#235 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

Want to say Retherford pinned him when he was about to get a tech. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users