Sign in to follow this  
AMastrandrea

Jordan Oliver

What sucks is that the timing of WTTs effectively converts this from a 1 year ban into a 2 year ban.  2 year bans are reserved for much stiffer infractions than Oliver's, yet that is effectively what he is getting.  I'm optimistic that a last chance qualifier was going to be scheduled anyway, but this is all the more reason to make it so.

As an aside -- if you've read USADA press releases before, and how they typically have a highly accusatory and anti-athlete bent, you'll be struck at how this one seems downright sympathetic to Oliver.  They pretty clearly think it was a legit prescription medication that wasn't used for performance-enhancing purposes, and his screw-up was really about not getting it pre-approved.

Hope to see Zain and Jordan mix it up again.

that friggin article didn't explain anything. is it:

a) the USADA screws people over for no reason

b) Oliver was abusing some serious drugs

?????????

It says the drug was to treat a condition, so Im sure he had a doc prescription or doc recommendation, so probably not abusing.  Keep in mind that a lot of meds (prescribed and over the counter) used to treat allergies, depression/anxiety, diabetes, the common cold, high blood pressure, and even over the counter pain meds like ibuprofen can cause a positive test for amphetamines.  So, there are a ton of ways to get a hit.

Ok — if I’m a high level athlete, world level, Olympic hopeful, I am not taking any medicine / drug without very clear approval, including that the medicine / drug is on a verified list as being ok.

Am I making a bad assumption? Do these guys not have people they can go to? Is there not a verified list of ok medications / drugs?

I don’t get how someone can screw this up if my assumptions are correct.

It’s not that easy. More like unfortunate oversight than blatant disregard for anything.

There was a Chinese Olympic gymnast, some very young teenaged girl, who got popped for something in Advil or some seemingly innocuous OTC drug. Went from gold to disqualified and banned. Tragic.

Even the slightest oversight could get you. The only way to avoid this is to go to a doctor with literally everything you take or apply, without fail, that is not a whole food or drink. Most amateur athletes won’t do that.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

He need to get his homies to delay the qualifier. Like kill the electric in the place for a couple days or defect somewhere else.

Haha, what's the wrestling equivalent of pulling the fire alarm during finals in college? Maybe JO could park some food trucks and bake a batch of cookies in the lobby of the venue so everyone misses weight, lol. 

When the news of JO's infraction first emerged during trials last year, I seem to remember JO saying that it was no big deal, that he'll be cleared to compete. The article says that he applied for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (probably an Emergency TUE, actually) for continued use of the substance. I guess the questions is, what's the status of JO's exemption application (or has it been denied?) and whether a TUE would retroactively nullify the 365 day penalty for the infraction. Anyone know how it works?

If they don't let him compete in WTTs, I am done with USAW and all their BS.  They make it so hard to be a fan in the first place.  Now if they are going to black ball and play favorites, count me and my support out,

I'll join the blind sheep in the USA who think the NCAA Championships are the pinnacle of the sport.  I will join the people who think folkstyle is entertaining and think Carl and his faith are what this sport is all about (or at least I will mock them all). 

If they don't let him compete in WTTs, I am done with USAW and all their BS. They make it so hard to be a fan in the first place. Now if they are going to black ball and play favorites, count me and my support out,

I'll join the blind sheep in the USA who think the NCAA Championships are the pinnacle of the sport. I will join the people who think folkstyle is entertaining and think Carl and his faith are what this sport is all about (or at least I will mock them all).

Why should they change the dates for one athlete? Should they do the same for injuries?

So knowing full well they weren’t planning on doing either of those things they should change it for one wrestler at one weight class who has never made a world or Olympic team?

He did "make" a world team and looked great doing it last year. It's not that unreasonable if the goal is to send our best guy to worlds. JO might be that guy.

WTF! Stop saying he's being suspended for 2 years. He's not, he's being suspended for one year. Maybe because of the dates he's having to miss two world team trials but he's being suspended for one year. Having taken everything under the sun when I competed, I can promise you this. He knew exactly what he was doing and if it wasn't helping in some capacity such as strength, conditioning or weight cut, he wouldn't have taken it.

I lack the first hand experience but the idea that these guys will simply pop meds with no thought to drug testing seems ludicrous on its face. If they are doing that, I feel no pity. Stupidity doesn’t deserve it.

WTF! Stop saying he's being suspended for 2 years. He's not, he's being suspended for one year. Maybe because of the dates he's having to miss two world team trials but he's being suspended for one year. 

While this is literally accurate, the effective ban is two years for someone who doesn't care about anything other than world medals. JO isn't trying to win random tournaments as a career goal. He's past that phase and has already done that. If he can't have the chance to make two consecutive world teams, it might as well be a 2-year ban.

He did "make" a world team and looked great doing it last year. It's not that unreasonable if the goal is to send our best guy to worlds. JO might be that guy.

No he didn't. He won the US Open and had a bye into WTT finals. (before everything went down).

Edited by Angry_Fish

Change what date?  Who suggested anything about changing a date?

Keep up.

At this time he is suspended for the first day of the final qualifying event for WTT. For him to wrestle at WTT they would have to change the date of the last qualifying event to be outside his suspension window. They could do that by pushing the US Open back a week or by adding an additional qualifier they were not planning on having. Either way - for Oliver to be eligible for WTT the date of the last qualifying event will need to change.

At this time he is suspended for the first day of the final qualifying event for WTT. For him to wrestle at WTT they would have to change the date of the last qualifying event to be outside his suspension window. They could do that by pushing the US Open back a week or by adding an additional qualifier they were not planning on having. Either way - for Oliver to be eligible for WTT the date of the last qualifying event will need to change.

You are the only person who suggested they change the date of the US Open.  There is no chance that happens.

If they had a last chance qualifier in May, as they have for many years, that would not be for JO in particular -- although he would clearly benefit.

And the other way he could be there is if they implemented an optional wildcard entry at each weight.  This would not be unprecedented. 

In neither of those options is there a date changing for an existing event.