• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

Something like psudeophedrine (sp) will give a help in work outs. Basically caffeine with a kick. It helps move along a work out but doesn't help with recovery or anything. Raises the BP some but it can actually help a work out. Doesn't kill your appetite like real "speed".  I am pretty sure it is banned. Probably something like that. Kind of dumb to take it though. It doesn't help that much. 

• Coach_J and hammerlockthree like this

#22 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

If USA wrestling is genuinely committed to ensuring the best wrestlers are on the WT, they will find a way for JO to be at WTTs.

It is within their prerogative to do so.

If they don’t invite him, they will lose a lot of credibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Yeah, by far, Flo is the biggest problem in the sport."   --- Lurker

#23 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

The sample came up very low for the amphetamine, which backed up his story of taking a med 5 days before. It was not for performance, simply because there was very little of the substance left in him. 

I can believe that. Low dosages do literally nothing athletically worthwhile. 

#24 Buckxell

Buckxell

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

I speculate he was using his prescribed adderall to help with the weight cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

Something like psudeophedrine (sp) will give a help in work outs. Basically caffeine with a kick. It helps move along a work out but doesn't help with recovery or anything. Raises the BP some but it can actually help a work out. Doesn't kill your appetite like real "speed".  I am pretty sure it is banned. Probably something like that. Kind of dumb to take it though. It doesn't help that much. 

That stuff is in cough and cold medicine or decongestant, which is why you need to show ID at the drugstore now because of people doing dumb stuff with that.  He might have just had a cold or bad allergies or something.  If I had to get USADA drug tested a couple weeks ago I'd probably have failed because I was doped up on all kinds of cold and cough medicine.  You really think I'm paying attention to what's in it?  As long as it relieves symptoms and is over the counter then I'm gonna take it.  But something that could get you popped for a doping violating is in that stuff.  There's 30mg of pseudoephedrine in each of the tablets in the nasal decongestant I took.  Take 2 of those every 4 to 6 hours and don't take more than 8 per day, I could see that happening.  

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#26 BAC

BAC

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:00 AM

What sucks is that the timing of WTTs effectively converts this from a 1 year ban into a 2 year ban.  2 year bans are reserved for much stiffer infractions than Oliver's, yet that is effectively what he is getting.  I'm optimistic that a last chance qualifier was going to be scheduled anyway, but this is all the more reason to make it so.

As an aside -- if you've read USADA press releases before, and how they typically have a highly accusatory and anti-athlete bent, you'll be struck at how this one seems downright sympathetic to Oliver.  They pretty clearly think it was a legit prescription medication that wasn't used for performance-enhancing purposes, and his screw-up was really about not getting it pre-approved.

Hope to see Zain and Jordan mix it up again.

#27 Jasonmitchell32

Jasonmitchell32

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:09 AM

that friggin article didn't explain anything. is it:

a) the USADA screws people over for no reason

b) Oliver was abusing some serious drugs

?????????

It says the drug was to treat a condition, so Im sure he had a doc prescription or doc recommendation, so probably not abusing.  Keep in mind that a lot of meds (prescribed and over the counter) used to treat allergies, depression/anxiety, diabetes, the common cold, high blood pressure, and even over the counter pain meds like ibuprofen can cause a positive test for amphetamines.  So, there are a ton of ways to get a hit.

#28 lonewolf

lonewolf

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:20 AM

He need to get his homies to delay the qualifier. Like kill the electric in the place for a couple days or defect somewhere else.

#29 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:43 AM

Ok — if I’m a high level athlete, world level, Olympic hopeful, I am not taking any medicine / drug without very clear approval, including that the medicine / drug is on a verified list as being ok.

Am I making a bad assumption? Do these guys not have people they can go to? Is there not a verified list of ok medications / drugs?

I don’t get how someone can screw this up if my assumptions are correct.
  • Coach_J likes this

#30 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:48 AM

Not everyone is as anal as you. That’s probably the unfortunate reality in this case. You get sick, you take medicine without even thinking about it ... 2-year ban.

#31 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:55 AM

Sounds like lazy stupidity with a blatant disregard for all the anti-doping discussion and activity going on.
  • Coach_J and cjc007 like this

#32 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:01 AM

It’s not that easy. More like unfortunate oversight than blatant disregard for anything.

There was a Chinese Olympic gymnast, some very young teenaged girl, who got popped for something in Advil or some seemingly innocuous OTC drug. Went from gold to disqualified and banned. Tragic.

Even the slightest oversight could get you. The only way to avoid this is to go to a doctor with literally everything you take or apply, without fail, that is not a whole food or drink. Most amateur athletes won’t do that.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 11 January 2018 - 06:02 AM.

#33 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:24 AM

He need to get his homies to delay the qualifier. Like kill the electric in the place for a couple days or defect somewhere else.

Haha, what's the wrestling equivalent of pulling the fire alarm during finals in college? Maybe JO could park some food trucks and bake a batch of cookies in the lobby of the venue so everyone misses weight, lol. 

#34 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

When the news of JO's infraction first emerged during trials last year, I seem to remember JO saying that it was no big deal, that he'll be cleared to compete. The article says that he applied for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (probably an Emergency TUE, actually) for continued use of the substance. I guess the questions is, what's the status of JO's exemption application (or has it been denied?) and whether a TUE would retroactively nullify the 365 day penalty for the infraction. Anyone know how it works?

#35 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

If they don't let him compete in WTTs, I am done with USAW and all their BS.  They make it so hard to be a fan in the first place.  Now if they are going to black ball and play favorites, count me and my support out,

I'll join the blind sheep in the USA who think the NCAA Championships are the pinnacle of the sport.  I will join the people who think folkstyle is entertaining and think Carl and his faith are what this sport is all about (or at least I will mock them all). 

• cjc007 likes this

#36 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

If they don't let him compete in WTTs, I am done with USAW and all their BS. They make it so hard to be a fan in the first place. Now if they are going to black ball and play favorites, count me and my support out,

I'll join the blind sheep in the USA who think the NCAA Championships are the pinnacle of the sport. I will join the people who think folkstyle is entertaining and think Carl and his faith are what this sport is all about (or at least I will mock them all).

Why should they change the dates for one athlete? Should they do the same for injuries?

#37 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

Not really changing the dates as much as it is adding in a last chance qualifier before trials, like they've done in the past.

#38 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

Not really changing the dates as much as it is adding in a last chance qualifier before trials, like they've done in the past.

Or adding an optional wild card entry to WTT at each weight.

• de4856 likes this

#39 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:11 AM

So knowing full well they weren’t planning on doing either of those things they should change it for one wrestler at one weight class who has never made a world or Olympic team?

#40 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:51 AM

So knowing full well they weren’t planning on doing either of those things they should change it for one wrestler at one weight class who has never made a world or Olympic team?

He did "make" a world team and looked great doing it last year. It's not that unreasonable if the goal is to send our best guy to worlds. JO might be that guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users