Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

Cruz goes 34-0...Returning NCAA Champ

He is not even mentioned in the seeding conversations now that Lee and Nato are wrestling. I’m sure no D1 coaches are sleeping, but Lizak is not exactly the talk of the town.

just because no one wants to talk about him doesn't mean they forgot. 

Yeah t-shirts isn't a thing.

125 is so loaded it wouldn't completely shock me if one of the big four (Suriano, Lee, Nato, Cruz) didn't AA. Also an unlikely unseeded guy could suddenly get hot and pull off a Zeke Moisey and AA out of nowhere.

Replace "Lee" with "Lizak" and you'll probably have it about right, although I'd quibble on NATO's worthiness at this point. Maybe when he gets some matches under his belt.

125 is so loaded it wouldn't completely shock me if one of the big four (Suriano, Lee, Nato, Cruz) didn't AA. Also an unlikely unseeded guy could suddenly get hot and pull off a Zeke Moisey and AA out of nowhere.

I'm not sure 125 is "loaded" per se, but rather, it has a high degree of parity.  

The end result is the same though, and your statement is still true, whereby one (or more) of the "Big 4" may not even AA.  I'll play this out a bit further:

* Most likely to AA = NaTo.  His track record, against "hammers" just as tough, is just as good.  1,3,3... history dictates that he AA's... As a Top 3/4 being the most likely outcome.

* Suriano = All indications are that he "should" AA... in his one year, his single loss to Gilman shows where he stack-ranked.  However, this is a new year, and he still hasn't shown what I would call "separation".  Those at the tippity top show separation. Because of this... he is more likely than NaTo to not AA.

* Cruz = Some may call last year a fluke.  That result makes me nervous.  There is again a separation issue.  Combine that with the similar argument as Suriano's, and then are effectively equal in their likelihood's of placement, or lack thereof.

* Lee = Gotta love the true freshman... right?  Seriously though.  All indications, to-date, are suggesting that he will have the most difficult time (in the world of internet arguments) AA'ing.  His loss to Bresser was controversial, but we still have yet to see him against any other elites at the weight.  Is he "elite"?  Of course.  Has he risen to the level of the "Top 4"?  I'm having a hard time believing it on 1/12/2018 at 12:25pm MT.  If Lee beats NaTo in their upcoming match... different story, and my entire post should be deleted and re-written.  :-)

I'm not sure 125 is "loaded" per se, but rather, it has a high degree of parity.

Loaded, no other way to say it. Two NCAA champs, one returning, one getting 3rd at NCAAs a weight up just last year, a returning NCAA finalist, and none of them are ranked where they placed last year. There are no returning 125 AAs ranked at or above where they placed last year at a weight that produced a senior world silver medalist from a guy who didn’t even make the finals. I’m not even including Suriano and Lee, total outliers for being non-AAs, in that argument. Edited by wrestlingnerd

Fausz

... has not had a 2nd day weigh-in yet this year (nor will he prior to NCAAs). In fact, Feb 16 & 18 will be his ONLY oppty to have a Fri-Sun weigh-in this season. Let’s see what he looks like for the Friday morning QFs on a 1-hr turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

... has not had a 2nd day weigh-in yet this year (nor will he prior to NCAAs). In fact, Feb 16 & 18 will be his ONLY oppty to have a Fri-Sun weigh-in this season. Let’s see what he looks like for the Friday morning QFs on a 1-hr turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just thinking about seeds. Yeah, dude's huge. Wins over Piccinini and LaMont, though.

Loaded, no other way to say it. Two NCAA champs, one returning, one getting 3rd at NCAAs a weight up just last year, a returning NCAA finalist, and none of them are ranked where they placed last year. There are no returning 125 AAs ranked at or above where they placed last year at a weight that produced a senior world silver medalist from a guy who didn’t even make the finals. I’m not even including Suriano and Lee, total outliers for being non-AAs, in that argument.

Exactly. If 125 isn't a loaded weight class I don't know what is...