Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

Carson Kuhn to PSU

Yes, he served his mission in Chile I think.

How long was his mission? Let's say he red shirted + got a medical hardship waiver + 3 seasons of eligibility used, + 2 years of missions = 7 years. The article says he signed with Boise State in 2009 + 7 = 2016...?

Ok I found he did a year at the OTC before college..

Here's his Boise State profile page...

http://www.broncosports.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/carson_kuhn_850077.html

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Never heard of him. The article doesn't mention anything great about his college career either. He was 2-0 one year then got hurt, then went 5-3 the next year. Then he went on a "2 year mission" during which Boise State canceled their program.

Edited by TobusRex

I think

Never heard of him. The article doesn't mention anything great about his college career either. He was 2-0 one year then got hurt, then went 5-3 the next year. Then he went on a "2 year mission" during which Boise State canceled their program.

Judging by his Boise State Profile page, he graduated high school in 2010, did a year at the OTC, then a 2 year mission, then a red shirt in 2014, then competed/injured 2015,2016,2017.

How is 2 years more NOT an advantage, simpleton?

I’m not LDS, but to think it’s an advantage would be false. Tanner Hall did his mission and there was little time to do anything wrestling related. Two years away from any practice and any competition might keep you fresh, but it also makes you rusty. There are tons of wrestlers who have taken their LDS mission ... how many of them were All-Americans? Ain’t that many. Matt Brown, Aaron Holker, Ben Kjar, Tanner Hall ... those are the only four I can think of off the top of my head. If it were an advantage, Utah Valley should be a lot better than they are ...

I’m not LDS, but to think it’s an advantage would be false. Tanner Hall did his mission and there was little time to do anything wrestling related. Two years away from any practice and any competition might keep you fresh, but it also makes you rusty. There are tons of wrestlers who have taken their LDS mission ... how many of them were All-Americans? Ain’t that many. Matt Brown, Aaron Holker, Ben Kjar, Tanner Hall ... those are the only four I can think of off the top of my head. If it were an advantage, Utah Valley should be a lot better than they are ...

I disagree. If you don't think that 2 years more physical and mental maturity matter on the mat, then I think you are deluding yourself. Do you think there was much difference between, say, Larry Owings his FR year in college and his JR year in college? Two years can mean a lot. Essentially the "mormon redshirt" is a big unfair advantage....to get 2 years "mission" AND a redshirt?  It's conceivable that a guy could START his RS FR year at the age of 22, maybe even older. That's a huge advantage, sorry to tell you.

Sure, you could say their wrestling is rusty as hell after no competition for a couple years, and you'd have a point. But all it takes to knock the rust off are a few matches, then they are left with only the advantages of their 2 year mission.