Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

Carson Kuhn to PSU

2 year mission...valid argument in saying an unfair advantage....also valid point in that it is 2 years of no training at all

Been my experience following a lot of these kids out west, the two year mission is a killer for their wrestling careers. They literally get - as you said - zero wrestling in. Lot of miles on bikes, or walking, is usually the extent of their work outs. Then the expectation is to get married and start having babies. Wrestling goes from being on the front burner to barely registering. 

I don't see Teasdale doing much at that level. I've seen him for years, he has peaked. He's limited athletically,

RBY will be a much better college wrestler.

Exactly how I feel. I said the same thing when he decommitted from Iowa and RBY was rumored to be interested in Iowa. I thought it was a fortunate swap for Iowa but it never happened.

I don't see Teasdale doing much at that level. I've seen him for years, he has peaked. He's limited athletically,

RBY will be a much better college wrestler.

Exactly how I feel. I said the same thing when he decommitted from Iowa and RBY was rumored to be interested in Iowa. I thought it was a fortunate swap for Iowa but it never happened.

Will Teasdale become the next Gulibon?

I’m not LDS, but to think it’s an advantage would be false. Tanner Hall did his mission and there was little time to do anything wrestling related. Two years away from any practice and any competition might keep you fresh, but it also makes you rusty. There are tons of wrestlers who have taken their LDS mission ... how many of them were All-Americans? Ain’t that many. Matt Brown, Aaron Holker, Ben Kjar, Tanner Hall ... those are the only four I can think of off the top of my head. If it were an advantage, Utah Valley should be a lot better than they are ...

Carl needs to start sending these guys to Dagestan for their missions. Spread the good word and get some mat time.

If someone would take two years off from wrestling in high school and come back as a 20 year old vs 18 and younger he may have a slight advantage because of physical maturity. But you are talking about 25 vs. 23 here. Both would be fully mature young men in their prime. The two years off from wrestling training has to be a big disadvantage here. Kudos to those who have been able to do that and still find success

Teasdale's problems are 2-fold. 1. Simply put, he's not the brightest star in the galaxy and 2. he's stubborn. He goes to the same move over and over even when it's not working. I don't know if it's a lack of wrestling smarts or if he's just not particularly bright but the Bartlett match was a prime example. It could be as simple as he's just always been that much better than everyone he wrestles in HS and didn't need to diversify his attack. Or it could be that he just can't change gears when something doesn't work. One is seriously problematic. One can be fixed. We'll see which it is soon enough. 

Teasdale's problems are 2-fold. 1. Simply put, he's not the brightest star in the galaxy and 2. he's stubborn. He goes to the same move over and over even when it's not working. I don't know if it's a lack of wrestling smarts or if he's just not particularly bright but the Bartlett match was a prime example. It could be as simple as he's just always been that much better than everyone he wrestles in HS and didn't need to diversify his attack. Or it could be that he just can't change gears when something doesn't work. One is seriously problematic. One can be fixed. We'll see which it is soon enough.

He’s lost once during his high school career and if you watched the match he had 2 at the end that they didn’t call.

Forgive me if I’m not too concerned about Gavin Teasadale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

He’s lost once during his high school career and if you watched the match he had 2 at the end that they didn’t call.

Forgive me if I’m not too concerned about Gavin Teasadale

I did watch the match and I do agree that he had both legs for a split second. But he's also lost in other showcase events and he had the same problems. When plan A doesn't work, he won't switch gears. 

I did watch the match and I do agree that he had both legs for a split second. But he's also lost in other showcase events and he had the same problems. When plan A doesn't work, he won't switch gears.

I’ll take a guy that can get to anyone’s legs any day at any level. If he wasn’t getting to guys legs I’d be concerned

I’ll take a guy that can get to anyone’s legs any day at any level. If he wasn’t getting to guys legs I’d be concerned

I agree that finishing is his issue. 

Glory has passed him. There are a few lightweights in NJ right now with better upside than GT.

We will see in a few years who is right.

You’re a Rutgers fan correct? RU is my second favorite team. Do yourself a favor and learn something.

You WANT kids that are offensive and can get to the offense. Stop worrying about who passed who in your head.

You want some RU guys that go get it? Find the recruits that can get to their offense against anyone. Even if their defense or bottom game is not up to snuff right now.

As an RU fan, you want kids like Teasdale, Desanto, etc. Kids that can get to the legs have bigger upside than those that can’t.

Kids with good offense have more upside. Sure. But kids who aren’t old for their grade and extremely exposed to the absolute best coaching and competition possible for their age also have more upside.

From your examples, I’d be much more excited about Austin Desanto’s upside than Gavin Teasdale’s. He’s less of a finished product.

From your examples, I’d be much more excited about Austin Desanto’s upside than Gavin Teasdale’s. He’s less of a finished product.

The difference between you and me is I enjoy kids with offense. I don’t care if they’re from Iowa, tOSU, RU, Drexel, Appalachian State.

I’m not here to put kids down because of their age and decisions made by parents that will do what they can for their kids. Basically in one sentence you knocked Teasadale’s parents for keeping him back and finding great coaches. Give me a break.

You could have just stated your opinion that You liked Desantos upside rather than trying to tear someone else down

So Desanto has no offense? His attack rate makes Teasdale look like a D1 heavyweight. What are you taking about?

I only chimed in to agree with NJWC’s assessment. I never said I liked guys with no offense, which has nothing to do with my posts on this thread.

My views on Teasdale’s college prospects have nothing to do with offense....

TobusRex, on 09 Jan 2018 - 10:44 PM, said:snapback.png

It's time to end "Mormon redshirts". Big unfair advantage.

Then how come Matt Brown is the only one who has pulled it off?

Two years as a recruiter for a religious Cult is not good for athletes. Especially for Wrestlers.

Merlin Olson, mormon and NFL Hall of Fame football player routinely advised top HS football players to skip the mission completely and play football in college. Reason being that the two years away really hurt their football career. Few would come back to be as good or better than before. Know three HS All American FB players he told this to. Two went on the two year missions, one did not. The two who went came home and never played. The one who did not go played D1 ball and was drafted by and NFL team. Played a few years, got injured and retired.

Two years off working sport specific exercises, weights and such is a killer. Brown is the first returned mormon missionary to become a National Champion at this level. Maybe some have done it at lower levels - I'm sure someone can tell us who and when if it has happened.

Two years away gives time to grow and mature but that time is not in the "real world". Many in foreign missions pick up infections, parasites and diseases that end up poorly treated and linger for years. Check with Cole Sanderson - Cael's older brother who went to Russia. He came home due to health problems for this reason.

If they want to go and push religion, fine. But the reality is that it hurts their wrestling in the long run.