Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

Carson Kuhn to PSU

Kurt Mchenry Just converted to mormonism.

I’ve been friends w his mother from when she was a Frosh in HS. Don’t think she’d be happy w that comment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This just continues the trend for "Trophy Contending Teams".

Fill "weak" spots in your lineup with transfers from weaker, non-Trophy contending Programs to increase NCAA scoring.

In all likelihood, the 2018 "Trophy Teams" will come from the following Teams.  Most of whom will benefit from these types of additions.    

Penn St. :        Kuhn (Boise St,) & Keener (from CMU)

Ohio St. :         McKenna (Stanford) & Campbell (Pitt)

Iowa :               None (now that the Downey situation appears to have finally played out)

Michigan:         Micic (Northwestern) & Beazley (Old Dominion)

N.C. St. :          None  

Missouri :         Leeth (Duke) & Flynn (West Virginia)  

Oklahoma St.: Martinez (Boise St.) & White (Nebraska)

I understand that all of these situations are different and somewhat unique.  Just wondering if this is a positive trend for the landscape of D1 Wrestling ?  

This just continues the trend for "Trophy Contending Teams".

Fill "weak" spots in your lineup with transfers from weaker, non-Trophy contending Programs to increase NCAA scoring.

In all likelihood, the 2018 "Trophy Teams" will come from the following Teams.  Most of whom will benefit from these types of additions.    

Penn St. :        Kuhn (Boise St,) & Keener (from CMU)

Ohio St. :         McKenna (Stanford) & Campbell (Pitt)

Iowa :               None (now that the Downey situation appears to have finally played out)

Michigan:         Micic (Northwestern) & Beazley (Old Dominion)

N.C. St. :          None  

Missouri :         Leeth (Duke) & Flynn (West Virginia)  

Oklahoma St.: Martinez (Boise St.) & White (Nebraska)

I understand that all of these situations are different and somewhat unique.  Just wondering if this is a positive trend for the landscape of D1 Wrestling ?  

To be completely fair to OSU: White is a much, much better fit at OSU than he was a NU. I have no idea why he didn't go to OSU anyway, maybe OSU didn't offer at the time. Plus Geo has never impressed me, I don't think he'll AA or even R12, despite making AA a couple years ago.

Out of all the transfers the best, by a country mile, was Derek White to OSU.

Instead of getting teched/pinned

He also scored 3 legit takedowns when he was supposed to score zero.

I wrote him off. Impressive performance.

Can’t tell if he is really that good, if NATO underestimated him, if the environment made the difference or some combination of those.

We will find out soon

Get his conditioning up And he will make some noise at B1G's and NCAAs!!!!

You can't really improve much on gas tank at this point in the season. It is what it is. With Kuhn, it might be the cutting though.

I think guys like NaTo and Lizak have struggled at times during the dual season because of the cut but think it will be a much different story come tournament time when their seedlings will allow a little time to rehydrate and eat before going out against tough competition.

Instead of getting teched/pinned

He also scored 3 legit takedowns when he was supposed to score zero.

Yep, he saved 2 team points IMO. Came out firing. Good way to start a big dual at home - created some energy that would not have been there. He can improve his gas tank at this point in the season. He has a month until B1G - that's plenty of time to work on some things - get his cardio up - maybe qualify for the NCAA and score a point or two - which could be a huge factor. Kuhn was a Jr. National Champ if I remember correctly. 

A very big unexpected positive from the 125 pound weight class.    I'm pretty excited about Kuhn's likely improvement between now and the tournament (conditioning mostly but also his timing and mat feel).   He looked great last night in a bout the team was likely to surrender 6 points were it not for his performance.      With Cassart at 197 and Lee at 141 both having been wrestling well and trending up, I still view Penn State as the favorite, and that's despite the injury to Nolf.  

Kuhn will have the buffalo 125 for the last dual of the PSU season, think he is ranked like l30s in the coaches rankings and won a few matches at ncaa last year, so that will show if he is ncaa qualifier level.

You can't really improve much on gas tank at this point in the season. It is what it is. With Kuhn, it might be the cutting though.

It was his first match in 2 years, of course he can improve his conditioning in 4 weeks.   Especially considering the fact that he's married with a kid and likely was not training that intensely, I bet he can improve his gas tank pretty quickly.  Now, will he do much at NCAA's if he even makes it, who knows.

Edited by 1032004

It was his first match in 2 years, of course he can improve his conditioning in 4 weeks. Especially considering the fact that he's married with a kid and likely was not training that intensely, I bet he can improve his gas tank pretty quickly. Now, will he do much at NCAA's if he even makes it, who knows.

Kuhn had been training since last summer when Cael contacted him and set the transfer in motion. I know that's not the same as being in the PSU wrestling room, but he wasn't exactly starting from zero either. His conditioning may improve over the next 25 days or so but that's not much time and I think the gains will probably be marginal relative to where he needs to be.

This is all based on what we saw of his gas tank in just one match though, so grain of salt and all that. I mostly think Kuhn will be a fine contributor if he can stay injury-free and manage his weight.

Kuhn's performance in this dual was impressive, and ultimately huge in the team win. That said, I'm not reading too much into it as far as predicting that he'll be a factor at B1G or qualify for NCAAs. Need more data.   

Edited by KTG119

Seems like there are times when the gas tank goes empty due to the largeness of an event. First match with the place on fire and maybe just to hyped. Of course his next match is in the Jordan Center with lights and smoke etc against Spencer Lee of Iowa.

He might not be able to keep his adrenaline under control for that one either.