• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#41 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:07 AM

wonder how much slush money he got to repay his time at BSU....

#42 LLB

LLB
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

This limits the damage, an older kid with some experience who was at OTC. SlayBaugh was their only other option and obviously he’s not ready.

It sucks we don’t have Suriano and this doesn’t make up for it but it at least it’s an answer.

#43 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

Seems like he's been hampered with injuries for pretty much his entire college wrestling career, running up until last preseason. Has there been any word on what the injury/injuries were and if he's good to go now?

#44 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

With respect to LDS missions, I'm shocked when guys can serve those and come back motivated for d1 wrestling.

#45 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:11 AM

I can't wait for a busy off-season to see who transfers to the big 4 to keep them in contention for an NCAA title. TOSU doesn't have to have a rebuild year, they could just reload.

They should just do what is done on youth forums for big off-season dual events.

"Fill in the blank top 4 teams....we are fielding a very competitive team for the 2018-19 NCAA tournament but are in need for a fill in the weights...both semester enrollment isn't necessary, you don't even have to wrestle all matches".

"Email blank coach.edu to secure your spot".

Who needs to recruit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#46 LLB

LLB
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

I can't wait for a busy off-season to see who transfers to the big 4 to keep them in contention for an NCAA title. TOSU doesn't have to have a rebuild year, they could just reload.

They should just do what is done on youth forums for big off-season dual events.

"Fill in the blank top 4 teams....we are fielding a very competitive team for the 2018-19 NCAA tournament but are in need for a fill in the weights...both semester enrollment isn't necessary, you don't even have to wrestle all matches".

"Email blank coach.edu to secure your spot".

Who needs to recruit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not trying to start an argument, maybe I’m not getting what you’re saying but TOSU loses 3 big hammers next year. McKenna done too?

PSU loses Keener and ZR plus now Kuhn.

I know TOSU has recruited well but I’m pretty comfortable with what PSU has next season.

#47 Greatdane67

Greatdane67

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

Thought they were looking at Keith Nix for this spot.

#48 tabenn

tabenn

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

Not trying to start an argument, maybe I’m not getting what you’re saying but TOSU loses 3 big hammers next year. McKenna done too?

PSU loses Keener and ZR plus now Kuhn.

I know TOSU has recruited well but I’m pretty comfortable with what PSU has next season.

next year is a long way away--this time last year I felt very comfortable with what PSU had this year--but then NS changed everything.. just saying 

#49 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

next year is a long way away--this time last year I felt very comfortable with what PSU had this year--but then NS changed everything.. just saying 

They have RBY and Teasdale coming in to cover Keener and 125. Lee, Berge, or Verkleeren can cover 149. Likely Lee at 141 and Berge at 149. The rest stands pat. I have no issue with that line up although I would rather see the freshman get a RS year, Teasdale in particular. 

#50 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

They have RBY and Teasdale coming in to cover Keener and 125. Lee, Berge, or Verkleeren can cover 149. Likely Lee at 141 and Berge at 149. The rest stands pat. I have no issue with that line up although I would rather see the freshman get a RS year, Teasdale in particular. 

Dont forget Brody Teske

• PSUMike likes this

#51 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

Dont forget Brody Teske

I figured he'd immediately RS as I think Teasdale and RBY are more "college-ready" at this stage. 

#52 NYWRESTLER94

NYWRESTLER94

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

Can RBY or Teasdale make 125 next year?

#53 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

2 year mission...valid argument in saying an unfair advantage....also valid point in that it is 2 years of no training at all

Been my experience following a lot of these kids out west, the two year mission is a killer for their wrestling careers. They literally get - as you said - zero wrestling in. Lot of miles on bikes, or walking, is usually the extent of their work outs. Then the expectation is to get married and start having babies. Wrestling goes from being on the front burner to barely registering. 

#54 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

I don't see Teasdale doing much at that level. I've seen him for years, he has peaked. He's limited athletically,
RBY will be a much better college wrestler.

#55 HurricaneWrestling

HurricaneWrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

This tells me Carl is nervous.

• denger and LLB like this

#56 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

I don't see Teasdale doing much at that level. I've seen him for years, he has peaked. He's limited athletically,

Exactly how I feel. I said the same thing when he decommitted from Iowa and RBY was rumored to be interested in Iowa. I thought it was a fortunate swap for Iowa but it never happened.

#57 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

Exactly how I feel. I said the same thing when he decommitted from Iowa and RBY was rumored to be interested in Iowa. I thought it was a fortunate swap for Iowa but it never happened.

Will Teasdale become the next Gulibon?

#58 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

I’m not LDS, but to think it’s an advantage would be false. Tanner Hall did his mission and there was little time to do anything wrestling related. Two years away from any practice and any competition might keep you fresh, but it also makes you rusty. There are tons of wrestlers who have taken their LDS mission ... how many of them were All-Americans? Ain’t that many. Matt Brown, Aaron Holker, Ben Kjar, Tanner Hall ... those are the only four I can think of off the top of my head. If it were an advantage, Utah Valley should be a lot better than they are ...

Carl needs to start sending these guys to Dagestan for their missions. Spread the good word and get some mat time.

#59 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

Yeah muslims love mormon missionaries

#60 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

If someone would take two years off from wrestling in high school and come back as a 20 year old vs 18 and younger he may have a slight advantage because of physical maturity. But you are talking about 25 vs. 23 here. Both would be fully mature young men in their prime. The two years off from wrestling training has to be a big disadvantage here. Kudos to those who have been able to do that and still find success
  • PSUMike likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users