• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:23 AM

The best high school coaches are great at selling wrestling in their communities. I’ve know guys that were technically weak but had a passion for promoting the sport.

College is the same. The best programs are led by the best recruiters. Of course, available scholarship money is also significant.

#2 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

Excellent coaches hang out where there is a lot of money.

"This space for rent"

#3 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:46 AM

The best high school coaches are great at selling wrestling in their communities. I’ve know guys that were technically weak but had a passion for promoting the sport.

College is the same. The best programs are led by the best recruiters. Of course, available scholarship money is also significant.

Geographics, redshirting options, quality RTC guys in the room, being in a good conference, sometimes easier academics and majors play a part, and good facilities don't hurt either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#4 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:59 AM

I've been lucky enough to hang around some great coaches. There is some truth to this. I've seen a coach take a program from average to an area power house with a full gym of fans by aligning with people in the community who had money. He was a great networker. A couple of other things that I have noticed that good coaches at the high school level did compared to the ones who did not have success:

1. Have a consistent plan to improve the athletes. Practices were organized and consistent. Kids learned how to practice correctly.

2. Create a family atmosphere. No athlete was more important than another. Great coaches coach their jv, just as hard as their studs and find matches for everyone.

3. Find tough competition and are not afraid to get losses on the record.
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#5 JBluegill133

JBluegill133

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:19 AM

I think it is also necessary for a high school coach to get in and make a presence with the youth wrestlers as well.  A strong feeder program for the high school is important.  

• smcfee likes this
"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

#6 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:58 AM

I think it is also necessary for a high school coach to get in and make a presence with the youth wrestlers as well.  A strong feeder program for the high school is important.  

This is HUGE!  Having kids come in with 2 or more years of experience before they reach High School is paramount to success.  Also, having that youth program that you are close enough to know for certain that the basics have been instilled correctly is a big deal.

It is sort of like just having to color inside the lines vs having to draw the picture before you color it in.

#7 GranbyTroll

GranbyTroll

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:33 AM

In California, any prior contact between a high school coach and a pre-enrolled athlete is technically a recruiting violation. It's pretty broadly ignored, but the fact that it's on the books at all is a symptom of why CA can never quite catch the traditional power states. 

Iowa fans are still arrogant; it's just that their team isn't as good.

#8 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:47 AM

This is HUGE!  Having kids come in with 2 or more years of experience before they reach High School is paramount to success.  Also, having that youth program that you are close enough to know for certain that the basics have been instilled correctly is a big deal.

It is sort of like just having to color inside the lines vs having to draw the picture before you color it in.

Very true. Youth programs are important. However, I think making sure your Jr High coach is good and on par with the program vision is MORE important. You can guarentee you will get 2 or 3 really good kids to come all the way through your youth program. 7th and 8th grade kids usually can play both basketball and wrestling. Middle school matches are low risk for a kids confidence and you can draw some of those guys who are bound to quit basketball come high school. I think wrestling loses a lot of kids at 7th and 8th grade.
  • tightwaist and Eagle26 like this
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#9 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:48 AM

In California, any prior contact between a high school coach and a pre-enrolled athlete is technically a recruiting violation. It's pretty broadly ignored, but the fact that it's on the books at all is a symptom of why CA can never quite catch the traditional power states.

this is insane to me. I wonder what led to this rule.

#10 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:00 AM

Very true. Youth programs are important. However, I think making sure your Jr High coach is good and on par with the program vision is MORE important. You can guarentee you will get 2 or 3 really good kids to come all the way through your youth program. 7th and 8th grade kids usually can play both basketball and wrestling. Middle school matches are low risk for a kids confidence and you can draw some of those guys who are bound to quit basketball come high school. I think wrestling loses a lot of kids at 7th and 8th grade.

Yeah I was looping Jr High in as several programs I know didn't/don't have Jr. High Programs and as such the youth program was it.  So we basically agree that at least getting the 2 years of experience from 7th to 8th is paramount along with being certain the coach is on the same page.

Edited by MSU158, 11 January 2018 - 04:01 AM.

#11 stp

stp

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:01 AM

"Build it and they will come"

jordan-iso.png

Heck of a marketing photo....

Edited by stp, 11 January 2018 - 04:10 AM.

#12 stp

stp

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:06 AM

lol

#13 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:44 AM

"Build it and they will come"

jordan-iso.png
Heck of a marketing photo....

Jordan would've never had the success in PA that he has in Ohio in a public school.

The PIAA is way too hard on transfers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#14 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

I highly doubt there is much money being thrown around in Iowa City or Stillwater and I know there isn't much being thrown around in State College. 

#15 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

Best public school coach I've ever seen is Wayne Branstetter from Poway, High School in Poway, CA.  Keep in mind I'm from PA.  But I've personally witnessed the amount of juice he can squeeze from a kid, it's just insane!  

When people talk about turning a normal/unknown kid into a champion I think about him and his program.  I couldn't imagine if he came to PA and coached.

#16 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

I highly doubt there is much money being thrown around in Iowa City or Stillwater and I know there isn't much being thrown around in State College.

okay bill gates.

"This space for rent"

#17 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

http://www.espn.com/...ory?id=2286820

Unfortunately I doubt the wrestling program saw much of that...T. Boone prefers to flush his money down the toilet for OSU's football program.

Edited by TobusRex, 11 January 2018 - 02:16 PM.

#18 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Interesting that many people here are talking about what makes a high school coach great. I feel it is so different than coaching in college. The obvious biggest difference is no recruiting (for public schools anyway). I have often wondered if some of the great college coaches would be able to have the same success at high school and vise versa. Something tells me that some of best high school coaches would be excellent college coaches, but some of the best college coaches would struggle as HS coaches. 

#19 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

okay bill gates.

Central PA is poor. 

#20 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

Excellent coaches raise funds.  Plenty of money in State College.  The NLWC has 6 million parked

Excellent coaches raise a lot of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users