Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

To Be A Great Coach

I think this is true. Maybe at the lower levels of college wrestling you can still simply outwork your competition to a title, but at the top of D1 you have physical outliers, who also work very very hard.

I would always chuckle when I see the quote "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" because is seems to ignore the fact that "talent that works hard beats everything!" except bad luck ofcourse.

I agree. It's pretty well known that the best athletes don't always make the best coaches and the best coaches weren't always make the best athletes. I think wrestling is different from other sports due to the fact that outside of coaching there aren't all that many opportunities to make a living outside of coaching. So the best wrestlers having the biggest names end up snagging all the top level coaching jobs.

That's why I think Kyle Snyder could be the next Cael. What HS kid wouldn't jump at the chance to wrestle/learn from Kyle? There are a lot of universities that should be jockeying to put themselves in a position to acquire Kyle as a coach after his wrestling career ends.

I think this is true. Maybe at the lower levels of college wrestling you can still simply outwork your competition to a title, but at the top of D1 you have physical outliers, who also work very very hard.

There are also a lot of physically gifted guys who never had a decent wrestling coach prior to college. What's more impressive: a kid winning state for a killer coach, or a kid who finished 3rd or 4th despite the fact he had nothing but athleticism and NO technical skill? I'd argue the 3rd/4th place kid's achievement might be more impressive. Anyway those are the hidden gems that coaches should identify. They've got the physical tools, all they need is somebody to coach them up. If Stephen Neal (for example) had somebody like Jeff Buxton coaching him he might've been a 3 time state champ instead of only finishing 4th once.

2 cents tossed in.

Edited by TobusRex

There are also a lot of physically gifted guys who never had a decent wrestling coach prior to college. What's more impressive: a kid winning state for a killer coach, or a kid who finished 3rd or 4th despite the fact he had nothing but athleticism and NO technical skill? I'd argue the 3rd/4th place kid's achievement might be more impressive. Anyway those are the hidden gems that coaches should identify. They've got the physical tools, all they need is somebody to coach them up. If Stephen Neal (for example) had somebody like Jeff Buxton coaching him he might've been a 3 time state champ instead of only finishing 4th once.

2 cents tossed in.

and he might have burnt out in college, not been as driven, whatever and not been a 4 time AA 2x champ .... who knows?