• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

Not too different. College coaches recruit, high school coaches have to attract numbers and "recruit" kids to their sport. Only difference is college recruiting you need to know how to sell your school and knowing the admissions process is huge, especially at a smaller college with a small staff. Imo, both hs and college coaching wont be easy IF you want to be really good at it.

We may never know if a great high school coach could do well at the best D1 programs because the best schools only hire NCAA and Olympic champs. Maybe Goodale will change that trend someday.

Edited by russelscout, 11 January 2018 - 03:30 PM.

• BigTenFanboy likes this
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#22 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

Not too different. College coaches recruit, high school coaches have to attract numbers and "recruit" kids to their sport. Only difference is college recruiting you need to know how to sell your school and knowing the admissions process is huge, especially at a smaller college with a small staff. Imo, both hs and college coaching wont be easy IF you want to be really good at it.
We may never know if a great high school coach could do well at the best D1 programs because the best schools only hire NCAA and Olympic champs. Maybe Goodale will change that trend someday.

I agree. It's pretty well known that the best athletes don't always make the best coaches and the best coaches weren't always make the best athletes. I think wrestling is different from other sports due to the fact that outside of coaching there aren't all that many opportunities to make a living outside of coaching. So the best wrestlers having the biggest names end up snagging all the top level coaching jobs.

#23 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

Yep! Really, why does the success make them the best coaches? Are the coaches making the kids great, or are the great kids making the coaches look great?
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#24 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

Yep! Really, why does the success make them the best coaches? Are the coaches making the kids great, or are the great kids making the coaches look great?

My old high school coach and one of my life long mentors told me quite a few times that coaching is overrated. He was a very successful coach who produced numerous State medalists in wrestling, tennis, track and field as well as a number of team tennis and soccer State championships. He said if the kid isn't a naturally gifted athlete, there's only so much you can do with him. He also said a great coach has the ability to acurately gauge an athletes potential and get them there, but if that athletic base isn't there there's only so far you can take him/her.

#25 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

I think this is true. Maybe at the lower levels of college wrestling you can still simply outwork your competition to a title, but at the top of D1 you have physical outliers, who also work very very hard.

#26 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

I think this is true. Maybe at the lower levels of college wrestling you can still simply outwork your competition to a title, but at the top of D1 you have physical outliers, who also work very very hard.

I would always chuckle when I see the quote "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" because is seems to ignore the fact that "talent that works hard beats everything!" except bad luck ofcourse.

#27 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

I agree. It's pretty well known that the best athletes don't always make the best coaches and the best coaches weren't always make the best athletes. I think wrestling is different from other sports due to the fact that outside of coaching there aren't all that many opportunities to make a living outside of coaching. So the best wrestlers having the biggest names end up snagging all the top level coaching jobs.

That's why I think Kyle Snyder could be the next Cael. What HS kid wouldn't jump at the chance to wrestle/learn from Kyle? There are a lot of universities that should be jockeying to put themselves in a position to acquire Kyle as a coach after his wrestling career ends.

#28 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

There are also a lot of physically gifted guys who never had a decent wrestling coach prior to college. What's more impressive: a kid winning state for a killer coach, or a kid who finished 3rd or 4th despite the fact he had nothing but athleticism and NO technical skill? I'd argue the 3rd/4th place kid's achievement might be more impressive. Anyway those are the hidden gems that coaches should identify. They've got the physical tools, all they need is somebody to coach them up. If Stephen Neal (for example) had somebody like Jeff Buxton coaching him he might've been a 3 time state champ instead of only finishing 4th once.

2 cents tossed in.

Edited by TobusRex, 11 January 2018 - 05:12 PM.

#29 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

There are also a lot of physically gifted guys who never had a decent wrestling coach prior to college. What's more impressive: a kid winning state for a killer coach, or a kid who finished 3rd or 4th despite the fact he had nothing but athleticism and NO technical skill? I'd argue the 3rd/4th place kid's achievement might be more impressive. Anyway those are the hidden gems that coaches should identify. They've got the physical tools, all they need is somebody to coach them up. If Stephen Neal (for example) had somebody like Jeff Buxton coaching him he might've been a 3 time state champ instead of only finishing 4th once.

2 cents tossed in.

and he might have burnt out in college, not been as driven, whatever and not been a 4 time AA 2x champ .... who knows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users