Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Lee 0-2 next two duals? What then?

It would be quite the sobering moment.   If they pulled him from Midlands due to a single loss and a need to protect his confidence, one can only speculate what they'd do to him after consecutive losses.    They wouldn't want to hurt his confidence or throw off his psyche.     These are 2 huge matches and at 125, Lee has struggled in huge matches (Fix, Desanto, Bresser).    I'm not going to go out on a limb and say he wins both, and quite frankly I'll be happy with a split.   I have to believe the Lee fan base  will be doing much second guessing and finger pointing in the event he goes 0-2.   At this point I'd like to see him get out there and just focus on his wrestling.   The pressure has got to really be taking a toll on him.    One social media site had commentary with fans calling for Brands job after Midlands.   That's too much to put on the young kid.     

I think it's possible that Spencer Lee goes 0-2 next two weeks losing to Pich and then Nato. I am not saying it's likely, but we can't rule it out. Now let's say that happens, what does that mean for him and for Brands? 

Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

NaTo is going to duck until the B1G. If PSU wins the title again, Cael needs to send the Brands a thank you card. Lee is going to throw enough of a monkey wrench into the mix that is ruins tOSU chance at the trophy.

I'll send a case of Omaha Steaks to Brands if Pat Downey can take out Myles Martin at NCAA's. 

I think it's possible that Spencer Lee goes 0-2 next two weeks losing to Pich and then Nato. I am not saying it's likely, but we can't rule it out. Now let's say that happens, what does that mean for him and for Brands? 

Obviously his opponents were stalling.  

Would going 0-2 over his next two matches put qualifying for NCAAs at severe risk? I'm not sure what the OP is trying to get at, but I don't think it's such a big deal for a true freshman to drop a couple of matches at this point in the season, so long as he qualifies and peaks for the postseason.

I really don't think Picc is a good match-up for Picc.  NATO, we shall see.  I think Cruz will give Lee fits.  

a

NaTo is going to duck until the B1G. If PSU wins the title again, Cael needs to send the Brands a thank you card. Lee is going to throw enough of a monkey wrench into the mix that is ruins tOSU chance at the trophy.

All depends on seeding.  Better not get Cruz or Bresser, right?

Okay, maybe we should re-think the "best lightweight room in the country"?  I mean, Lee was never supposed to lose in college, and he has already.  Bet if Lee went elsewhere Iowa "fans" would have pointed this out.  Lee needs to stop being Iowa and move more in Neutral.  

It would be quite the sobering moment. If they pulled him from Midlands due to a single loss and a need to protect his confidence, one can only speculate what they'd do to him after consecutive losses. They wouldn't want to hurt his confidence or throw off his psyche. These are 2 huge matches and at 125, Lee has struggled in huge matches (Fix, Desanto, Bresser). I'm not going to go out on a limb and say he wins both, and quite frankly I'll be happy with a split. I have to believe the Lee fan base will be doing much second guessing and finger pointing in the event he goes 0-2. At this point I'd like to see him get out there and just focus on his wrestling. The pressure has got to really be taking a toll on him. One social media site had commentary with fans calling for Brands job after Midlands. That's too much to put on the young kid.

Thi is a great post and I think captures the risks here. So far as I know the worst losing streak Lee ever suffered was the two consecutive losses for Fix. Should he go 0-2 - notwithstanding the quality of the competition being so high - not only is that 0-3 in a row but it’s also two losses to people Fix beat (though Fix beat Tomo in freestyle. This would put Lee in a kind of mental double jeapardy because of Fix.

Without inside info, you have no idea of the pressure Lee is going through. The fact that he lost and decided to still go for a title this year says a lot. It would appear that a meaningless regular season loss is not as crushing as Cletus had hoped it would be. I have to believe the decision to be Cut loose was something he had a pretty significant say in.

Edited by russelscout

Thi is a great post and I think captures the risks here. So far as I know the worst losing streak Lee ever suffered was the two consecutive losses for Fix. Should he go 0-2 - notwithstanding the quality of the competition being so high - not only is that 0-3 in a row but it’s also two losses to people Fix beat (though Fix beat Tomo in freestyle. This would put Lee in a kind of mental double jeapardy because of Fix.

I know it doesn’t fit your narrative but he wouldn’t be 0-3.

He rebounded with a win against MSU so even if he loses the next 2 it won't be 3 in a row...

Honest question btfb? you think the brands and Lee are completely unaware of just how tough the big 10s and 125 as a whole is? Do you think the brands think he may take some lumps or crush everyone through the ncaa?

Edited by russelscout

I'm pretty excited to see what he can do. He's definitely strong/quick enough to place high on the podium. I was impressed that Bresser got in deep on Lee's left leg, had it off the mat and pulled up, and still couldn't get Lee down. He's got a nasty whizzer and has superb mat awareness. Bresser got overextended and nearly gave up two himself, eventually. Lee looks tough as hell to take down, excellent balance and strength.

His offensive technique needs some work. He had a rotten doubleleg attempt where he got a bit overextended and his head was down the entire time. He needs to work better out of ties, Bresser had the advantage out of ties (when he wasn't running). Lee's fairly upright stance is going to get him into a little trouble against faster wrestlers, but he looks like a serious load to take down. Counters could be a big part of his arsenal at D1 level.

If Lee can iron out the kinks offensively I think he'll be almost unstoppable. His mat work was decent, he had the RT advantage.

Regarding his record, as long as he improves I think it'll take care of itself. There aren't many guys in the B1G that have a serious chance of beating him anyway.

Edited by TobusRex

Honest question btfb? you think the brands and Lee are completely unaware of just how tough the big 10s and 125 as a whole is? Do you think the brands think he may take some lumps or crush everyone through the ncaa?

Honestly I don't know. I was thrilled to see Lee's redshirt pulled because he is so highly regarded and I love seeing the best of the best go at it. At the same time I honestly don't think Lee has faced anyone of the calibur of senior Nato or sophomore Suriano and this includes those he faced in the 50k junior worlds. He will absolutely be tested in the upcoming weeks.

Honestly I don't know. I was thrilled to see Lee's redshirt pulled because he is so highly regarded and I love seeing the best of the best go at it. At the same time I honestly don't think Lee has faced anyone of the calibur of senior Nato or sophomore Suriano and this includes those he faced in the 50k junior worlds. He will absolutely be tested in the upcoming weeks.

He's got Piccininni soon. I'm looking forward to that one. I'm a Picc fan, enjoy watching that stringbean wrestle. Lee's a brute, but Picc is a high placing AA (4th) and has the length advantage. Should be great fun. Wonder if these kids wrestled in HS?

If he gets those matches and loses, he can learn from them before Ncaas. A lot of time yet. Getting used to the pace and tactics of a D1 match is huge even for the young stars. A couple losses really doesn't seem like it would matter as long as he keeps improving before March. It's too bad for him he will not see Cruz as he brings a unique quick, explosive style.

If he gets those matches and loses, he can learn from them before Ncaas. A lot of time yet. Getting used to the pace and tactics of a D1 match is huge even for the young stars. A couple losses really doesn't seem like it would matter as long as he keeps improving before March. It's too bad for him he will not see Cruz as he brings a unique quick, explosive style.

Absolutely. As long as he keeps learning and improving. Kid looks like a potential beast.

I think Cruz shocks a lot of people with his power. He's a little 125 pounder, but he might be the strongest of the bunch.

Edited by TobusRex