Photo

Does increased number of televised events hurt attendance?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

Serious question.  I have my opinion, but I'm interested to hear what the consensus is.  I personally feel we will build the interest and thus the butts in the seats.  I'm not going to Cleveland this season, in part because I can set on my couch and eat and drink my own home cooking while watching every session.  True, it's nothing like being there, but on a year like this it helps me keep up.  I live streamed the World Championships, and to the chagrin of a few, I see a market there for that type of event or the DI's, developed to a point where a huge number of fans would pay a 10 dollar ppv and build the sport up even more.

#2 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

... ppv is a good idea ....

#3 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

While it's not good optics to see empty bleachers, televised or streamed events benefit the sport and programs if there's a solid media revenue sharing model in place. PPV is an option, but free/freeish broadcasts with ads or sponsors can help scale up an audience. Televised or streamed events can also be a good stepping stone for new or casual viewers to become more serious fans if there's excellent color commentary (Anthony Robles comes to mind) to narrate the action and help viewers develop a deeper understanding of the action on the mat. 

#4 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

A lot more promotion is needed to fill seats. The fact many can get the subscription for the TV or computer means more can watch the matches and generally get a better view than they would on site.

I don't do the subscriptions because slow connection means I never get to watch much of any of the broadcasts online. Don't own a TV and would not pay for satellite even if I did. Too many other things to do, too many books to read.

Still think if 25 or more on these boards started calling their sports shows and writer at least three times a week about wrestling coverage it would pick up. Then those on the shows would not be saying "you are only the third call we have had about wrestling in the past 6 months". The would address the sport because it would being viewers and listeners - who patronize the sponsors - who pay the bills.

#5 JeanGuy

JeanGuy
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

I have never used TV as a reason not to attend an event. If I want to go and am able I will. If there are reasons that  make attending difficult I watch on TV if I can.

I know there is discussion with the $$ sports about coverage hurting live attendance but if you are a sports fan there is nothing like being there live no matter how good the TV coverage is.

• Jasonmitchell32 likes this

#6 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

No

• xander likes this

#7 LHN94

LHN94

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

Being on television should build your fan base, which in turn should increase attendance. I got interested in wrestling again when BTN began broadcasting wrestling. In the past 5 years I've attended over a dozen college wrestling events. In the 15 years prior I attended zero.
  • Witherman likes this

#8 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

Maybe
  • xander likes this

#9 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

Yes
  • xander likes this
"To feel sorry for him because his dream is going down the drain is ludicrous. I would like nothing more than to see Josh Budke on top of the heap at the end. The thing is he has to earn it. It's not that he deserves it. He doesn't deserve anything. The only thing you deserve is what you earn." -Tom Brands

#10 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Sometimes
  • xander likes this

#11 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

I've always loved live wrestling events but the convenience of staying home and watching after a long work week usually wins out.  

I think there's a larger audience for the sport  especially on TV.  This world needs the authenticity of wrestling and would respond to it.  

#12 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

If I have a choice of a live event or watching from the comfort of my home...my home wins every time by a country mile.

#13 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

I travel an hour to Brookings for all the home SDSU duals even though I could sit at home and watch on flo. I go to 1 or 2 Minnesota matches each year also, headed up for The Illinois dual on Sunday and taking five people who’ve never been to a Gopher dual.

Edited by WrestlingFan89, 11 January 2018 - 01:34 PM.

• JasonBryant, silver-medal and Witherman like this

#14 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

Sdsu creates a great environment though. Would you travel to Madison to go to a Wisconsin dual when the place is nearly empty or just watch it online?
"To feel sorry for him because his dream is going down the drain is ludicrous. I would like nothing more than to see Josh Budke on top of the heap at the end. The thing is he has to earn it. It's not that he deserves it. He doesn't deserve anything. The only thing you deserve is what you earn." -Tom Brands

#15 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

Sdsu creates a great environment though. Would you travel to Madison to go to a Wisconsin dual when the place is nearly empty or just watch it online?

I was going to SDSU duals before Bono arrived and brought the excitement. It is much easier now to find people to come with.

#16 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

Your a good wrestling fan sir. I make my local matches, but don't really travel too often. Watching matches has become very easy for me stay home and watch or to sneak in a match here and there when my wife is dragging me around town.
  • WrestlingFan89 likes this

#17 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

No

I like nice concise answers. D earned an “A” !
  • Yellow_Medal likes this
Tony Clifton

#18 FATMANROLL

FATMANROLL

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

If I had TV I would ne watching the Michigan PSU meet from home instead of driving over to AA for a 9pm start

#19 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Your a good wrestling fan sir. I make my local matches, but don't really travel too often. Watching matches has become very easy for me stay home and watch or to sneak in a match here and there when my wife is dragging me around town.

I live in wrestling hell. The closest D1 wrestling school is ASU over 300 miles away. There's some HS teams down here but the quality of wrestling in NM is, generally, doodoo. There are a couple D2/D3 schools that wrestle in the state. I'd like to see NMSU start a wrestling program: they suck at every other sport, why not try wrestling? No local talent to speak of though, though El Paso does occasionally produce some talent.

FLO is my link to watching live wrestling.

Edited by TobusRex, 11 January 2018 - 04:21 PM.

#20 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:33 AM

There's some HS teams down here but the quality of wrestling in NM is, generally, doodoo.

I'm right on the Iowa/Nebraska border, I go to the high school meets, the product is usually still not great. I think my time in college has made it hard to watch at that level unless the kids are elite. I can't imagine how it would be in NM where there is no culture. I go because it's nice to catch up with other wrestling people.
  • cjc007 and TobusRex like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users