Sign in to follow this  
Peso

Does increased number of televised events hurt attendance?

Serious question.  I have my opinion, but I'm interested to hear what the consensus is.  I personally feel we will build the interest and thus the butts in the seats.  I'm not going to Cleveland this season, in part because I can set on my couch and eat and drink my own home cooking while watching every session.  True, it's nothing like being there, but on a year like this it helps me keep up.  I live streamed the World Championships, and to the chagrin of a few, I see a market there for that type of event or the DI's, developed to a point where a huge number of fans would pay a 10 dollar ppv and build the sport up even more.

While it's not good optics to see empty bleachers, televised or streamed events benefit the sport and programs if there's a solid media revenue sharing model in place. PPV is an option, but free/freeish broadcasts with ads or sponsors can help scale up an audience. Televised or streamed events can also be a good stepping stone for new or casual viewers to become more serious fans if there's excellent color commentary (Anthony Robles comes to mind) to narrate the action and help viewers develop a deeper understanding of the action on the mat. 

A lot more promotion is needed to fill seats. The fact many can get the subscription for the TV or computer means more can watch the matches and generally get a better view than they would on site.

I don't do the subscriptions because slow connection means I never get to watch much of any of the broadcasts online. Don't own a TV and would not pay for satellite even if I did. Too many other things to do, too many books to read.

Still think if 25 or more on these boards started calling their sports shows and writer at least three times a week about wrestling coverage it would pick up. Then those on the shows would not be saying "you are only the third call we have had about wrestling in the past 6 months". The would address the sport because it would being viewers and listeners - who patronize the sponsors - who pay the bills.

I have never used TV as a reason not to attend an event. If I want to go and am able I will. If there are reasons that  make attending difficult I watch on TV if I can.

I know there is discussion with the $$ sports about coverage hurting live attendance but if you are a sports fan there is nothing like being there live no matter how good the TV coverage is.

Being on television should build your fan base, which in turn should increase attendance. I got interested in wrestling again when BTN began broadcasting wrestling. In the past 5 years I've attended over a dozen college wrestling events. In the 15 years prior I attended zero.

I've always loved live wrestling events but the convenience of staying home and watching after a long work week usually wins out.  

I think there's a larger audience for the sport  especially on TV.  This world needs the authenticity of wrestling and would respond to it.  

I travel an hour to Brookings for all the home SDSU duals even though I could sit at home and watch on flo. I go to 1 or 2 Minnesota matches each year also, headed up for The Illinois dual on Sunday and taking five people who’ve never been to a Gopher dual.

Edited by WrestlingFan89

Sdsu creates a great environment though. Would you travel to Madison to go to a Wisconsin dual when the place is nearly empty or just watch it online?

I was going to SDSU duals before Bono arrived and brought the excitement. It is much easier now to find people to come with.

Your a good wrestling fan sir. I make my local matches, but don't really travel too often. Watching matches has become very easy for me stay home and watch or to sneak in a match here and there when my wife is dragging me around town.

I live in wrestling hell. The closest D1 wrestling school is ASU over 300 miles away. There's some HS teams down here but the quality of wrestling in NM is, generally, doodoo. There are a couple D2/D3 schools that wrestle in the state. I'd like to see NMSU start a wrestling program: they suck at every other sport, why not try wrestling? No local talent to speak of though, though El Paso does occasionally produce some talent.

FLO is my link to watching live wrestling.

Edited by TobusRex

There's some HS teams down here but the quality of wrestling in NM is, generally, doodoo.

I'm right on the Iowa/Nebraska border, I go to the high school meets, the product is usually still not great. I think my time in college has made it hard to watch at that level unless the kids are elite. I can't imagine how it would be in NM where there is no culture. I go because it's nice to catch up with other wrestling people.

I'm right on the Iowa/Nebraska border, I go to the high school meets, the product is usually still not great. I think my time in college has made it hard to watch at that level unless the kids are elite. I can't imagine how it would be in NM where there is no culture. I go because it's nice to catch up with other wrestling people.

About the best down here is Rio Rancho HS from a semi-swanky suburb of Albuquerque. They routinely wrestle in tournaments in nearby states and seem to do okay for themselves. I seem to recall seeing them finish in the top 4 or 5 at some of the bigger Oklahoma tournaments at one time. I knew of some twins from NM who moved to Clinton, Oklahoma and both won state titles my senior year (1982-83). I think they actually moved for the wrestling. Gotta respect the kids in NM for trying in a soccer state. The football here is maybe as bad as the wrestling. A few years back the returning state champ lost to Tulsa Jenks 72-0, lol. The schools here routinely get hammered by the El Paso schools 40 miles away, and those El Paso schools are notorious pussies that lose in the first round at state every year.

Now THAT is rambling.

Idk what you know about western Iowa and Nebraska in general but we have plenty of itty bitty towns. There are a lot of 8 man football teams. I believe some places Nebraska has a 6 man division. The hottest take anyone has around here about football is "You gotta establish the run". Brilliant

like scribe said, the thing we are desperately in need of in wrestling is more eyes on the product.

BEFORE we have eyes on the product, we have to make the product LOOK appealing to go see live.  Look at SDSU, look at Rutgers, I'm sure Rec Hall will be bonkers when tOSU comes to town.  We have to make it LOOK f** to go see live so that when we give folks or outsiders more access to view the product on their TV or streaming or whatever, they feel like they want to go see it live.

also, PPV is an absolutely horrible idea.