Photo

Does increased number of televised events hurt attendance?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 wpialchamp

wpialchamp
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

I used to go all the time. Now I just enjoy the convenience of my home. It also takes away the sting when a coach sits a kid and an anticipated match up doesn't happen.

#22 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:14 AM

Eyeballs interested in the sport is what counts. Whether in the bleachers or live streaming.

"This space for rent"

#23 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:46 AM

I'm right on the Iowa/Nebraska border, I go to the high school meets, the product is usually still not great. I think my time in college has made it hard to watch at that level unless the kids are elite. I can't imagine how it would be in NM where there is no culture. I go because it's nice to catch up with other wrestling people.

About the best down here is Rio Rancho HS from a semi-swanky suburb of Albuquerque. They routinely wrestle in tournaments in nearby states and seem to do okay for themselves. I seem to recall seeing them finish in the top 4 or 5 at some of the bigger Oklahoma tournaments at one time. I knew of some twins from NM who moved to Clinton, Oklahoma and both won state titles my senior year (1982-83). I think they actually moved for the wrestling. Gotta respect the kids in NM for trying in a soccer state. The football here is maybe as bad as the wrestling. A few years back the returning state champ lost to Tulsa Jenks 72-0, lol. The schools here routinely get hammered by the El Paso schools 40 miles away, and those El Paso schools are notorious pussies that lose in the first round at state every year.

Now THAT is rambling.

#24 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:57 AM

Idk what you know about western Iowa and Nebraska in general but we have plenty of itty bitty towns. There are a lot of 8 man football teams. I believe some places Nebraska has a 6 man division. The hottest take anyone has around here about football is "You gotta establish the run". Brilliant
  • TobusRex likes this
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#25 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:25 AM

like scribe said, the thing we are desperately in need of in wrestling is more eyes on the product.

BEFORE we have eyes on the product, we have to make the product LOOK appealing to go see live.  Look at SDSU, look at Rutgers, I'm sure Rec Hall will be bonkers when tOSU comes to town.  We have to make it LOOK f** to go see live so that when we give folks or outsiders more access to view the product on their TV or streaming or whatever, they feel like they want to go see it live.

also, PPV is an absolutely horrible idea.

#26 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:32 AM

It's a good idea to go to smaller facilities until you can fill the big ones. A local college has their duals in a huge building but roll out bleachers right around the mat. It packs in quick and then people have to sit on the track up above. Great environment. 350 feels like several thousand.
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users