Sign in to follow this  
olddirty

Trackwrestling let one slide

This reminds me of an incident that happened when I was in school. I am from a small town; about 5000. It's very a Christian town; like 9 churches or something crazy. One of the girls basketball players did the shocker on a team picture and the coach used that team picture for the team poster. It went up all over town. Because all the older folks were oblivious about what that meant. They stayed up for awhile. When word got out, it blew up and everyone freaked out and took them down and thought the girl should be punished. Best marketing the girls bball team ever did if you ask me.

Not to go too far down the rabbit hole, but I remember when this was big news a few years back.  The massive number of varied slang references is shocking and a testament to the creativity of men and women alike. 

https://deadspin.com/girls-basketball-players-suspended-for-flashing-shocker-1477867255

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shocker

This reminds me of an incident that happened when I was in school. I am from a small town; about 5000. It's very a Christian town; like 9 churches or something crazy. One of the girls basketball players did the shocker on a team picture and the coach used that team picture for the team poster. It went up all over town. Because all the older folks were oblivious about what that meant. They stayed up for awhile. When word got out, it blew up and everyone freaked out and took them down and thought the girl should be punished. Best marketing the girls bball team ever did if you ask me.

I was in h.s. and we had all recently learned what the shocker was and everyone was flashing it around in the halls, both guys and gals. The class president flashed the sign and said "Shocker!" loudly in our chemistry class and the teacher (incidentally a woman) asked what it meant. We all looked at each other like, "yeah right, we're gonna tell you..." when one idiot blurted it out. Well, the teacher flipped out and the class president was suspended for a week or two. It was not on the level of the glorious incident you described russelscout, but it was quite the debacle nonetheless. 

Not to go too far down the rabbit hole, but I remember when this was big news a few years back.  The massive number of varied slang references is shocking and a testament to the creativity of men and women alike. 

https://deadspin.com/girls-basketball-players-suspended-for-flashing-shocker-1477867255

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shocker

#2Bush1Cheney

lol

So... interestingly enough... I work with a woman that is an ASU grad.  During the recent College Football season, with our coworkers all milling around chatting about the various games, said female very proudly made that particular hand gesture.  

Now... in today's day and age... how do you think THAT went over... 

Yeah, it's their pitchfork gesture, haha.

There was also talk some time ago that ASU was going to redo their logo since it was designed as a Poseidon's trident instead of a devil's pitchfork, but it's ASU and details schmetails lol.

Yeah, the fans actually flash the sign on tv and at each other, like a school spirit thing. A lot of (all?) Pac-12 teams have a hand gesture - I think it started with USC's victory/fight on sign. ✌️

Edited by pamela