Before tonight, I probably had Nolf first, but I understand "take the win."

• Zain--best control
  • Nolf--lost a little luster with me tonight
  • Nickal--most big, but a little sloppy like Nolf
  • Joseph--very underrated, but may become the best
  • Hall--does what he does

Zain was Zain

Nolf for the first time since his freshman year vs Imar looked vulnerable

Joseph impressed me the most. I anticipated a nail biter and Joseph never really looked like he was in danger. The two takedowns in the first period impressed me more than his inside trip to back in the 3rd.

Hall looked like he was in control, but I don't see this "once in a generation" talent that some see with him.

Nickal looked like he received a belated Christmas gift from the ref. He needs to tighten things up otherwise Martin may have his number.

That Hall is 5th best on his team is almost too ridiculous to write, but I agree with you.

I've waffled between Zain and Nolf but always settle on Zain because you can't point to a weakness. What's his weakness? That he slaps the head too much? The only guys who come to mind without a real weakness are Kyle Dake and Logan Stieber. (Snyder is a different guy altogether because he's so good from one position that he makes the others totally irrelevant.) Zain is equally elite in all three positions. Elite physical preparation. Makes very few mistakes. Not as flashy as Nolf but has a more sustainable style as you ramp up level of competition. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

As Aristotle said, "One swallow [meaning "bird"] does not a summer make."  Similarly one match doesn't make a career (or necessarily change a whole lot). 

Keep in mind all five were wrestling away after two weeks off.  Michigan is a tough top five team. 

Nolf has proven himself beyond a doubt over 2 1/2 years. Retherford over 3 1/2 years.

• Retherford has 47 career falls.  Nolf has 41 (and a year to pass him). Nickal has 33. 

• Nolf has a 54% falls rate compared to Nickal's 43.4% and Retherford's 42%. 

• Nolf's career win rate is slightly higher than Retherford's:  97.4% to 97.3% and Nickal's  96.1 %. 

• And where Nolf puts real distance on everyone (except David Taylor at this point, whom he is also likely to pass) is career bonus point percentage:  Nolf is at 90.8%, Nickal at 75% and Retherford at 74.1%.   

•If trends continue, Retherford will likely win three titles; Nolf will likely win three, and Nickal also has the chance at 3.   It's theoretically possible for Hall and Joseph both to get four titles, but that will be a real challenge of course.

• But Retherford will likely finish:  5-1-1-1 whereas Nolf will likely finish 2-1-1-1.  

Based on these statistics, I would order (project) the top two as:

1. Nolf

2. Retherford

After that, I'm less certain who will be third or fourth or fifth:

Nickal?

Hall ?

Joseph ?

A lot can change of course, but if we are trying to be empirical, the above stats should count for something.  One might also factor in the number of points each has or likely will score at NCAAs, among other metrics. 

Addendum:  Prior to tonight's matches, Nolf had two matches all of last year that were decisions.  A five point win over Kemerer in Carver and a six point win over him at Big Tens.  (Aside: Watch the Big Ten match again, and Nolf clearly had a takedown at the end that would have given him the major.)

Last year, Retherford had an overtime win against Sorensen at Carver and a tight 2-1 win over Collica.  

Nolf has pinned a two-time NCAA champ (IMar) and lost two one point decisions to him.   Retherford has beaten a four-time champ in OT and lost twice to him by something like 4 points each time. 

This is not to take anything away from Retherford, who is a magnificent monster of a wrester and one who wrestled his true freshman year (to take 5th) unlike Nolf.  And, further, Retherford has better freestyle credentials at this point.  Nolf struggled with Pantaleo in a freestyle match until he laced him up and teched him.  

But all wrestlers have "bad match-ups" no matter how good they are -- witness Taylor vs. Dake.  Or Askren vs. Pendleton.  Perhaps Pantaleo's style or defensive strength is a pesky nut for Nolf to still crack, whereas Retherford figured it out at 149.   

• Retherford has 47 career falls.  Nolf has 41 (and a year to pass him). Nickal has 33. 

• Nolf has a 54% falls rate compared to Nickal's 43.4% and Retherford's 42%. 

Zain's numbers are severely skewed by his freshman year when he won a lot of close matches. After his redshirt year, he was a different beast. 

Here are the toughest matches for "Murderer's Row" before Big Tens and NCAAs

Retherford - Hayes and Sorensen

Nolf - Jordan and Kemmerer 

Joseph - Wanzek, Lewis, Campbell, Marinelli

Hall - Jordan

Nickal - Gravina, Martin, Downey

Of these, I only really see Kemerer, Marinelli, Jordan, and Martin as serious challenges.  Sorry PD3.   

Well, I know this is a thread about PSU, but as I watched the dual tonight, I couldn't help but think how tough Michigan looked. Seems to me that if they stay healthy and peak at the right time, I think they can a lot of noise at the NCAA's.

Didn't someone opine after Vegas that Pantaleo had a style that could present problems for Nolf?  Granted, this is just one match up.  But when Pantaleo is on, his style makes him very tough for anyone.  

Someone did. Keep in mind that Nolf took him down easily in freestyle last summer. Might have just been one tentative match combined with Pantaleo getting that TD and Nold then decides to just ride him out to secure the W. Next match between them tells a lot.

Didn't someone opine after Vegas that Pantaleo had a style that could present problems for Nolf? Granted, this is just one match up. But when Pantaleo is on, his style makes him very tough for anyone.

Gave you props on the PSU/Michigan thread. You mentioned he was the guy with the best shot and all but two or theee guys laughed. You were right. Good eye!

That Hall is 5th best on his team is almost too ridiculous to write, but I agree with you.

I've waffled between Zain and Nolf but always settle on Zain because you can't point to a weakness. What's his weakness? That he slaps the head too much? The only guys who come to mind without a real weakness are Kyle Dake and Logan Stieber. (Snyder is a different guy altogether because he's so good from one position that he makes the others totally irrelevant.) Zain is equally elite in all three positions. Elite physical preparation. Makes very few mistakes. Not as flashy as Nolf but has a more sustainable style as you ramp up level of competition.

What was Cael's weakness?

What was Cael's weakness?

Fair enough. I wasn't going back that far, but of course, you're right. I just think he was on a Snyder level of superiority so, like Snyder, I don't even count him. I guess if I was going to mention Snyder parenthetically, I should've done the same for Cael. His best position was by far neutral though, so I don't consider him equally good in all three positions like Zain, but yes, in terms of weaknesses, none.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Does anyone else think or at the very least like to see Hall at 165? He just looks so small at 74. Rumor has it Hall commited silently to the Bucks and Tom Ryan to come in and be the 165 after Marinelli decommited, and that all changed after visiting Cael and PSU. In a fun retrospect/hypothetical...imagine this tOSU lineup for one minute with Hall going 165 for the Bucks? Absolutely insane.