• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:18 AM

This season is a lot of fun and I'm enjoying the Bucks for what they are--a great team with a stud at every weight.  That said--I still think PSU is in the driver's seat.  Here's why:

1) Transfers McKenna and Campbell are good but not dominant.  McKenna is AA caliber but he's one of several guys who will be fighting for only a few spots on the podium.  The front five at 141 are just too good.  Campbell's signature win this season over A Valencia caused him to be overrated.  Most teams would love to have him but on Ohio State he's a "weak spot."  Both these guys can improve between now and March but I'm just not sure how much they will.

2) Ke-Shawn Hayes could be a 2x NCAA champ at 149 starting next season.  But that will require a lot of work and an improvement in all around conditioning.  Still, it's obvious he has the talent which isn't something you can say about too many people.  I'm looking for a bit more fire out of him....a sense that he's hellbent on winning.  Right now, I see him as just another tough guy.  He needs to tighten up his game.

3) Kollin Moore continues to win but his strategy of pace, pace, pace is being countered reasonably well by some of the bigger guys at the weight.  Not sure exactly who will emerge as his main challenger but I do get the sense he's vulnerable.  Then again, it's not a deep weight and guys like Miklus and Haught are not the ones to worry about.   Bucks need him as a finalist.  Is the pressure getting to him?  Or is just the grind of the season wearing on him?  Or do opponents just have a good strategy for his O?

4) Bo Jordan seems to be wrestling hurt.  Not sure exactly what the story is but he has not been impressive in last several outings.  While it's likely he'll gather and compete well by NCAA's, he doesn't look sharp presently.  

5) Micah Jordan has wrestled well all season.  I like his courage in tough matches and am confident he's putting his best effort on the mat.  But he's not a big 157 and there are some tough hombres at the weight.  He should make the podium but it's hard to say how high up on it.  

6) Luke Pletcher has cleaned up his game and has a style that presents issues for all opponents.  He won't score a lot...but neither will his competition.  However, his signature win is Micic although he's been solid against a number of steady competitors.  His #2 ranking seems inflated but that's not his fault.  

7) Bucks superstuds are Nate, Kyle and MyMar.  All three can win titles although only Kyle is a strong favorite.  Nate will always be in the thick of any title hunt and is a small fave over the field though Cruz and Lee will present really tough challenges.  Suriano doesn't have the slick O to worry me like the others but that's just splitting hairs.

8) I think PSU is likely to win 149, 157 and 165.  Hall is sort of a goofy wrestler--incredibly talented but smallish and occasionally vulnerable in certain positions.  He's a slight underdog to Zahid.  Bo and MyMar are even.  But no one would be surprised if PSU won all five of these weights plus did very well at 197 and Hvy.  That's seven wts with either champs or high AA's.  And lots of bonus.  Throw in Nick Lee as a low AA and that's just unfair.

9) Rest of the country has a lot of tough wrestlers.  The Hawks have surged.  Bucks would have to be near perfect and get some help to win it.  Could happen.  But odds are not in their favor.  

Love to be wrong.   

• HurricaneWrestling likes this

#2 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,358 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:23 AM

In my opinion, the biggest issue for tOSU is the emergence of 2Pac Rasheed at PSU. He might singlehandedly be the difference.
  • tabenn likes this

#3 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:37 AM

...i think the Buckeye's hang around too much- they have the skills and conditioning to attack immediately- i would love

to see the 1st takedown worth 3 points, would expedite things.....

• silver-medal likes this

#4 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:38 AM

In my opinion, the biggest issue for tOSU is the emergence of 2Pac Rasheed at PSU. He might singlehandedly be the difference.

I think it's more than that.  In particular Michigan is lurking in the dark.  They showed last night that they may yet be a force at end of season and could challenge the Bucks for runnerup.  Think about the UM lineup and potential scoring and compare it to the Bucks.  In spite of Vegas, it's still pretty close.  Honestly, I think Moore can handle Rasheed.  He's small and not that hard to figure out.  

#5 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,611 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

I think it's more than that.  In particular Michigan is lurking in the dark.  They showed last night that they may yet be a force at end of season and could challenge the Bucks for runnerup.  Think about the UM lineup and potential scoring and compare it to the Bucks.  In spite of Vegas, it's still pretty close.  Honestly, I think Moore can handle Rasheed.  He's small and not that hard to figure out.  

They won't be close.  Not a chance.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#6 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:56 AM

They won't be close.  Not a chance.

Who?  The Bucks?  Michigan?  

#7 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,611 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:57 AM

Who? The Bucks? Michigan?

Michigan to tOSU or PSU

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#8 Stuart1

Stuart1

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:19 AM

what is going on with nevills, lost to nc state stanford and michigan majored him, worried he will not aa.

#9 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:26 AM

If he can use the Jason Jaggers NCAA tournament approach of finding cradles from nowhere he could likely be.

Edited by MadMardigain, 13 January 2018 - 03:27 AM.

#10 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:40 AM

This season is a lot of fun and I'm enjoying the Bucks for what they are--a great team with a stud at every weight.  That said--I still think PSU is in the driver's seat.  Here's why:

1) Transfers McKenna and Campbell are good but not dominant.  McKenna is AA caliber but he's one of several guys who will be fighting for only a few spots on the podium.  The front five at 141 are just too good.  Campbell's signature win this season over A Valencia caused him to be overrated.  Most teams would love to have him but on Ohio State he's a "weak spot."  Both these guys can improve between now and March but I'm just not sure how much they will.

2) Ke-Shawn Hayes could be a 2x NCAA champ at 149 starting next season.  But that will require a lot of work and an improvement in all around conditioning.  Still, it's obvious he has the talent which isn't something you can say about too many people.  I'm looking for a bit more fire out of him....a sense that he's hellbent on winning.  Right now, I see him as just another tough guy.  He needs to tighten up his game.

3) Kollin Moore continues to win but his strategy of pace, pace, pace is being countered reasonably well by some of the bigger guys at the weight.  Not sure exactly who will emerge as his main challenger but I do get the sense he's vulnerable.  Then again, it's not a deep weight and guys like Miklus and Haught are not the ones to worry about.   Bucks need him as a finalist.  Is the pressure getting to him?  Or is just the grind of the season wearing on him?  Or do opponents just have a good strategy for his O?

4) Bo Jordan seems to be wrestling hurt.  Not sure exactly what the story is but he has not been impressive in last several outings.  While it's likely he'll gather and compete well by NCAA's, he doesn't look sharp presently.  

5) Micah Jordan has wrestled well all season.  I like his courage in tough matches and am confident he's putting his best effort on the mat.  But he's not a big 157 and there are some tough hombres at the weight.  He should make the podium but it's hard to say how high up on it.  

6) Luke Pletcher has cleaned up his game and has a style that presents issues for all opponents.  He won't score a lot...but neither will his competition.  However, his signature win is Micic although he's been solid against a number of steady competitors.  His #2 ranking seems inflated but that's not his fault.  

7) Bucks superstuds are Nate, Kyle and MyMar.  All three can win titles although only Kyle is a strong favorite.  Nate will always be in the thick of any title hunt and is a small fave over the field though Cruz and Lee will present really tough challenges.  Suriano doesn't have the slick O to worry me like the others but that's just splitting hairs.

8) I think PSU is likely to win 149, 157 and 165.  Hall is sort of a goofy wrestler--incredibly talented but smallish and occasionally vulnerable in certain positions.  He's a slight underdog to Zahid.  Bo and MyMar are even.  But no one would be surprised if PSU won all five of these weights plus did very well at 197 and Hvy.  That's seven wts with either champs or high AA's.  And lots of bonus.  Throw in Nick Lee as a low AA and that's just unfair.

9) Rest of the country has a lot of tough wrestlers.  The Hawks have surged.  Bucks would have to be near perfect and get some help to win it.  Could happen.  But odds are not in their favor.  

Love to be wrong.

Has Bo Jordan ever wrestled a college match when he was hasn't thought to be hurt?

#11 denger

denger

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:58 AM

NaTo's recovery is looking as good as we could hope.

I don't think Pletcher's ranking is necessarily inflated, there's just one dominant guy in that weight.

I didn't think that McKenna looked all that bad, given that we got majored! I bet he doesn't go under Thorn next time, but he seemed to think he was in control the whole time. It's a super deep weight, but I don't count him out of title contenders just yet.

149-165 all show some hesitation.

I agree with Silver-Medal about Ke-Shawn.

Micah looks frustrated half the time, like he's annoyed that it takes the 2nd, 3rd, 4th effort to score the points, and which each successive effort he gets a little more mad. It'll have to get more fluid if he's going to challenge to top guys.

Te'Shan is very powerful but the least polished guy in the lineup. His moments of brilliance give me hope, and maybe I don't give enough credit to his opponents for breaking him out of his game, but when he's on he's dominant. When he's not he's nothing special.

I appreciated Bo's energy late in the match against Pfarr, digging deep for bonus. I'm choosing to believe some of the homer analysis that he's biding his time until March. 

Martin v Nickal is going to be a real treat that I hope we get three times!

Moore has always been relentless in his leg attacks, and I get that it keeps him in control, but I wish I believed that he had some methodology about striking more precisely when it counted. Half of the attempts don't penetrate enough to put his opponent in danger, but about a quarter do put the guy in bad position and the rest put the guy in real danger. I wish that those shots that change his opponents position could transition to more real scoring opportunities. I had a hard time understanding how he didn't get bonus last night.

• NYWRESTLER94 likes this

#12 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,737 posts

Jordan has been hurt for years.  It is absolutely not his fault, but at this point I would just assume he will be at least a bit hurt for NCAAs.  

I'd bet large amounts of money that Hayes is never a 2X NCAA champ.  There is a glut of guys at 141 that are staying down because of Zain, and I'd take just about any of them over the 149 crew if they move up.  

I would not make Tomasello the favorite just yet.  Lizak looked just as bad for the first half of the match again Picc who is outside the top 5.  The only difference is that Lizak had no gas tank last night so he looked that bad the whole match.  I think Tomasello is one of a few co-favorites in a loaded field until we see him against some of the top guys.  

I hope Snyder pins/TFs his way through NCAAs.  I'd love to see him pour it on in the finals and break a fantastic opponent and show just how much better he is than these guys.  

I'd still slightly favor Nickal over Martin.  My read on that match doesn't change even a little bit based on last night.  For a while I've thought Martin is a threat to win that match every time, but you can't declare him even based on the past year.  

#13 jammen

jammen

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,260 posts

what is going on with nevills, lost to nc state stanford and michigan majored him, worried he will not aa.

In nine years Cael only has a 5th and a 6th at heavyweight.  Cunningham can coach the middle weights but he is too small to help the heavies.

Follow the money  Deepthroat commenting on nefarious activities

#14 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:02 AM

NaTo's recovery is looking as good as we could hope.

I don't think Pletcher's ranking is necessarily inflated, there's just one dominant guy in that weight.

I didn't think that McKenna looked all that bad, given that we got majored! I bet he doesn't go under Thorn next time, but he seemed to think he was in control the whole time. It's a super deep weight, but I don't count him out of title contenders just yet.

149-165 all show some hesitation.

I agree with Silver-Medal about Ke-Shawn.

Micah looks frustrated half the time, like he's annoyed that it takes the 2nd, 3rd, 4th effort to score the points, and which each successive effort he gets a little more mad. It'll have to get more fluid if he's going to challenge to top guys.

Te'Shan is very powerful but the least polished guy in the lineup. His moments of brilliance give me hope, and maybe I don't give enough credit to his opponents for breaking him out of his game, but when he's on he's dominant. When he's not he's nothing special.

I appreciated Bo's energy late in the match against Pfarr, digging deep for bonus. I'm choosing to believe some of the homer analysis that he's biding his time until March. 

Martin v Nickal is going to be a real treat that I hope we get three times!

Moore has always been relentless in his leg attacks, and I get that it keeps him in control, but I wish I believed that he had some methodology about striking more precisely when it counted. Half of the attempts don't penetrate enough to put his opponent in danger, but about a quarter do put the guy in bad position and the rest put the guy in real danger. I wish that those shots that change his opponents position could transition to more real scoring opportunities. I had a hard time understanding how he didn't get bonus last night.

McKenna got majored by a guy who won't AA.  He is absolutely not a title contender.  I'm not sure he's a finals or semis contender unless the bracket goes crazy and opens up for him.  This weight is WAY better than it was when he placed 3rd and I don't think he's better.  Heil has always been a level above him and Heil has been caught (and maybe passed).  

#15 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:02 AM

In nine years Cael only has a 5th and a 6th at heavyweight.  Cunningham can coach the middle weights but he is too small to help the heavies.

They do have Varner in the room..
  • rcoates1 likes this

#16 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:03 AM

That would explain the struggle at Heavyweight if Nevilis had not already been a much better wrestler while being coached by Cael.  Cael may not be a heavyweight coaching superstar, but Cael's coaching is not why Nevilis is suddenly much worse than a year ago.

#17 jeffr_ideal

jeffr_ideal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:20 AM

Good write up Silver.  I think both Jordans have lost some of their fire, not sure why, but they used to be offensive machines.  Micah is to some degree, but his mat wrestling is horrible and always vulnerable if he is on bottom.  Bo used to kill guys from the top position but now he seems to struggle a bit. 

On NATO, he looked great, and I wonder if the injury was part injury part needed time off.  He has kept a brutal schedule, I think a break for him would have been good regardless of injury or not.  As a senior, he also appears to have developed man strength.  I think he will be hard to beat come tournament time. 

Both Myles and Kollin's opponents stalled their asses off, but they both looked good.  I think Kollin is the fav to win the title this year.  Judging from Nickal's performance last night, I PERSONALLY see Myles and Nickal as neck and neck.  Myles has gotten so much stronger and Nickal seems a little undersized.  

#18 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,358 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:20 AM

Moore will beat Rasheed, maybe even easily. My point was PSU was looking like a slight favorite to slight underdog,  depending on the week before Rasheed because you had to pencil in R12 to maybe 7th place as the realistic range for 197 with maybe 1 major along the way if they got lucky. Now, it's hard to see anything but AA with at least 2 bonus matches and the very real possibility of high AA. 197 was a total afterthought in the conversation and now, it's not crazy to think PSU could match the point production of one of tOSU's 3 studs in some scenarios.

Of course, it's never just one thing, but to me, Rasheed is single biggest positive change for PSU from where they were in November or December and where they are now.

I don't see Michigan taking tOSU for 2nd under any reasonable base case scenario. Bucks have too good a lineup top to bottom this year. Leaves a lot of margin for error if we're talking 2nd place.

#19 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:24 AM

Loved the way Myles Martin wrestled last night. All types of aggressive, slick technique combined with nice chain wrestling. If he wrestles like that he will be very dangerous against Bo Nickal, and I'm a huge Bo Nickal fan.

Also give credit to Anderson last night. Even though Miles was on another level Anderson did not give up and showed a lot of heart.
  • madcat11 likes this

#20 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,358 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:29 AM

Has Bo Jordan ever wrestled a college match when he was hasn't thought to be hurt?

He was perfectly healthy throughout his redshirt year. He's had bad luck with injuries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users