Sign in to follow this  
OtisCampbell

Jersey Shore Style

http://www.dailytargum.com/sports/wrest ... f6878.html

Is this the Iowa style he speaks of

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=OHsCchre ... HsCchreVn0

He acts like psu came up with the concept that you need to score bonus points in March. Sure they may be executing on it better than anyone right now, but Iowa teams won a bulk of their 20+ titles by getting a ton of bonus points at NCAAs. Gable preached this since I can remember, Brands preaches it. If anything Cael has taken this straight out of the Iowa Style Playbook.

Seriously, is Molinaro a decent guy or is he as big of a Guido as he comes off as? I guess I would have a hard time too getting over the type of beatings Metcalf put on him.

Want to know a sure fire way not to win the NCAA tournament? Wrestle Rutgers Style

Molinaro: “People are catching on that you can’t win the NCAA tournament with Iowa-style wrestling. You need to be scoring bonus points.”

What a profound ignorance of wrestling history that man has. Looks like Rutgers hired a moron for a coach.

In the article it mentions that the Rutgers record is 14-3 with it now being 16-3 since it was written. A quick glance at their schedule and I really couldn't believe how soft the Rutgers schedule is. I feel like that has been the case the last few seasons in terms of their dual meet schedule. This season the combined record of the teams they beat are 104-117 (47% win per.). Of those 16 wins, their only wins against teams with winning records are Rider (10-7), Chattanooga (8-6-1), CSUB (8-6), Lehigh(9-7), Harvard (6-5), and Bloomsburg (16-3). With the exception of Bloombsburg and an off-year Lehigh team, none of those wins really blow you away. They're going to be in for a hurting when they start wrestling a regular Big Ten dual meet schedule.

No they won't they'll now have big 10 recruiting in the Mecca area of wrestling, nj, pa, oh being the best corridor for wrestling in the country. Rutgers actually will be a much tougher wrestling as I see it.

Well that's an impressive crystal ball you must have to be able to predict future recruiting classes and their fast development into a competitive dual meet team simply based on the fact that they reside in the state of New Jersey. And since they've been winning EIWA conference championships and producing All-Americans by the handful these past years with pretty impressive recruiting classes mostly of NJ and NY recruits, who could blame you. Now with that established I use indicators like statistics to conclude rational predictors. To add to my previous post their three losses are to Nebraska (currently 5th in Big Ten), Iowa State (9-4, not as bad as they have been in years but still no where near their former selves), and Navy (5-1, not terrible for one of the service academies). Once again not exactly strong indicators that their transition to the Big Ten will be anywhere close to smooth. Now Maryland on the other hand I feel will actually put up a stronger fight in their first year than Rutgers. And this isn't just based on my hopes, wishes, or visions into the future. They have two wins this season over Big Ten opponents (Nebraska, Purdue). While they lose Asper, Alexander, Gentry, Sheptock and Boley will be returning with a couple of guys coming off redshirts.

The dynamics around RU wrestling are changing with the move to the Big10. They've already gotten a commitment from the top kid in the state (and one of the top in the nation), in Ashnault. They've been recruiting fairly well the last couple of years.

I still think they need a proven big name guy on the staff (Molinaro helps, but no track record as a coach), but we'll see.

I wouldn't dismiss RU wrestling because the thin skinned Iowa fans got upset with a comment from a former PSU guy now on the RU staff.

The dynamics around RU wrestling are changing with the move to the Big10. They've already gotten a commitment from the top kid in the state (and one of the top in the nation), in Ashnault. They've been recruiting fairly well the last couple of years.

I still think they need a proven big name guy on the staff (Molinaro helps, but no track record as a coach), but we'll see.

I wouldn't dismiss RU wrestling because the thin skinned Iowa fans got upset with a comment from a former PSU guy now on the RU staff.

Ashnault is a nice guy and he will be good. His brother was almost an AA for Rutgers if it wasnt for a horrible draw.

Anyone know if Winston and Mason will wrestle? Like to see how they do against the Altons as a sign of how they can do in the NCAAs

I wouldn't take Molinaro too seriously, here. I don't believe that this is the first time he's made cracks like this.

Rutgers wrestling could get very exciting in the next few years. It would be good for the sport and the new expanded BiG for them to start to make some noise in Jersey. I wish them well.

I think I may have figured out what he means.

Yes, on its face, it would seem ridiculous to say that about Iowa, as bonus points have been a staple of the program as long as I've followed Iowa wrestling. However, and this is what I think he's seeing: if you compare the PSU style to the traditional Iowa style it would seemingly(key word) appear that Iowa wrestlers don't score much and PSU wrestlers rack up points left and right. This is because the Iowa style, compared to the PSU style, is an in your face, moving forward, brawling style of wrestling. By contrast, the PSU style, especially during the years that Molinaro was there, is characterized by more "free flowing" (poor choice of words, I know), wide open style that scores points in a more "ooh" and "ahh" type of way (think their coach, David Taylor, Ed Ruth, and even Molinaro).

So, it looks like PSU wrestlers are doing so much more to score a lot of points, whereas with the Iowa wrestlers they don't seem to score a lot of points ibecause it isn't as "flashy."

Just my guess, based on how I see the two styles.

Yes, on its face, it would seem ridiculous to say that about Iowa, as bonus points have been a staple of the program as long as I've followed Iowa wrestling. However, and this is what I think he's seeing: if you compare the PSU style to the traditional Iowa style it would seemingly(key word) appear that Iowa wrestlers don't score much and PSU wrestlers rack up points left and right. This is because the Iowa style, compared to the PSU style, is an in your face, moving forward, brawling style of wrestling. By contrast, the PSU style, especially during the years that Molinaro was there, is characterized by more "free flowing" (poor choice of words, I know), wide open style that scores points in a more "ooh" and "ahh" type of way (think their coach, David Taylor, Ed Ruth, and even Molinaro).

So, it looks like PSU wrestlers are doing so much more to score a lot of points, whereas with the Iowa wrestlers they don't seem to score a lot of points ibecause it isn't as "flashy."

I think you are giving him too much credit. He has a grudge against Iowa and likes to take pot shots at them anytime he can. He always acted like a boob when he was going against an Iowa guy and he did it here again. Using Iowa as a reference as a style that does not win NCAA titles is silly and makes him look like a dipstick. The beauty of the best coaches like Brands and Smith and Mark Perry and Cael are you are never going to hear this type of talk out of their mouth, at least in the press, about another program. Molinaro is a meet-head and I have no doubt he is and will be a terrible coach.

I think you are giving him too much credit. He has a grudge against Iowa and likes to take pot shots at them anytime he can. He always acted like a boob when he was going against an Iowa guy and he did it here again. Using Iowa as a reference as a style that does not win NCAA titles is silly and makes him look like a dipstick. The beauty of the best coaches like Brands and Smith and Mark Perry and Cael are you are never going to hear this type of talk out of their mouth, at least in the press, about another program. Molinaro is a meet-head and I have no doubt he is and will be a terrible coach.

No dog in the fight, but I don't know that Perry is the best example of one that goes the strictly-PC route when it comes to media quotes.

“Winning that first championship, especially against my archrival, Johny Hendricks, was pretty special to say the least,” he said. “He had beaten me several times in really close matches, you know, beating me in the high school national finals and then the NCAA finals my freshman year. It felt pretty good to stick it to him his last match because he never wrestled again after that, and I know he loses sleep over that.”

http://www.dailyillini.com/sports/men_s ... f6878.html

No problem with either quote (Perry's or Molinaro's)...probably has more to do with the team/wrestler you support.

Have to agree with Dake regarding Molinaro. Wrestlers like Ruth and Taylor show up very rarely so to act like they are wrestling a "Penn State" style is ridiculous. They are not getting tech falls every match because they are Penn State - they are getting tech falls simply because they are that much better than their opponents. To lay claim to a "Penn State" style based on two freaks is nonsense. Was Megaludis' decision to go into a split and look to the ref for a stall warning against McDonough in OT part of the "Penn State" style? Molinaro should rewatch his "I choose down" video before pontificating about a school's "style".

Wow.....the panties are getting bunched up all over Iowa!

Such a classically empty "rebuttal." Someone says something stupid, they're called out for it, and the people who are doing the calling are called "butt hurt", or accused of "getting their panties in a bunch." Yeah, the fact that people are calling him out for being stupid is the real story, not the actual stupidity.

The Iowa Style that this clown refers to scored bonus points on him in every year except his senior year.

He will be lucky to be a coach anywhere that is relevant to winning championships or even competing for them.

The Iowa Style that this clown refers to scored bonus points on him in every year except his senior year.

He will be lucky to be a coach anywhere that is relevant to winning championships or even competing for them.

You mean that 4X AA, undefeated national champ clown? Yeah, what does he know?