Sign in to follow this  
OtisCampbell

Jersey Shore Style

The Iowa Style that this clown refers to scored bonus points on him in every year except his senior year.

He will be lucky to be a coach anywhere that is relevant to winning championships or even competing for them.

You mean that 4X AA, undefeated national champ clown? Yeah, what does he know?

From these quotes? Not much. ANd I don't need to be a 4 time All American and undefeated national champ to know that.

Because he's unimpressed with how Iowa guys wrestle, he doesn't know much?

Or more specifically, he recognizes PSU's style of scoring bonus points in bunches is the way to go?

He says that people know you can't win NCAA titles wrestling the Iowa style. It's a ridiculous statement. And you know it.

But sure, we can pretend that Penn State came up with the idea of scoring bonus points, and that those crazy twins in Iowa don't even understand the concept. THat makes total sense.

Or more specifically, he recognizes PSU's style of scoring bonus points in bunches is the way to go?

He says that people know you can't win NCAA titles wrestling the Iowa style. It's a ridiculous statement. And you know it.

To be fair, Iowa hasnt exactly wrestled the 'Iowa Style' for the past several years. So, technically the current Iowa Style wont win you an NCAA title.

To be fair, Iowa hasnt exactly wrestled the 'Iowa Style' for the past several years. So, technically the current Iowa Style wont win you an NCAA title.

Iowa won 3 NCAA titles in the last 5 NCAA tournaments.

The Iowa Style that this clown refers to scored bonus points on him in every year except his senior year.

He will be lucky to be a coach anywhere that is relevant to winning championships or even competing for them.

You mean that 4X AA, undefeated national champ clown? Yeah, what does he know?

Whoa. Now who has their panties in a bunch. Molinaro wasn't much more than a wrestling dummy to Metcalf and someone has the guts to whine that the guys following him only tried to 'keep it close'. If that was such a good idea then why didn't the Tank try to 'keep it close' with Metcalf?

Molinaro was marginal at best. He was Chris Bono. Finally won when the weight class was empty.

Not only has Iowa won 3 out of the last 5 NCAA tourneys, they were 3rd in the other two of the last 5. What do you mean they can't win Tank? We'll see where Iowa finishes this year. I'll bet you it's pretty high.

Big_fan-I agree overall Frank isn't an all time great. Marginal at best? He's got the runner up and the title, at, yes, a cleared out weight class. His accolades say better than "marginal at best" but for those who saw him on the mat for FOUR years, saw Metcalf destroy him, yea he's close to marginal. Can't take away the hardware though, that is forever.

Yes, of course we talk about how Dake cleared out to knock of Taylor. Of course that plays. DSJ will be judged on a 4 year career just like everyone else. I'm not about to get into a redundant arguement with you. You're Mopar. You get one chance at an intelligent response and then I quit.

Molinaro has never had any love for Iowa, and Iowa has never had any love for Molinaro. He may have been in a weakened weight class, but he also improved a great deal since taking what 8th place at B1G his freshman year. I think the Jersey comment might be acceptable since he can spout off at the mouth the same way as they are portrayed on TV though.

He wasn't just winning either, he was scoring bonus in many of his matches too. You will think what you want though.

I never said anything about St. John winning anything. But if Molinaro is going to call out 30 years of wrestling then for sure someone can call out 2 years of his wrestling of marginal opponents. Until he dominates anything other than a tanning bed, he hasn't done much. Challenge me with someone that he beat that he was the underdog to.

What Dake did to Molinaro vs Dake's win over St. John are miles apart also.

Say what you want about Frank, but he never wrestled that way against Metcalf.

A match I recall had Molinaro getting penalized for headslapping Metcalf, and later got a stall warning. The match ended with Metcalf running up a pretty good lead before pinning him. Is that what you were referring to?

------

So not winning the title means you don't try to score bonus or that you don't score bonus points? Non sequitur.

If one looks at bonus point production by schools over the past 40 years, undoubtedly, Iowa would have the most. Gable's emphasis on it was legendary. Brands is a disciple of that same philosophy, and while

I don't have the #'s, I would bet that in Brands 5 years, bonus pt production by Iowa at ncaa would be #1.

Looking at the broader picture, it's pretty obvious that Frank's statement was idiotic.

Seriously guys....what top teams do not preach bonus points?? Give credit to the other coaches a little :roll: they realize how the scoring system works??? To say Iowa doesnt preach bonus is also ridiculous.During the Gable era and Beginning of Zalesky era Iowa had multiple guys each year that were bonus point machines. Over the last 5 years it has been mainly Metcalf, McDonough(up until this year), Ramos and Evans(this year). They (currently) as Brands has admitted do not have the fire power currently as Penn State does. (forgot St. John). Penn State has more than Ruth and Taylor that score alot of bonus points (megaludis,Altons,Brown,and wright). That is 7 .guys(granted taylor /ruth put up the most but these other 5 guys put up lots of bonus. But an earlier post by Otis Campbell was a bit "over the top".. Cael probably scored more bonus points in his era than any other wrestler I can ever remember. To suggest he learned it from Iowa was a little silly. He preaches what he did and has the studs to do it. Simple! Brands preaches it but does not have as many putting up the bonus points as Gable did. Not sure why ... btw altons and brown bonus pts have reduced over the last month and a half. Not sure why again??

Molinaro is young and probably could have expressed himself differently. However the sport is changing and there may be some credence to his comments. Anyway, it is unfortunate that many of the posts here are demeaning Molinaro as a person. Guy was a hard worker and improved each year while at PSU. He has positively impacted Rutgers and that is good for wrestling. He was an NCAA Champion.

Bottom line is that the mentality behind many of the posts here are continued evidence that wrestling is a minor sport in the USA...and soon to be nothing more than a cult activity in the world!

I was a big Iowa fan while Gable coached but as a wrestling fan I am glad to see that there is a new sheriff in town. The best thing that could happen to wrestling would be to see Rutgers winning a National Championship. Regardless of what many of the naysayers cry, the guys from Rutgers are battling hard to stand on top of the podium!

Molinaro is young and probably could have expressed himself differently. However the sport is changing and there may be some credence to his comments. Anyway, it is unfortunate that many of the posts here are demeaning Molinaro as a person. Guy was a hard worker and improved each year while at PSU. He has positively impacted Rutgers and that is good for wrestling. He was an NCAA Champion.

Bottom line is that the mentality behind many of the posts here are continued evidence that wrestling is a minor sport in the USA...and soon to be nothing more than a cult activity in the world!

I was a big Iowa fan while Gable coached but as a wrestling fan I am glad to see that there is a new sheriff in town. The best thing that could happen to wrestling would be to see Rutgers winning a National Championship. Regardless of what many of the naysayers cry, the guys from Rutgers are battling hard to stand on top of the podium!

I get what you are saying about Cael having this style at ISU and that he really didn't take this from the Iowa handbook. I agree and he was one of if not the best at racking up the points. I guess what I was trying to say is, when I hear many of his quotes they seem to be a direct derivative, if not verbatim, of one of the many "Iowa Style" Gable quotes I heard a thousand times growing up. Not a knock, just the facts. And who could blame him? I am sure Gable took his mindset and many quotes from the great coaches before him as well. But Cael certainly didn't invent the wheel and Iowa Style is still a winning formula and I would say that PSU is winning becasue they are wrestling in a manner that could be very well called the "Iowa Style". That is going after bonus points, building leads, wrestle hard for 7 minutes, do what you do best and do it a lot.

I think there are principles that almost all great championship coaches have and preach to their teams. If you go back and look at the teams that put together title runs in the last 30 years, Minnesota, Okie State, and Iowa, all of them were wrestling aggressive as a team and putting up a lot of bonus points. I remember watching the Okie State teams during their run and they seemed to be pinning guys left and right even moreso than this PSU team. It is should be no secret that smart aggressive wrestling is fun to watch and wins matches and championships. If your coach is not preaching this "secret" than he should be fired.

That being said from the vast amount of wrestling I have watched and, from the stories I heard from before I started watching, It seems that some coaches actually don't know this secret and or believe it to be true. It has gotten better over the last 20 year I have no doubt it is becasue of two things. Gable forcing everyone to raising the bar and having Iowa Style/Gable coached wrestlers perpetrate the coaching ranks across the country.

So in conclusion it is my belief that by throwing out this Iowa Style quote that Molinaro is either is a douche, trying to be douche, is just plain dumb, or some combination of the three.

I get what you are saying about Cael having this style at ISU and that he really didn't take this from the Iowa handbook. I agree and he was one of if not the best at racking up the points. I guess what I was trying to say is, when I hear many of his quotes they seem to be a direct derivative, if not verbatim, of one of the many "Iowa Style" Gable quotes I heard a thousand times growing up. Not a knock, just the facts. And who could blame him? I am sure Gable took his mindset and many quotes from the great coaches before him as well. But Cael certainly didn't invent the wheel and Iowa Style is still a winning formula and I would say that PSU is winning becasue they are wrestling in a manner that could be very well called the "Iowa Style". That is going after bonus points, building leads, wrestle hard for 7 minutes, do what you do best and do it a lot.

I think there are principles that almost all great championship coaches have and preach to their teams. If you go back and look at the teams that put together title runs in the last 30 years, Minnesota, Okie State, and Iowa, all of them were wrestling aggressive as a team and putting up a lot of bonus points. I remember watching the Okie State teams during their run and they seemed to be pinning guys left and right even moreso than this PSU team. It is should be no secret that smart aggressive wrestling is fun to watch and wins matches and championships. If your coach is not preaching this "secret" than he should be fired.

That being said from the vast amount of wrestling I have watched and, from the stories I heard from before I started watching, It seems that some coaches actually don't know this secret and or believe it to be true. It has gotten better over the last 20 year I have no doubt it is becasue of two things. Gable forcing everyone to raising the bar and having Iowa Style/Gable coached wrestlers perpetrate the coaching ranks across the country.

So in conclusion it is my belief that by throwing out this Iowa Style quote that Molinaro is either is a douche, trying to be douche, is just plain dumb, or some combination of the three. i i Dan Gable is the greatest coach who has ever lived in any sport. I get what you are saying and have to give credit where credit is due to the point where Gable was truly obsessed with talking about bonus points. I guess my main point(and i think from your post you would agree) is that Cael took it to a whole different level of scoring points. It would be really cool to see a stat on the amount of points Cael racked up and compare that to the other great wrestlers.. Any statisticians out there???? The other thing that differentiated Cael was his Heavy hands with very fluid (made it look easy) technique.. And some of the current PSU wrestlers are buying in to that very fun style. Not at all saying the Gable trained athletes didn't have very good technique..But maybe an analogy may be that if PSU (style) and IOWA (style) wrestlers were locked in a room... the iowa wrestlers would run through the tables and chairs and run right through the wall and the PSU wrestlers would run through the tables and chairs but walk through the door.

Lets be fair, Molinario was a little better than a marginal wrestler. Now as far as a human being, I would say it is safe to say he is marginal.

Marginal human being, because he said something you don't like about a style of wrestling? Wow, talk about a lack of perspective.

Lets be fair, Molinario was a little better than a marginal wrestler. Now as far as a human being, I would say it is safe to say he is marginal.

Marginal human being, because he said something you don't like about a style of wrestling? Wow, talk about a lack of perspective.

not really the only thing I am basing this on.

Looks like Molinaro had the Iowa style pegged pretty well :lol:

As I posted in Ness vs Oliver thread....

A mediocre Molinaro beat Ness 4x (TF,MD,Dec,Dec) and the great Oliver struggled with him.... styles boys just styles :lol:

Can we stop calling Molinaro mediocre? Undefeated National champ, also a 4x AA. Not marginal or mediocre. More like very very good. Maybe not an all-time great, but still very good.

Now, is he also an over-tanned, underread guido who says dumb stuff? Probably.

That's a more than fair assessment imo.