Sign in to follow this  
OtisCampbell

Jersey Shore Style

Looks like Molinaro had the Iowa style pegged pretty well :lol:

Penn State fans don't really have any room to talk this weekend.

I am a wrestling fan, and a Penn State fan. Look at the title of the thread you are commenting in. Someone left the door open Vak.

Looks like Molinaro had the Iowa style pegged pretty well :lol:

Penn State fans don't really have any room to talk this weekend.

I am a wrestling fan, and a Penn State fan. Look at the title of the thread you are commenting in. Someone left the door open Vak.

I know exactly the title of the thread. It's not really applicable. Maybe you meant the subject of the thread? I didn't mean, and I understand I phrased this poorly, that Penn State has no room to talk about wins or losses on this weekend while they're skipping this event. Obviously they're free to defend their boy Molinaro.

I'm not going to search but it's probably safe to assume Iowa fans participated in threads in 2011. I think Hurricane's comments were over the top, but kinda goes with the theme of this thread imo.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if this was exactly the fire Iowa needed prior to March.

Anyone who calls ANY D1 national champ "mediocre", knows nothing about the sport. To call an undefeated national champ out of the Big 10 "mediocre", knows nothing about, well, anything.

4X AA, 2 finals appearances, including a title. Say what you will out of anger, but don't embarrass yourself by calling that career mediocre.

In anything I've ever said about Molinaro I've always said the career on paper is pretty solid. Hardware is forever and no one can ever take that from anyone. Resume isn't the end all though. If you just go off of career resume where would Jordan Burroughs be all time? I can think of two 3 time champs and at least one 2 time champ with two runner ups in the last ten years that Burroughs was better than at their respective peaks. But career wise they've got Burroughs beat. Career numbers count but the eye test counts too. Guys wrestle different sets of competition, at different weights, different strengths of schedule, etc. You have to go off of what you saw on the mat as well as how many titles and AA's a guy has as well. But certainly Molinaro had a fine career on paper, no question.

In anything I've ever said about Molinaro I've always said the career on paper is pretty solid. Hardware is forever and no one can ever take that from anyone. Resume isn't the end all though. If you just go off of career resume where would Jordan Burroughs be all time? I can think of two 3 time champs and at least one 2 time champ with two runner ups in the last ten years that Burroughs was better than at their respective peaks. But career wise they've got Burroughs beat. Career numbers count but the eye test counts too. Guys wrestle different sets of competition, at different weights, different strengths of schedule, etc. You have to go off of what you saw on the mat as well as how many titles and AA's a guy has as well. But certainly Molinaro had a fine career on paper, no question.

Good post. McD's freshman year NCAA bracket was so incredibly weak it should probably be discounted all together; it certainly wouldn't pass an objective "eye test".

DJ-I don't get the joke and I can't remember off hand but I don't think McD's freshman year was weak. Anyone feel free to correct me but didn't that bracket have McD, Long, Escobedo, Nickerson (hurt), Sanders, and Robles? That's not weak to me but strength of a bracket is certainly objective.

If you don't believe in my "eye test" and only believe in resume then I ask you to go look at where Burroughs would rank all time. Do you guys really think every three time champ was better than Burroughs at their respective peaks? If you do that's fine but that's not how I look at it. One of my favorite wrestlers all time is Steve Mocco. He has a better career resume than Burroughs. In my objective "eye test" opinion Jordan Burroughs was better at his peak in college than Steve Mocco was. Mocco has the better career. Burroughs was better. "Eye test" plays. If you don't agree then cool, just look at stats and accolades only.

He didn't have a good career on paper, he had one (actually far better than good) on the mat. 4X AA, 2X finalist, including an undefeated national championship season. That's not on paper, my man. That's running the table in the Big Ten, and in the national tournament.

If the criteria for being better than mediocre is being better than Jordan Burroughs, you can count on one hand how many American wrestlers have been better than mediocre.

I didn't say the standard for being better than mediocre is being better than Jordan Burroughs. I agree with YOUR statement that we can count the people better than Burroughs on one hand. However, do you know how many have better collegiate accomplishments than Burroughs? Way more than you can count on one hand. That doesn't mean they were better on the mat.

Just to be accurate: the word used to describe Molinaro was not "mediocre" -- it was "marginal." And it was applied to him as both a wrestler and a human being.

Carry on.

Just to be accurate: the word used to describe Molinaro was not "mediocre" -- it was "marginal." And it was applied to him as both a wrestler and a human being.

Carry on.

I don't know him as a human being, and I doubt anyone here does either. Marginal in reference to his collegiate career is not only incorrect, but shows lack of knowledge, case of the hater syndrome, or/and tendencies to troll. Also by way of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon you are saying that Jordan Oliver is also marginal.

I don't care how partisan a fan you are, you've got to give a 4 time AA, undefeated National Champ his proper due, or else you're tearing down the sport you love.

How many times have you been in the stands at Nationals, and there's 12 people cheering some kid who's out after 2 matches. And he showers up, and joins his family in the stands to watch the rest of the championships, and he's just an out-standing student athlete.

Let's no lose perspective here, so that it poisons the whole sport.