Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Myles Martin

I didn't think anyone was beating Gabe Dean last year. Even if Myles was looking this good last year, I'd still show deference to Dean.

By this time last year Dean was 18-0 with 13falls, 1TF, 3MD, and a 7-2 Dec. over Nolan Boyd. He also had won the Scuffle and Vegas. 

Myles is 19-0 with all but two being by MD or more (Abounader and Bryce Carr). So far, he's wrestled the same kind of schedule with a few opponents ranked in the top 20-25 according to wrestlestat.com

Dean was on a mission of dominance last year, and I don't think Myles is on that kind of mission. Specifically, I wasn't too impressed with his match management against Minnesota - He spent a lot of time on top not looking too busy. 

I'm excited to see Myles get challenged again. It always seemed like Abounader had his number until this year in Vegas. I'm excited to see the rematch in February - a week after he faces Nickal and a week before he faces Renda. 

I might change my answer on the topic Dean after seeing the rest of Myles' regular season. In hindsight, Dean's senior year looks like he didn't wrestle a B1G schedule. Of top 10 opponents, he beat Boyd 3x, Myles by Dec. 10-5, and Dechow in tie breakers, whereas Nickal beat 8 different top 10 guys last year. 

Until Dean's unusually timid finals effort, he looked unbeatable.  I'd still favor him over Martin.  Comparing Martin v Dean vs Martin v Nickal is silly.  By that logic, we can conclude Dom Abounader might have upset Gabe Dean.  

Don't forget that NCAA match against Dechow that went to rideouts, he could have very easily lost that one.  Dean wasn't firing on all cylinders at NCAA, then looked not himself at the US Open in freestyle.  Then he had another rough freestyle touney (WTT?) and switched to Greco.  I don't know what happened in March and April but it wasn't the Gabe Dean that we previously saw...

Don't forget that NCAA match against Dechow that went to rideouts, he could have very easily lost that one.  Dean wasn't firing on all cylinders at NCAA, then looked not himself at the US Open in freestyle.  Then he had another rough freestyle touney (WTT?) and switched to Greco.  I don't know what happened in March and April but it wasn't the Gabe Dean that we previously saw...

He had some personal things going on

He has retied from competition and is focused on coaching