Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Freshmen Ineligibility

What was with the period of time where Freshmen were not allowed to compete varsity? Why was this? Was it just with wrestling or all sports? Did high school and college both correspond with one another? When one changed to allow freshmen to compete did the other? I never have quite understood the theory or purpose behind this. I've researched it and found very little information. Can anyone fill me on on the why? Also, who or what change it so that Freshmen at both the college and high school level could start competing in varsity competition?

Thanks.

Check this. Answers most of your questions.

http://askville.amazon.com/year-NCAA-freshmen-play/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=10382567

As to redshirting, this had to have come about after the NCAA rulled that student athletes had five years to complete four years of eligibility.

Back in the day of freshman ineligibility most football and basketball programs had freshman teams, so it wasn't the case that they didn't play and practice regularly.

Check this. Answers most of your questions.

http://askville.amazon.com/year-NCAA-freshmen-play/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=10382567

As to redshirting, this had to have come about after the NCAA rulled that student athletes had five years to complete four years of eligibility.

Back in the day of freshman ineligibility most football and basketball programs had freshman teams, so it wasn't the case that they didn't play and practice regularly.

Thanks Carp that was very insightful and very helpful. Very interesting too.

^^^I recall freshmen were ineligible for NCAA varsity competition the 1950's into late 1960's, but NCAA rules did allow small-enrollment colleges to wrestle freshman on their varsities, but those wrestlers could only compete in the NCAA tournament three times. The NCAA rules back then, however, did allow frosh to compete, if the college had male enrollment of under 900 students or whatever.

Perhaps the NCAA thought holding frosh out would allow them to adjust to college academics better. Anyway, freshman did compete in opens (like the Wilkes) and the EIWA, for example, had a freshmen only tournament. If you want to go back to the 1950's/1960's NCAA Wrestling Guides, which are the most fabulous, complete historical source for that period, you probably could find results for the EIWA freshmen tournaments.

^^^I recall freshmen were ineligible for NCAA varsity competition the 1950's into late 1960's, but NCAA rules did allow small-enrollment colleges to wrestle freshman on their varsities, but those wrestlers could only compete in the NCAA tournament three times. The NCAA rules back then, however, did allow frosh to compete, if the college had male enrollment of under 900 students or whatever.

Perhaps the NCAA thought holding frosh out would allow them to adjust to college academics better. Anyway, freshman did compete in opens (like the Wilkes) and the EIWA, for example, had a freshmen only tournament. If you want to go back to the 1950's/1960's NCAA Wrestling Guides, which are the most fabulous, complete historical source for that period, you probably could find results for the EIWA freshmen tournaments.

Thanks Stove Pipe. I appreciate the information.

Dick Hutton came close to being the first 4-time champ in the late 40s. He lost a referee's decision to Verne Gagne in the hwt. Match.

Gary Breece of OU was the first freshman AA in d1 wrestling in 1971, who became a 4-time AA.

^^^I saw Tom Milkovich place in the 1970 NCAA's out at Northwestern. I think Tom was a freshman that year. Don't know for sure who was the first frosh AA after the rules changed back to freshman eligibility around 1969'ish. Getting old.

Stove Pipe and Big Apple....hate to correct either of you gentlemen, but Carl Adams placed as a true freshman in 1969. I believe he is the first freshman to place after the freshman ban was lifted. BTW 67-68 season allowed freshman to compete in NCAA tourney, except those in the east coast. Ban on on east coast was lifted during 69-70 season.

My freshman year 1970-71 was the last year that freshman were not able to compete at the varsity level, at least in the Ivy League. We competed on a freshman team and wrestled in the Navy plebe tournament. Many teams like Lehigh and Navy, all the Ivies and other strong teams wrestled in the plebe tournament.

Supposedly over 10000 would show up to see Pete Maravich at LSU in freshman games, and fewer than 2000 would stick around for the varsity. Also, it's said that the Lew Alcindor led freshman team could beat the NCAA champ varsity at UCLA. These examples, and others, probably contributed to freshmen becoming eligible again.

The NCAA introduced Freshman eligibility during World War II since most of the male students were off fighting or working in the war effort. In the 1947 there were five freshman champs, although only two were straight from high school. In 1948 the rule was modified so that only wrestler who had been in the service were able to compete as freshmen.

Freshmen eligibility was completely banned at large schools by the mid-50's. However, smaller schools continued to use freshmen until the early 60's. Both Gray Simons and Bucky Maughan wrestled as freshman. Simons was able to compete in the NCAAs his last three years, while Maughan was not allowed in the tournament as a senior. I am not sure why, but I think Lock Haven was just under the enrollment cut off and Moorehead just over.

In January 1969 the NCAA immediately allowed freshmen eligibility for all D-I sports except football and basketball. ISU put freshman Carl Adams in its lineup and he became the first freshman AA of the new era. Some eastern schools were slow to follow and it was not until 1971 that the EIWA let them wrestle in its tournament.

In 1969 Larry Owings was a freshman at Washington, but he did not wrestle in the duals or the PAC-10 tournament. This was pre qualification and Owings won two bouts at 130 at the NCAA tournament before losing 14-12 to Reed Lamphere of Minnesota in the quarters.

I do not think the old guides have the Army plebe tournament results. The AWNs often had them.