RetiredPoster

When is the AD at Wisconsin going to clean house?

Ben Askren said UW and Mizzou are the only 2 D1 jobs that he would consider.  I'd like the Tigers to get him when Smith is done, but UW needs him bad.

Let him go to Wisconsin then, but he's not ready for Mizzou. I like Ben, but you don't just insert an unproven guy who likes to trash-talk, and has zero head coaching experience at the helm of a top 10 (5) program.

Let him go to Wisconsin then, but he's not ready for Mizzou. I like Ben, but you don't just insert an unproven guy who likes to trash-talk, and has zero head coaching experience at the helm of a top 10 (5) program.

So you think ISU made a mistake hiring Sanderson with no head coaching experience?  Or Dresser at VT?  Askren coached a year at Mizzou and a year at ASU.  With an experienced co-head or head assistant like Clemson, Johnston, or someone similar, I think he'd be fine.  He knows how to market and would recruit well, in addition to being a great tactical coach.  Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Snyder, all those guys will not need to HEAD coach somewhere before taking over a top program.  Mizzou would be stupid to pass on him if Smith decided to move on or hang it up.

No way he would get the head coaching job without first being an assistant at Mizzou or a head coach somewhere else.

They could bring him in as an assistant and say if all goes well, Smith will retire in 5 years and the job will be yours

So you think ISU made a mistake hiring Sanderson with no head coaching experience?  Or Dresser at VT?  Askren coached a year at Mizzou and a year at ASU.  With an experienced co-head or head assistant like Clemson, Johnston, or someone similar, I think he'd be fine.  He knows how to market and would recruit well, in addition to being a great tactical coach.  Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Snyder, all those guys will not need to HEAD coach somewhere before taking over a top program.  Mizzou would be stupid to pass on him if Smith decided to move on or hang it up.

Askren is not Cael.  He's nowhere near as technical, and Cael was an assistant for 3 years at ISU before taking over.  VT was 1-16 the year before Dresser took over, hardly comparable to Mizzou.

Now, it's senseless to argue about how a coach might do if he got a shot, but currently Askren does not have the resume to take over a top level program.

Might I offer up the suggestion of Mark Cody as Head Coach? Maybe he can do for Wisconsin what he did for OU!

Cody stole two Badgers who were already All Americans (Andrew Howe - 1st, 2nd, 3rd) and Travis Rutt (7th) and got a 2nd from Howe and a DNP from Rutt their Senior Years. There is ZERO chance of Mark Cody will ever become the Badger Coach.

Askren is not Cael.  He's nowhere near as technical, and Cael was an assistant for 3 years at ISU before taking over.  VT was 1-16 the year before Dresser took over, hardly comparable to Mizzou.

Now, it's senseless to argue about how a coach might do if he got a shot, but currently Askren does not have the resume to take over a top level program.

Where is your HWT this year Myers

Where is your HWT this year Myers

That's a mystery, nobody seems to know what's up.  He finished last year wrestling well, but he's been pretty mediocre so far this season.  They've had a couple different guys filling in for him over the last few weeks.  Maybe Smith's trying to find the best fit, or maybe there's internal or personal stuff going on, or maybe he's injured.  Who knows.  MacTruck has been uncharacteristically silent so far this year, otherwise I'd say ask him.

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Edited by KCMO2

Cody stole two Badgers who were already All Americans (Andrew Howe - 1st, 2nd, 3rd) and Travis Rutt (7th) and got a 2nd from Howe and a DNP from Rutt their Senior Years. There is ZERO chance of Mark Cody will ever become the Badger Coach.

Cody is the new coach at the school that just added D1 wrestling. So I don't think he is available.

Guys, remember that Tobus is a Sooner. He was clearly suggesting Cody as a joke.

Ben will never be at UW as long as Alvarez is there. Ben burned the same bridges that Donnie did.

Lil Barry has Big Barry's 100% support.

Using instate wrestlers and second tier Illinois hasn't worked well. St.Paris recruits seem to be running dry.

The best head coaches are all about their kids selfless.  I may be wrong, but it sure seems like Ben Askren is all about… Ben Askren.  That may change as he is no longer competing.  If/when it does I think he could make a great head coach someday.

Edited by matts1w

Askren is not Cael. He's nowhere near as technical, and Cael was an assistant for 3 years at ISU before taking over. VT was 1-16 the year before Dresser took over, hardly comparable to Mizzou.

Askren is very technical with his funk series. Ask Jake Herbert!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk