RetiredPoster

When is the AD at Wisconsin going to clean house?

Let him go to Wisconsin then, but he's not ready for Mizzou. I like Ben, but you don't just insert an unproven guy who likes to trash-talk, and has zero head coaching experience at the helm of a top 10 (5) program.

He could make Wisconsin the Utah Valley of the MidWest.

The best head coaches are all about their kids selfless.  I may be wrong, but it sure seems like Ben Askren is all about… Ben Askren.  That may change as he is no longer competing.  If/when it does I think he could make a great head coach someday.

Don't judge his coaching based on him hyping himself. It built his brand and made him famous (compared to almost all wrestlers). He was able to turn that into an extremely lucrative MMA career as well, along with a successful club that recently opened new locations. 

He listens to people and values coaching. Listen to him talk about Coach Smith. He will be an excellent recruiter and would be a good choice for head coach, but he needs some more D1 coaching experience first. 

The best head coaches are all about their kids selfless.  I may be wrong, but it sure seems like Ben Askren is all about… Ben Askren.  That may change as he is no longer competing.  If/when it does I think he could make a great head coach someday.

Ben is very well regarded in Wisconsin.  He IS youth and club wrestling in that state.  Even as a high schooler, he would drive into Milwaukee and help out with the wrestling programs in the underserved Milwaukee public schools.

I think Askren would be a good fit, and he would be a tremendous head coach. His club is pumping out some solid kids so he is well networked in the area. Especially if Max were to take over their camp system. He's also a huge name between wrestling and MMA, a I cant imagine a school wouldnt like that. 

Davis had a kid like Zeke Jordan and not only couldnt get the most out of him, but he also couldnt keep him around to coach. Thats bad. 

No matter whos next, I agree that the house needs cleaned. 

Ben is very well regarded in Wisconsin. He IS youth and club wrestling in that state. Even as a high schooler, he would drive into Milwaukee and help out with the wrestling programs in the underserved Milwaukee public schools.

Well by some he is well regarded, but a lot of parents would not send their kids to his camps because of the perception that it was going to be a big goofing around session.

Doesn't matter what majority think, only matters what big Barry thinks, and he only wants a wrestling coach that won't embarrass him...

I think Askren would be a good fit, and he would be a tremendous head coach. His club is pumping out some solid kids so he is well networked in the area. Especially if Max were to take over their camp system. He's also a huge name between wrestling and MMA, a I cant imagine a school wouldnt like that.

Davis had a kid like Zeke Jordan and not only couldnt get the most out of him, but he also couldnt keep him around to coach. Thats bad.

No matter whos next, I agree that the house needs cleaned.

I'm not a Barry apologizer, but if I remember correctly, isaac was a 4x all american, and beat his more highly regarded cousin 3x. By your definition i guess Tom Ryan is a coaching failure since the more highly regarded Bo has not performed to expectaions.

I do think they should of tried to keep zeke.. don't know the story there.

Edited by tbert

I'm not a Barry apologizer, but if I remember correctly, isaac was a 4x all american, and beat his more highly regarded cousin 3x. By your definition i guess Tom Ryan is a coaching failure since the more highly regarded Bo has not performed to expectaions.

I do think they should of tried to keep zeke.. don't know the story there.

I get what you're saying/ the point your making, but I dont agree. I do see where you're coming from though. 

I guess in regard to the comparison you made - The way I see it where Tom hasnt gotten Bo to the top, he has a slew of others within the same time frame who have met, or exceeded expectations by a significant amount. Where as Wisconsin has been riddled in recent history by under-performance. Zeke has been their most recent standout, and had a fantastic career, but was more talented (imo) than the results he came away with reflect. This is to my memory as a general fan. Wisconsin fans surely know better and will probably correct me, I hope! 

I get what you're saying/ the point your making, but I dont agree. I do see where you're coming from though. 

I guess in regard to the comparison you made - The way I see it where Tom hasnt gotten Bo to the top, he has a slew of others within the same time frame who have met, or exceeded expectations by a significant amount. Where as Wisconsin has been riddled in recent history by under-performance. Zeke has been their most recent standout, and had a fantastic career, but was more talented (imo) than the results he came away with reflect. This is to my memory as a general fan. Wisconsin fans surely know better and will probably correct me, I hope! 

It looks like he was the #27 ranked recruit in 2012 and he had a better career than a few guys ranked ahead of him. Based on recruiting rankings I'd say he panned out as expected if not better.

Also not trying to be a Barry defender but I think Jordan is a bad example to use.

Well by some he is well regarded, but a lot of parents would not send their kids to his camps because of the perception that it was going to be a big goofing around session.

Doesn't matter what majority think, only matters what big Barry thinks, and he only wants a wrestling coach that won't embarrass him...

I agree that it only matters what Big Barry thinks.  Davis runs a clean program, the athletes do a lot of community service and get good grades, the team finishes top 25 with an AA or two almost every year.  That is good enough for Alvarez.

On the point about a lot of parents thinking Askren's camps are a big joke, I haven't heard any of that talk.  I don't doubt there might be some parents who think that, but it would be a small minority.

I agree that it only matters what Big Barry thinks. Davis runs a clean program, the athletes do a lot of community service and get good grades, the team finishes top 25 with an AA or two almost every year. That is good enough for Alvarez.

On the point about a lot of parents thinking Askren's camps are a big joke, I haven't heard any of that talk. I don't doubt there might be some parents who think that, but it would be a small minority.

Being a wisconsin parent in a nearby area, I have heard this among parents i have spoken with. I think it is more of a perception thing, bsed on Ben's personna,but if your going to shell out money for camp, perception becomes reality.

I agree that it only matters what Big Barry thinks.  Davis runs a clean program, the athletes do a lot of community service and get good grades, the team finishes top 25 with an AA or two almost every year.  That is good enough for Alvarez.

On the point about a lot of parents thinking Askren's camps are a big joke, I haven't heard any of that talk.  I don't doubt there might be some parents who think that, but it would be a small minority.

My guess is these parents fall under the category that Ben does not like.  He and Tommy Rowlands have talked about this numerous occasions how some parents are just so into wins/losses at younger ages.  Ben is big proponent of finding joy/fun in the sport at a younger age, learning body movement/technique and not wrestling 50 matches a year/burning out.  You do not have to worry about wins/losses until at least Jr. High is T-Row and Funky's opinion.  

If I were a parent I'd send my kids to Askren's camps.  He looks like he has a lot of fun with wrestling and teches some good technique in a good atmosphere.  Not every wrestling camp has to be like an Iowa intensive camp or J. Robinson or something.  Save that for high school or something, just let the kids have fun with wrestling and learning.  If you're concerned about wins and losses before your kids hit double digits in age then that's a problem.  

There is no excuse as to why the Badgers are in bad shape.  i think they need a new staff.  Great school, great city, facilities, tradition, a very good home-state to recruit...It baffles me.  I say Davis is done after this year.

Who are all the great in state wrestlers that are tearing up the NCAA, Dierringer is just one, frankly I see a lot of the top in state have little success at the DI level

Edited by whyme25

It looks like he was the #27 ranked recruit in 2012 and he had a better career than a few guys ranked ahead of him. Based on recruiting rankings I'd say he panned out as expected if not better.

Also not trying to be a Barry defender but I think Jordan is a bad example to use.

Right - fair enough. I grew up wrestling Isaac (never ran into him in HS luckily) and always knew he was underrated as far as rankings and stuff go - so I think I have a different view on his talent and what he was capable of to a degree. 

If I were a parent I'd send my kids to Askren's camps. He looks like he has a lot of fun with wrestling and teches some good technique in a good atmosphere. Not every wrestling camp has to be like an Iowa intensive camp or J. Robinson or something. Save that for high school or something, just let the kids have fun with wrestling and learning. If you're concerned about wins and losses before your kids hit double digits in age then that's a problem.

I would too, because I get his style. Some don't. Regardless he will never be the wisconsin coach as long as Alvarez is AD...also Barry davis comes cheap as far as B10 coaches.

Ben will never be at UW as long as Alvarez is there. Ben burned the same bridges that Donnie did.

Lil Barry has Big Barry's 100% support.

Using instate wrestlers and second tier Illinois hasn't worked well. St.Paris recruits seem to be running dry.

Edited by BadgerMon