WrestlingFan89

Gross vs Meredith Thursday night

Nata Carr and Jim Zalesky wrestled in a dual with Jim winning handily. I don't know if he was ranked number one at the time but he did win the NCAA championship at 158 that year while Nate won the 150 lb. weight class.

February 1982.

AWN rankings that week...11 of the 20 projected starters for that dual were ranked #3 or higher in their regular weight class.

118: #1 Barry Davis

126: #2 Joe Gibbons, #3 Mark Trizzino -- Gibbons didn't wrestle (virus), Trizzino beat the backup

134: #1 Jim Gibbons

142: #2 Lenny Zalesky

150: #2 Nate Carr (bumped to 158 to face Jimmy Z)

158: #2 Jim Zalesky

177: #2 Ed Banach, #3 Perry Hummel

190: #2 Mike Mann

HWT: #2 Lou Banach

Probably illegal but that would be AWESOME

I find it interesting that folks (including myself), across so many industries and verticals, use this one word incorrectly... "illegal".  We're ALL guilty of it!

So... if Gross started the dual at 141, and then ended it at 133, would any laws be broken?  Would anyone go to jail/prison?  Nah... it's just against a rule/regulation, put together by an agency that has zero law enforcement capabilities.  Now, if they violated rights along the way.. different story... someone's in trouble... 

Fun times... 

I find it interesting that folks (including myself), across so many industries and verticals, use this one word incorrectly... "illegal".  We're ALL guilty of it!

So... if Gross started the dual at 141, and then ended it at 133, would any laws be broken?  Would anyone go to jail/prison?  Nah... it's just against a rule/regulation, put together by an agency that has zero law enforcement capabilities.  Now, if they violated rights along the way.. different story... someone's in trouble... 

Fun times... 

If you are going to be pedantic, at least be correct:

Definition of illegal
not according to or authorized by law unlawfulillicitalso not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)

For the historians out there.... when was the last time two number 1's in different weight classes wrestled in a dual?

Here is a memory from my freshman year at LU.  This doesn't quite meet the criteria as Bennet was never ranked #1 at 150 (Yagla was #1 all year) but Lehigh's Mike Frick the 1975 NCAA champ at 134 (would win in 76 also) bumped up 2 weights to 150 in the Yale dual to wrestle Jim Bennet who had won NCAAs at 142 in 1975.  Bennet stayed at 150 all that year and finished 4th at nationals (top 3 were Yagla, Galea, & Churella).  Mike beat him handily - it wasn't close at all - and Mike looked really tiny next to Bennet.

The Jantzen Tirapelle match underscored that the current rules regarding weight loss percentage (which are great rules overall) make these kinds of of matchups less meaningful.  If Gross, who spent a season at 141, were allowed to weigh in at or close to 141 the matchup would be really interesting.  It's tough to see Gross weighing in at 133 and coming out on top.

I think its a solid paddlin' for Gross if he is at 133 versus Bridges.

I think Gross wins a tight one if he's up at 141 versus Meredith. 

In any case I'm a huge fan of Gross, and Meredith is growing on me. I've always appreciated the talent, but he seems to be a very intelligent, humble guy. Love me a good under dog story... that being said, still not picking him in March. 

**Edit: specified opponents**

Edited by iGranby

I doubt Gross gets paddles. He is too elusive. I could see Meredith winning without doubt, but can’t see him better than 3 or 4 points against Gross. He doesn’t wrestle the kind of style that will do more against an elite guy. Maybe the weight really matters that much, though. I’m eager to see.

Yianni in March.

I doubt Gross gets paddles. He is too elusive. I could see Meredith winning without doubt, but can’t see him better than 3 or 4 points against Gross. He doesn’t wrestle the kind of style that will do more against an elite guy. Maybe the weight really matters that much, though. I’m eager to see.

Yianni in March.

Ah, I'm sorry - I meant Gross would give out a paddlin' if he wrestles 133 versus Bridges.

If you are going to be pedantic, at least be correct:

Definition of illegal
not according to or authorized by law unlawfulillicitalso not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)

But it's so much more fun to push the topic a wee bit further into... well... areas that draw additional responses... like the one above.  

I also like it when someone at work says... hey... don't write that email, it would be illegal (when clearly, it's just a simple violation of a company's policy, or is just in bad taste, and no one's doing something "unlawful".  

Here is a memory from my freshman year at LU.  This doesn't quite meet the criteria as Bennet was never ranked #1 at 150 (Yagla was #1 all year) but Lehigh's Mike Frick the 1975 NCAA champ at 134 (would win in 76 also) bumped up 2 weights to 150 in the Yale dual to wrestle Jim Bennet who had won NCAAs at 142 in 1975.  Bennet stayed at 150 all that year and finished 4th at nationals (top 3 were Yagla, Galea, & Churella).  Mike beat him handily - it wasn't close at all - and Mike looked really tiny next to Bennet.

Frick also wrestled up at 150 for Midlands that year where he beat Churella 7-1 in the semis and lost 4-3 to Galea in the finals. Yalga took 3rd in the bracket avenging his earlier loss to Churella.

I hope flo holds up for my better half, sick kid so she has to stay home and watch...  

Me, I'll be in our second row seats behind Bono for this.   I don't think there is a better view.

Good for wrestling and these two programs/coaches for being open to this... We're just fortunate enough to watch!

Edited by stchrist

... what about the guy who has trained his as* off and gets to sit out ....

Coaches need to show allegiance to their athletes- no matter what- if they want it in return....

You might have a little point here...but I gotta say hats off to the coaches for making this happen and truly building some excitement....many coaches could take note....not only giving the people the matchup, but ending at the proper weight as well

... what about the guy who has trained his as* off and gets to sit out ....

Coaches need to show allegiance to their athletes- no matter what- if they want it in return....

The guy who trained is ass off to get pinned in front of the home crowd. This is good for two small programs it will like double the viewers of this dual.

The guy who trained is ass off to get pinned in front of the home crowd. This is good for two small programs it will like double the viewers of this dual.

..... and it will double the number of potential recruits that go somewhere else so they don't get thrown under the bus for publicity. Great point Richard.....

..... and it will double the number of potential recruits that go somewhere else so they don't get thrown under the bus for publicity. Great point Richard.....

That’s a nice opinion. Maybe you have a personal story you’d like to share?