MadMardigain

Final X: New World Team Trials setup.

I'll say the same thing I've said before, we've got to get wrestling off of these small scale pay-per-view events and on to ESPN or NBC sports where regular people can see it. If you want to be taken seriously, why marginalize yourself? 

Flo isn't ppv its a subscription model.

but what is more interesting to me is that you also point out that espn has wrestling events, then say we need to get wrestling on espn. it's already there! NBC has wrestling too! they don't promote it, nor do they broadcast it during times when "regular people" are tuning in. wrestling has mainstream media partners, and they've done as much as they're going to do with the sport. 

ESPN also isn't bidding on or picking up an extra wrestling events. they stream MAC and ACC content because they have deals with those conferences. those deals basically give away "tertiary" sports in exchange for football and basketball media rights. the MAC and ACC wrestling matches that espn3 streams are produced by the schools, espn spends no money on the production or broadcast. if ESPN, or NBC, or Fox, et al, wanted to spend more money on wrestling and broadcast more of the sport to the masses, they could and would. but they don't want to, so they don't!

I work for Flo so take my non-objective opinion for what's its worth but I think Flo investing in the schools, teams and the sport is a good thing. I understand if you, or anyone else, does not think our product is worth your money. our job is to keep getting better until you are convinced it is and we will keep working until that happens! 

I guess I would say you need to work harder and faster.  The interruption in the feed has been a complaint for years.  I don't have the answers as I don't know about this stuff, but it seems like Flo needs greater bandwidth or headroom or whatever you want to call it that can handle all the people wanting to watch.  It won't be needed everyday, but will for the event, but that is what people are paying for.  They want to see the event, not see a minute and then be cut off due to lack of bandwidth or whatever it is that is keeping Flo from streaming it live continually and consistently.  Fix that and there won't be complaints and you will get more subscribers.  It is called investment in your business. 

Yes, it should be a pretty simple fix.  Spend the money to increase the quality of the service. 

mspart

I'm not the guy to answers the technical stuff but I do know the solution is not as easy as adding more bandwidth. we have a good idea of how many people will be tuning in to each event and have more than enough bandwidth. every event and every venue brings numerous technical difficulties, many completely unforeseen. if all it took was a single purchase to avoid the problem then it wouldn't be a problem anymore. 

but working harder and faster remains the goal. we shall continue keep trying to work harder, faster and better!

The topic of this post is "Final X" (I feel goofy typing that). You knew what I was referring to when I was talking about getting wrestling on ESPN/NBC. I would like to see events such as the WTT, US Open, and this year's X-Treme Championships on a real network. These networks have broadcast these events in the past and want wrestling but are not willing to outbid Flo. 

Since Flo's rise, high school participation numbers have gone down more than they've gone up. Do I think Flo is responsible? Heck no! But stop talking like you guys are performing some sort of charity or growing the sport. You're a business. You need us more then we need you. It's been ten years and there is no link between Flo's emergence and increased participation or growth of the sport. 

My point is, USA Wrestling is losing the opportunity for future growth by relegating themselves to services such as Flo, that only cater to people that are already hardcore fans. The average wrestler already has ESPN and NBC Sports but is not willing to spend $100+ a year on Flo and no one on earth is going to sign up for Flo without already being a hardcore fan of the sport or a specific wrestler. Flo isn't reaching the casual fan or anyone new.

Wrestling needs to stop catering to the hardcore. If USA Wrestling wants to generate more money and interest long term they have to cast a wider net. 

This is 2018. Get your events on a major network and promote the heck out of it yourself (social media - same as Flo does it). Make your events accessible to hundreds of millions of people instead of the few thousand that are willing to sit in front of a buffering screen for an hour before giving up. Instead of making wrestling harder to get into, make it easier. Tell Flo to keep their $100k and grow the sport! 

Edited by superbowlhomeboy

I would like to see events such as the WTT, US Open, and this year's X-Treme Championships on a real network. These networks have broadcast these events in the past and want wrestling but are not willing to outbid Flo. 

if "real" networks wanted these events you would see them there. they are not being out bid. they are not bidding, and they aren't doing anything with the wrestling media rights that they already have.

and which events are in the past are you referring to? NBC has the Olympic team trials and they buried them. 

This is 2018. Get your events on a major network and promote the heck out of it yourself (social media - same as Flo does it). Make your events accessible to hundreds of millions of people instead of the few thousand that are willing to sit in front of a buffering screen for an hour before giving up. Instead of making wrestling harder to get into, make it easier. Tell Flo to keep their $100k and grow the sport! 

USA Wrestling does promote the hell out of their events. they do a great job on social media imo. they also make their events available free on youtube 72 hours after the events go live. 

I know it would be nice if major networks covered wrestling like a major sport. but they don't! wishing it would happen won't make it so. again, take my opinion for what it's worth but ignoring the companies that do want to stream and promote wrestling and just giving it away hoping that some "real" network will spend time, money and resources trying to grow the sport is not the smartest of strategies.