GranbyTroll

What happened to Thielke?

Here's the thing with Thielke: to this day, he is probably the best youth wrestler I've ever seen (Izzy Martinez is close), and maybe one of the top 10 HS wrestlers. He was senior level greco talent in HS, so it wasn't even fair. It was Kolat-esque. Greco at that level is an entirely different sport from elite folkstyle, so with the exception of maybe some heavyweights, you aren't going to see crossover athletes at the highest level (actually making world/olympic teams and winning matches vs. placing at the open). Freestyle is different.

That being said, look at all the multiple time NCAA champs that will probably never get, or never got a chance to do what Jesse has done at a young age. So there is no way that he could be considered a "bust" or a "waste", LOL. His good buddy Alex Dieringer won 3x NCAA titles and hasn't cracked that level.

Serves as a cautionary tale for college coaches and high level greco athletes.

Greco is a joke in the US. Far more difficult to do what Dieringer did, than what Thielke did.

Here's the thing with Thielke: to this day, he is probably the best youth wrestler I've ever seen (Izzy Martinez is close), and maybe one of the top 10 HS wrestlers. He was senior level greco talent in HS, so it wasn't even fair. It was Kolat-esque. Greco at that level is an entirely different sport from elite folkstyle, so with the exception of maybe some heavyweights, you aren't going to see crossover athletes at the highest level (actually making world/olympic teams and winning matches vs. placing at the open). Freestyle is different.

That being said, look at all the multiple time NCAA champs that will probably never get, or never got a chance to do what Jesse has done at a young age. So there is no way that he could be considered a "bust" or a "waste", LOL. His good buddy Alex Dieringer won 3x NCAA titles and hasn't cracked that level.

Serves as a cautionary tale for college coaches and high level greco athletes.

I don’t think the dieringer comparison is fair or accurate

Ringer is maybe 3rd stringfor the US, but that’s because we are way better at freestyle.

Thielke being our Olympic rep for Greco doesn’t mean he is better than Ringer is at freestyle. He did qualify the weight for the Olympics, but other than that, he has about the same level of success internationally as Theilke.

I do respect Thielke’s honesty about Wisconsin. While I’m sure there disagree with him, I do think he is being honest based on his experience.

Greco is a joke in the US. Far more difficult to do what Dieringer did, than what Thielke did.

If Greco were easier, more people would be doing it.

I remember thielke throwing Nick Simmons around like a wet rag.

I don’t think the dieringer comparison is fair or accurate

Ringer is maybe 3rd stringfor the US, but that’s because we are way better at freestyle.

Thielke being our Olympic rep for Greco doesn’t mean he is better than Ringer is at freestyle. He did qualify the weight for the Olympics, but other than that, he has about the same level of success internationally as Theilke.

I do respect Thielke’s honesty about Wisconsin. While I’m sure there disagree with him, I do think he is being honest based on his experience.

Thielke did beat Ringer in high school, though!

Sounds right. I recall him moving from 33 starter to backup 41. He might have worked into the lineup again later that year.

This was part of the strain on the relationship with Davis.  Barry wanted Thielke at 133, and when he didn't make weight, Barry said he wasn't "buying in" to the program.  And if my memory is correct, Barry wanted this shift to 133 last minute, I think Theilke was anticipating being at 141 all offseason.

I don't think thielke was a total bust or a waste, but he was on the d1 college level.

He made the choice between two good opportunities...going for Olympics or a solid education.

You can get a college degree at any age.

The window to succeed on the world stage at wrestling is short.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I know nothing, but did watch Thielke for many years.  I feel if he would have went to many other colleges he would have been successful at the NCAA level.  WI, he loved, and was loyal to, but it wasn't the place for him.  Some coaches are not willing to work with the different styles and types of kids that come to them.  (or don't know how.)